Trustee & wage attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee & wage attachment

Can a trustee have your employer send him a copy of all your earned income and deductions for the year, or is that why he needs your income tax returns every year? I send him a copy of my returns every year along with any refund. Just wondering if he`s comparing my return with a company readout. Does he have that kind of power?

Yes. The Trustee checks everything - or I should say the Trustee's staff checks everything.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by maddog2112 View Post
      Can a trustee have your employer send him a copy of all your earned income and deductions for the year, or is that why he needs your income tax returns every year? I send him a copy of my returns every year along with any refund. Just wondering if he`s comparing my return with a company readout. Does he have that kind of power?
      Could your trustee request this information? Yes. However, it would be very unusual for your trustee to ask for income verification from your employer if you are providing him/her with your annual tax returns.

Since you can go to jail for falsifying your tax returns, unless the trustee has a suspicion that you did lie about your income and were paid significantly more that you entered on your tax forms, why else would he/she ask your employer to verify what they paid you?

Trustees are busy people. They don't do ANYTHING unless there's a strong possibility there's more $$s in it for your creditors. As long as your tax returns are accurate, then even in the rare instance that your trustee would ask for employer verification, the income information should match up anyway, right?
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Just curious as to trustee procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
          Yes. The Trustee checks everything - or I should say the Trustee's staff checks everything.
          As lrprn stated above, unless there are specific circumstances for the trustee to request information from one's employer, the requested tax returns that one usually has to send in each year after filing provide the information the Trustee needs as to required financial information. If there is a big discrepancy as to an increase in income, the Trustee will investigate. Usually the Trustee does not require statements or payroll records from employers unless there may be a job change where proof of income is needed, proof of job loss needed or proof of a new job is needed if there is a job or income change during one's Chapter 13.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. This site is the best!!

Comment

My trustee has never requested tax returns. Do you think at the end he might ask to see them and if so, could he then decide to adjust the payment? Or if he doesn't want returns, do you figure he doesn't care as long as the payments get made on time? (right now shouldn't be an issue, my income has increased but hubby's has decreased by more than my raises, but possibility in future we could make more than the original budget...)
              Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
              Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Consider yourself lucky if your trustee doesn`t ask for yearly tax returns. Does he take any part of your returns? Ours wants all of any returns plus the tax returns aven though he gets all of his payments from my wage attachment. If yours doesn`t ask, I wouldn`t worry about it. He`ll probably be content at the end of 60 months with whatever you`ve payed in. Mine wants the return so he can increase my payment if I make a penny over what I made last year.Thats how I jumped from 75% payback to 80% payback last year.

Comment

I will hopefully be discharged within the next 30-60 days. My wage attachment should be over, as the court has signed off on it.

Since my filing in 10/2004 I have never ever heard from the trustee on anything.

I have kept my refunds, have never been asked for tax returns.

The only communication with the Trustees office has been initiated by me, and has been through email
                  60 Month "Old Law"
                  Filed 10/4/2004
                  Confirmed 1/2005
                  Discharged 9/8/2009

Comment

Why is there so much inconsistency from one district to another? My trustee takes your tax returns but, according to my attorney, he rarely seeks an increase in anybody's monthly payment. However, in the neighboring district they take your tax returns and often raise the amount one pays. In the other neighboring district the Trustee looks at your tax returns but lets you keep any refund under $2,000 but will often seek to increase one's payment. Three districts within two states and they all do it a diffferent way. Why is it not uniform across the nation or even uniform within the same state?

Comment

Originally posted by broncho14 View Post
                      Why is it not uniform across the nation or even uniform within the same state?
                      Because underlying State law influences the federal bankruptcy code, dramatically. This is why you can have different policies in one District versus another.

The, on top of that, add different judges with different opinions of how the code works. Many Bankruptcy Judges have sat on the bench for years if not decades.
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by maddog2112 View Post
                        Consider yourself lucky if your trustee doesn`t ask for yearly tax returns. Does he take any part of your returns? Ours wants all of any returns plus the tax returns aven though he gets all of his payments from my wage attachment. If yours doesn`t ask, I wouldn`t worry about it. He`ll probably be content at the end of 60 months with whatever you`ve payed in. Mine wants the return so he can increase my payment if I make a penny over what I made last year.Thats how I jumped from 75% payback to 80% payback last year.
                        The question is about tax RETURNS (forms), not tax REFUNDS. Just FYI.
                        Filing for parents: Dad w/ dementia, mother working at 71, 3 special needs g'kids
                        Rental property equity: $100,000, Consumer debt: $120,000
                        First meeting with attorney 12/16/08
                        Upshot: 60 mo plan, ~80% payback, rentals to trust & mom retires!

Comment

I emailed my tax return to my attorney last year, never heard anything back from her. I assume she got it and passed it on to the trustee.
                          Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
                          Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
                          Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X