401K Contribution Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401K Contribution Question

According to the new bankruptcy laws you are allowed to continue contributing to your 401k plan.

If your attorney says the trustee is ok with it, then what more do you need to know?

Im not too sure about the X number of months thing, it might just be the trustees personal preference, which may be fought in court if you so choose to.

He wants to make sure your not all of the sudden gonna start contributing to the 401k to get out of disposable monthly income that would go to the creditors. Which, that would be his argument in court, and would be left with the Judge to decide.

Comment

Most people are in such financial disaster before they file Chapter 13 that the majority have already stopped contributing to 401(k)'s and cannot save a penny. They have no money to save and maybe want to keep their house and are able to file a Chapter 13. Whether or not those people would be able to carve out money to save in a Chapter 13 is something that would need to be discussed with their attorney. Our concern at that time was not what we could save but how we could get out of the mess we were in. I had stopped contributing during the year prior to our filing cause we needed the extra money. When we were in our Plan about two years I asked our attorney if I would be able to contribute to my 401(k) since I had changed employers and they matched 100% up to 6% of contributed funds. I was told a small percentage would be OK and to stop it if interferred with making our Plan or any other bills while in the Plan. I contributed 1% so it would not affect our already tight household budget.

When it comes to 401(k) funds, I would discuss the situation one on one with one's attorney because if you are in financial disaster, saving 6% or any other percentage your employer may match into a 401(k) plan just may not be possible.
      Last edited by Flamingo; 02-03-2009, 04:16 AM. Reason: Added sentence

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

fyi....Many bk local courts set a maximum amount that can be contributed to a 401K when you are in Ch 13. For example, our trustee with the blessing of our local court judge allows a maximum of 5% of each Ch 13 filer's total gross income can be contributed towards retirement. Otherwise, it's possible that every filer would maximize retirement contributions to the level that they would have no disposable income and be able to file Ch 7 and "beat the system".

About retirement contributions and paying back retirement loans at the same time.... We ended up as a test case for this in our bk district. My husband took out several loans against his retirement before we filed which we were paying back, and we also wanted to continue to contribute to our 401Ks as well. We indicated such on our B22C forms when we filed in 2006.

Our trustee said this was "double-dipping" by paying ourselves back with disposable income rather than paying that money to our creditors and still taking more disposable income to continue retirement contributions as the law allows. He filed an objection against confirmation contesting this. After briefs were filed by our lawyer and our trustee, we then had a hearing in front of our local bk judge. Our judge ruled that the trustee's interpretation was wrong. We were allowed to continue paying back our 401K loans *and* also continue to make retirement contributions up to 5% of our gross incomes each for the life of our plan. A victory for us and for others who can now use the case law from our situation to bolster doing the same thing when they file
        Last edited by lrprn; 02-03-2009, 08:38 AM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I stopped contributing to my 401K a couple years ago in order to help make ends meet. But it would appear that the bk code would allow me to begin to contribute again instead of paying that money to unsecured creditors.

It seems very black and white to me, and I find it fascinating that it's handled differently all over the place.

Comment

Whether you can, and the amount of 401(k) contributions is still under litigation and scrutiny, although the new BAPCPA 2005 Code says that you can. The bankruptcy code doesn't say how much though.

There are Trustees who believe that you cannot contribute. This is just wrong.

There are Trustees who limit how much you can contribute. This is just wrong.

The real deal is that you should be able to contribute the maximum "non-taxable" amount each year. Congress, when they added the language, didn't indicate a percentage either.

I contribute 10% to mine, and had no issue with the Trustee... and I'm in a 0.2% plan. No creditor bothered me either.

I think in most cases, where there is pushback, it comes from the Trustee!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X