2nd job during Chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd job during Chapter 13

I've been confirmed since September of last year, and I will be one year into my CH13 next month. I was wondering would the trustee object to me picking up a second job. I was thinking about doing so for tuition reimbursement purposes, and to help pad my savings a little. I don't need the second job, but it would be nice to have it.
    Filed CH 13 07/18/08
    341 Meeting 09/03/08
    Confirmed 10/14/08
    Stats: $322 payment, 22/39 Completed

Originally posted by reb512 View Post
    I've been confirmed since September of last year, and I will be one year into my CH13 next month. I was wondering would the trustee object to me picking up a second job.
    The only problem is that the second job increases your disposable income.

Unless your plan is a 100% payback to your creditors, depending on the amount your disposable income is increased by the second job, if your trustee knows about the second job he/she could petition the court to increase your monthly payment accordingly. Your trustee's job is to secure as much payback to your creditors as possible, not to make your life a little easier by giving you a bit of financial breathing room.

Did your trustee tell you verbally or in writing that he/she wants to be notified of any increases in income? Does your trustee want to see copies of your tax returns every year of your plan?
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

In most cases, getting a second job in a Chapter 13... is getting a second job to pay more to the unsecured creditors. (See lrprn's explanation above.)

So, it would be totally fruitless to do so, unless you have a negative DMI and are trying to at least bring a little more money into the household. Too much money, and you just end up sending it to the Trustee. (Exceptions for 100% plans.)
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

You are not in control of your financial affairs during your Plan years - your Trustee is. If you go out and get a second job and do not inform the Trustee, and your attorney, of your rise in income, hello Chapter 13 dismissal.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

The only time I was told anything about increase income was at my 341 meeting and they asked me if I expected my income to change in the next 12 months. So if I were to pick up a second job it would be out of the realm of the 12 months.

I thought about running this by my attorney, but I figured I could just get the same informaton on here, since I usually get answers from his secretary lol. Like I said before I'm not hurting, and I don't need the second job, so if it will cause me a big headache later on, than I won't go down that road.

I'm not paying 100% back to my creditors only around 2% back. From all of your answers I"m not going to pick up the second job. I don't need to be paying the creditors anymore than they are getting
          Filed CH 13 07/18/08
          341 Meeting 09/03/08
          Confirmed 10/14/08

Comment

Also, I almost forgot. My trustee doesn't ask for yearly tax returns on bank statements. I just had to show them when I filed and that's it. I have the required debtors education meeting on the 9th.
            Filed CH 13 07/18/08
            341 Meeting 09/03/08
            Confirmed 10/14/08

Comment

My trustee doesn't ask for yearly tax returns on bank statements.
              You have one of the nice Districts!
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Also, I almost forgot. My trustee doesn't ask for yearly tax returns on bank statements. I just had to show them when I filed and that's it. I have the required debtors education meeting on the 9th.
                You may not have to provide them but they can be asked for at any time during your Plan.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X