question about reaffirming debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about reaffirming debt

When does the reaffirming of a debt occurs? Is it done after the 341 meeting or is there a special form my attorney completes and submits with the petition? I reviewed my petition and I don't see any paperwork for keeping my car and home.

On your Statement of Intentions (in your petition) did you select "reaffirm" for your car and home? If so, then the reaffirmation is usually prepared by the creditor and sent to your attorney. If you are looking to change the terms of the agreement, contact the BK dept of the creditor to negotiate. I know you can do that with the car, depending upon the creditor. I don't know if that will work with the house.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

the mortgage is being paid outside the plan and is current. The auto is being paid within and will be crammed down. I owe $21,000 and the car is worth $14,000. My lawyer filed the petition but I noticed a few errors on the papers so he held off from sending the entire package.

Comment

Reaffirmation is only used in a chapter 7 BK. Definately do not want to sign one for the auto, or you will not be able to cram down the loan. Do not sign any reaffirmation papers. Since you are filing a BK 13, no property is being forfeited, or home foreclosed so their is no reason for a reaffirmation of debt.

Please consult your attorney on this.

Comment

thank you so much, I was just wondering why my attorney did not mention it because he did say the vehicle will be crammed down at our first meeting.

Comment

As with us, your vehicle will be crammed into your Plan. When your vehicle is paid off you will receive the title directly from the lender. Both our vehicles (we had two crammed vehicles) were paid off prior to the end of our Plan.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Sorry OP, ignore what I said earlier - I didn't see that this is the Ch 13 forum.
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by jgarton244 View Post
                Reaffirmation is only used in a chapter 7 BK.
                This is *NOT* corrrect. Ch 13 assets also are to be declared as reaffirmed, redeemed, or surrendered as well.

Please consult your attorney on this.
                This I agree with
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Just adding to what lrprn wrote...

While Chapter 13 does have a reaffirmation, it is only technical in nature. There is no reaffirmation agreement as done in a Chapter 7.

The purpose of declaring reaffirmation, surrender or redemption in a Chapter 13, is to put the creditor on notice as to your disposition of the asset as part of your Plan of Reorganization.

Simply put, you say whether you're going to keep, return, or purchase the item.

Keeping (re-affirming) the item requires you to file a Plan which provides adequate protection as well as payments to the creditor.

Returning (surrendering) requires you to abandon and/or surrender the property to the creditor.

Purchasing (redemption) requires you to provide fair market value for the property to the creditor, immediately. This can not be paid "through" the Plan.

Hope that makes sense!
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X