Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson learned. Rant.

Fiddlesticks.

Last month I specifically asked my trustee (himself) if I could pay my monthly plan installment using my online bill pay. He replied saying that he could not accept electronic forms of payment.

Knowing that my bank issues a paper form of a check, that gets physically mailed and is not electronic (unless the payee does accept electronic transfers) I thought, great, and scheduled the plan payment through online bill payment.

Today I got the bank's bill payment check returned to me in the mail from the Trustee's office with a threat of dismissal, because they don't take checks. Period. Not personal checks, not business checks, not personal business checks, not any kind of checks.

grrrrr....

Fortunately my payment isn't due until much later in the month, and the bank said it would only take 48 hours for the funds to be restored to my account so I can go get a money order in plenty of time.

I'm not worried. Just aggravated because I did specifically ask!

So now I am wondering, if they accept wage garnishments, surely those must be paid as checks, aren't they?

Whatever. It's no big deal, I guess. I was just trying to save some money and trips into town and certified mail fees, because I am absolutely paranoid about sending a money order in the mail every month. I'm on pins and needles until it posts.

At least if an online bill payment check gets lost in the mail or doesn't post on time, my bank is very helpful about tracking it and stopping the payment if necessary and reissuing it, and I am not out any money for it.

[/close vent]

This is so stupid! The check the bank sends through online bill pay is basically a cashiers check and would not be sent unless you had sufficient funds. It's as good as a money order and just as easy for a trustee to deal with.

I don't understand why a trustee wouldn't allow debtors to use online billpay which is the easiest way to make sure payments are made on time every month. Instead of using the technology available, a person who is supposed to have stable employment in order to make plan payments is forced to find time to wait in line at the post office for a money order.

I agree: GRRRRRRR!
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
      So now I am wondering, if they accept wage garnishments, surely those must be paid as checks, aren't they?
      Wage garnishments are paid as checks. My company runs the garnishment checks about 7 days before the payroll runs. They say it's easier that way. Then they mail them off in stacks of similar addresses. Saves them on postage too.

Whenever a Trustee says no personal checks, that includes On-Line bill payment checks... unfortunately.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

ouch...

our trustee takes personal checks, money orders, cashiers checks, etc. Just cant pay him electronically unless its a wage garnishment. We're currently paying him directly via personal check, but will do direct pay via payroll deduction once it gets set up.

Comment

I was required to garnish my wages, no if ands or buts... In Nebraska, oh well, they get it before I do, and only 24 months to go out of 60!

Comment

Originally posted by justdeb View Post
            ouch...

our trustee takes personal checks, money orders, cashiers checks, etc. Just cant pay him electronically unless its a wage garnishment. We're currently paying him directly via personal check, but will do direct pay via payroll deduction once it gets set up.
            Mines is the same. I did personal checks for about 4 months until they got my garnishment going...
            CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
            Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

Comment

jb. Do you think I could get him to accept bill pay on a motion?

Comment

My stuff can't be garnished, so I can't set it up that way, otherwise I would.

Comment

That seems so crazy to me in this day of electronic banking. So is a money order the only option? You have to mail a money order every month for 5 years? 60 of them? That sucks.
                  attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
                  no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
                  341, 05/10/2010
                  discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

What I don't get is why he didn't just tell me NO when I specifically asked him if I could. But that is not what he said! He said no electronic forms of payment.

Comment

Wow, they won't even take a cashier's check? That's crazy. My trustee will take electronic payments through automatic debit from a checking account, but they are very inflexible with the dates. They do 2 days a month and neither works for me for when my pay dates fall and when my payments are due. So I'm stuck going to the bank every month for a cashier's check. I'd be upset if I had to find a place that issues money orders and go there every month. What a pain!
                      Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
                      341 meeting - 4/2010
                      Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Lissy View Post
                        Wow, they won't even take a cashier's check? That's crazy. My trustee will take electronic payments through automatic debit from a checking account, but they are very inflexible with the dates. They do 2 days a month and neither works for me for when my pay dates fall and when my payments are due. So I'm stuck going to the bank every month for a cashier's check. I'd be upset if I had to find a place that issues money orders and go there every month. What a pain!
                        Wal-Mart and the post office aren't very difficult to find, and both of those places sell money orders. Knowing where to get one is not the problem.

Comment

No, not difficult to find, but impossible to get in and out in a reasonable amount of time. I avoid WalMart like the plague and the post office isn't much better. My bank is right across the street from my office, so for me, that's much easier.
                          Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
                          341 meeting - 4/2010
                          Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

Originally posted by justdeb View Post
                            our trustee takes personal checks, money orders, cashiers checks, etc.
                            I love your Trustee! Ours complains that they get too many bounced checks.
                            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                              I love your Trustee! Ours complains that they get too many bounced checks.
                              Did you catch my question jb? Do you think I can make a motion and ask the court to have the Trustee accept bill pay? Heck, if he tries it, he might like it!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X