top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what percentage of an inheritance the trustee would get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What this really should come down to is what the person who made you a beneficiary wants to happen with his or her money. Does this person know you are in bankruptcy and what might happen to the money if they die before you are discharged (or 180 days after, I'm not sure how that works in a 13)? Perhaps they believe you should pay your creditors with the money. Or maybe that is the last place they want the money to go. If they don't want your creditors to get the inheritance, they can amend their estate plan to name a different beneficiary or, depending on state laws, perhaps create a trust for your benefit that will limit what can go to creditors. It's really not up to you, except to let the person know what's going on and letting them discuss options with an estate planning attorney.

If you regret filing Chap 13 and the decision to save the house, talk to your attorney about your options. But don't make any decisions based on an inheritance of an unknown amount that you may or may not receive before the end of your plan.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by espo1357 View Post
      its a certainity that I will be let go of my job soon, so, its better to do the 7 eventually, isn't it?
      From my experience, a Chapter 7 discharge is surely much easier, but I did spend almost 2 years in my Chapter 13.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
        What this really should come down to is what the person who made you a beneficiary wants to happen with his or her money. Does this person know you are in bankruptcy and what might happen to the money if they die before you are discharged (or 180 days after, I'm not sure how that works in a 13)? Perhaps they believe you should pay your creditors with the money. Or maybe that is the last place they want the money to go. If they don't want your creditors to get the inheritance, they can amend their estate plan to name a different beneficiary or, depending on state laws, perhaps create a trust for your benefit that will limit what can go to creditors. It's really not up to you, except to let the person know what's going on and letting them discuss options with an estate planning attorney.

If you regret filing Chap 13 and the decision to save the house, talk to your attorney about your options. But don't make any decisions based on an inheritance of an unknown amount that you may or may not receive before the end of your plan.

Thanks.
        that seems like the best idea. the inheritance should not be the big factor, really. it has more to do with the house. the inheritance can always be changed, like you said.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
          I am not sure why people freak out over this issue. I guess it is the vision of dollar signs in their head when they see the inheritance. However, if you really think about it, the situation is a wash...what are you actually going to do.

1. If you had not filed BK 13, and got the inheritance, you would probably have used it to pay off your debt or some portion of it anyway?
          2. If you are in a 13, it is more cost effective to pay off the 13 than dismissing. If you dismiss, all the debt comes back to life and you are back to square one and most of the time, it will cost you more to resolve the debt at that time.

In the BIG picture, it would be a very rare set of circumstances where it made sense to dismiss a chapter 13 because of a large inheritance. The GOAL is to be out of debt; initially, you were using chapter 13 to do that, if an inheritance comes along, then you use it.

I understand.
          But, what if the inheritance is going to cover the BK plan, and then what?

If I have to pay back 50k over 5 years for example, but have 150k in debt, then that is a good deal, of course.

but, if the inheritance is 300k, then what happens? Does the 50k just get paid, and I am done. Or does the entire 150k have to get paid.

Also, I am under 100k on the house, so why would I want to have to use my inheritance to pay off the arrears on the house?

Called about 5 lawers today, and nobody had an answer.

Its all about making a good business decision.

Comment

Side question.... does Florida use garnishments for trustee payments?

Comment

I understand.
              But, what if the inheritance is going to cover the BK plan, and then what?

If I have to pay back 50k over 5 years for example, but have 150k in debt, then that is a good deal, of course.

but, if the inheritance is 300k, then what happens? Does the 50k just get paid, and I am done. Or does the entire 150k have to get paid.

Also, I am under 100k on the house, so why would I want to have to use my inheritance to pay off the arrears on the house?

Called about 5 lawers today, and nobody had an answer.

Its all about making a good business decision.
              I think your most important point out of all this is that you will lose your job soon. There is no guarantee you will receive this inheritance any time soon and without a job you cannot even fund a Chapter 13. You need to take one step at a time and realize most people going into Chapter 13's are beneficiaries in someone's will and don't even know it. Have you actually seen a copy of the will in which you are mentioned as a beneficiary? Or is this all just hearsay from a relative? You need to get your BK organized first after your job loss because you need to find out if you can find employment ASAP to continue your Plan, modify, switch to a Chapter 7, etc. We went through the inheritance thing in a Chapter 13 with the unexpected death of my father-in-law. All that needed to be reported to the attorney and trustee as the inheritance was part of our financial estate/house during the Chapter 13. Also with BK comes anxiety over every little detail and events that may or may not occur. Take one step at a time - your major worry is your job loss at this point.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by ShooFly View Post
                Side question.... does Florida use garnishments for trustee payments?
                Technically it's not a garnishment. It's a Wage Deduction. Generally speaking, most Trustees prefer that you get a Wage Deduction Order entered but I haven't seen that it's a requirement. In the end, it's better that you do.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  I think your most important point out of all this is that you will lose your job soon. There is no guarantee you will receive this inheritance any time soon and without a job you cannot even fund a Chapter 13. You need to take one step at a time and realize most people going into Chapter 13's are beneficiaries in someone's will and don't even know it. Have you actually seen a copy of the will in which you are mentioned as a beneficiary? Or is this all just hearsay from a relative? You need to get your BK organized first after your job loss because you need to find out if you can find employment ASAP to continue your Plan, modify, switch to a Chapter 7, etc. We went through the inheritance thing in a Chapter 13 with the unexpected death of my father-in-law. All that needed to be reported to the attorney and trustee as the inheritance was part of our financial estate/house during the Chapter 13. Also with BK comes anxiety over every little detail and events that may or may not occur. Take one step at a time - your major worry is your job loss at this point.
                  Job loss is coming for sure.

May I ask, what percentage did they take from your inheiritance?

I am definitely getting the inheritance, so I think I am just going to request dismissal or miss the payments OR file the 7 if I qualify (then again, filing a 7 is a risk because of the 180 day rule).

Perhaps the best move is just dismiss (I have no judgements anyway) the 13 and then let them come get me.

If it gets really bad, I go to a 7 when I qualify (and I will soon).

Circumstances changed when my parent got sick, and I have no idea how long they will live, and then I file a 13 to save the home (bad move, as the house is not worth anything), and a few cc's that don't even have judgements or garnishments or anything. My attorney is a good guy, but he was looking to get paid and didn't have my best interest in mind (looking back) because I should have never tried to keep the home (my fault, being stubborn).

Thanks for your response.

Comment

Job loss is coming for sure.
                    May I ask, what percentage did they take from your inheiritance?
                    The Trustee took half of the amount my husband received after all necessary estate bills were paid, house sold, etc.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                      The Trustee took half of the amount my husband received after all necessary estate bills were paid, house sold, etc.
                      Thanks again for your response.

But, what do you think would happen if the inheritance is well above the debt? And with a home upside down?

Comment

If the person has not died yet, and you can talk about this with them, you can have a spendthrift trust created to hold the assets and protect them from creditors. Or if you have other siblings, you might as well get yourself dis-inherited so at least the BK case doesn't get your parents money.
                        filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
                          If the person has not died yet, and you can talk about this with them, you can have a spendthrift trust created to hold the assets and protect them from creditors. Or if you have other siblings, you might as well get yourself dis-inherited so at least the BK case doesn't get your parents money.

Finally, a straight answer.

That is what I was looking for. Not what I wanted to hear, but that's what I thought.

The "wolves" are not getting a dime, that is for sure.

Comment

You should probably talk with your parents and siblings and offer to front the legal costs to change their will to support a spendthrift trust. This will look to them (hopefully) like you're taking a responsible step to protect their assets.

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
                              You should probably talk with your parents and siblings and offer to front the legal costs to change their will to support a spendthrift trust. This will look to them (hopefully) like you're taking a responsible step to protect their assets.
                              Thanks Lumbergh. What was that guy's name anyway?

Guess I need to get my head out of my ass on this. Should have told them right away when I filed, and not let it get to this point.

Pride sucks.

Comment

Milton eventually burned down the building he worked in, and ran off to the Bahamas with the loot.

That option might work for the inheritance issue also. Head for the border.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X