top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chapter 13 Plan Payment Method (especially Eastern Claifornia people!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 Plan Payment Method (especially Eastern Claifornia people!)

OK - I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but still waiting for my 341 meeting, confirmation, first payment, etc is filling my brain and dominating my thoughts like 90% of my day. Until this is settled and going the "unknown factor" of it all is taking its toll on me.

I asked before how people make payments when electronic transfer is not acceptable. I'm trying to avoid a wage order (the only option other than cashier's check with my trustee) and the $6 my bank charges for a casher's check is kind of like adding insult to injury. Can I list that as an expense..? (just joking!)

Someone posted that they use Billpay via their bank. Having looked into it, although it is a check it is not a cashier's check, as required by my trustee.

OK - so I mail a cashier's check every month. Fine. Do you guys, at least for the most part, trust USPS to get your payment there safely and on time or is certified mail vs. UPS/FedEX 3-day a better way to go..? I called USPS and I can send a certified letter to a PO box (they have to sign for it when they pick up their mail - will that just piss them off?), but the UPS/FedEx folks need a street address (which my trustee provides for "overnighted payments, but will using that every month just piss them off, too?).

In reading over this I come off like I'm some sort of paranoid,, but it's really just my desire to make my Chap 13 plan work (side question: why do more than 60% of Chapter 13 plans fail..? That does not help me feel very good...). I want to be a good debtor and do my time and get this behind me and my family.

All suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

--13for60
    Filed Chapter 13 - 10/05/10
    341 Scheduled - 11/10/10

Great question. I too would like to know this.

Comment

You dont know how much your CH. 13 payment is but you filed on 5 October? Holy smokes! Uhm... why hasnt your attorney told you the amount? It should be in your paperwork as a "guestimate" until Trustee reviews everything. Your 1st payment is due within 30 days of filing. ???

At any rate, I think its easier to let the employer pay our trustee via wage garnishment. Hubby's payroll just cuts a payroll check and mails it into the Trustee. To me, its much easier this way because its not in your paycheck (and you wont be tempted to spend/use it for emergency purposes), you dont have to worry about paying for mailing, and you can track everything by using paystubs. If the trustee doesnt receive it, you have a means to look back very easily and it then becomes your payroll's issue to explain to the trustee.

If you opt to send it yourself - then I'd get tracking of some sort on it every time you mail it. Most trustee's payments go to a PO box first for processing, not the trustee directly. We org. began as paying our trustee ourselves and on average it took about 10 days to post to our account, so make sure if you do it, you leave ample time for him to receive accounting for holidays and weekends.

Comment

Pandora: Oh, I definitely know what my estimated payment is, pending confirmation of course. I'm in the $3k range. It makes me cry everytime I think about it, and we've made some changes to accommodate for that payment. I know the creditors want their money - I want to give it to them - but it's hord to not feel that this process is not punitive.

At my workplace, wage garnishments are frowned upon by management. Even in the electronic world we live in, the check has to be cut and signed by hand, which (although minimal) slows the process down and costs the employer extra money in terms of staff time and postage. Besides, I'm so trying to keep this private - over sixty monthly payments (or 130 payroll deductions) I have no doubt that word will get out and the judgements of people who don't know me or my circumstances will be made. Silly, I know, but I'm still hung up on going BK is something to be ashamed of. Reading other posts about overcoming this, and the many reasons why no shame shouild be involved, has been empowering, but I'm a slow learner when it comes to this. I'll be Ok in time, but right now I feel as though I wear a scarlet "BK" on my shirt.

I don't know why in this day and age nice, simple anonymous electronic payroll deduction is not an option with our Trustee. I've read on this board that other districts do it that way. You are absolutely correct about a paper trail - it's in my check stub and I would have bank routing numbers and receipts to back it all up. Dreams are free, right..?

--13for60
        341 Scheduled - 11/10/10

Comment

I send money orders every month. Yes, it is a pain to have to go to the bank and get it. My bank charges $5, but I go to the same branch every month and most times, they don't charge me. But even when they do, it's just $5. I do worry about it getting there on time and really having no way to track it if it gets lost. But I haven't had a problem yet. I don't do certified mail or FedEx, just regular USPS. I'm not going to pay for those services when the USPS has done just fine so far.

My TT gave me stickers at my 341. One sheet was filled with address labels for my payments and the other sheet was labels with my last name and case number to attach to my money orders. I think that helps with getting it where it needs to go (you don't have to worry about messing up the address) and getting it processed timely (you don't have to worry about someone not being able to read your case number, etc.).

Relax, it will all be fine.
          Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
          341 meeting - 4/2010
          Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

I am in the Eastern District of CA and have to send a cashier's check each month. But, I bank with Chase and they don't charge me for it. I just trust the USPS to get the mail there safely, I don't send it any special way...
            Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
            0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Well, if you are hoping to avoid a "wage withholding" from your employer, thank your stars you are not on the Northern District of GA with my trustee. If you *have* an employer, then you are going to "volunteer" to have that done...essentially it is policy here, at least with my trustee. I am just glad as hell that after tomorrow's payday, that little issue is going to be moot.

John

P. S. The Order states, in big, bold letters THIS IS NOT A GARNISHMENT
              Filed Chapter 13 pro se: 9/30/2008, 341 Meeting: 11/15/2008, Plan Approved: 1/6/2009, 100% of all claims paid: 10/19/2010. Trustee closed case: 11/5/10 DISCHARGED: 11/18/10

Comment

Originally posted by jcj112562 View Post
                P. S. The Order states, in big, bold letters THIS IS NOT A GARNISHMENT
                Yep... because it's not a garnishment. I love how they keep reiterating that over and over and over again in all the paperwork! They must have had issues before and got sued for "garnishing" a person's wages, when you can't garnish wages due to the Automatic Stay.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I send a postal money order by regular mail. The post office charges $1 for the money order. I'm fortunate to work 4 blocks from a post office. I have a supply of pre-addressed stamped envelopes in my desk. On the 15th of each month, I grab one, walk down to the post office, buy a money order, drop it in the mail and then reward myself with a sandwich from my favorite sandwich place right next to the post office. "The Italian, on a hard roll, East Coast style." Yum!

I check the Chap13 Data Center to make sure the payment is received. If ever it isn't, I'll call my attorney and have him contact the trustee to request a forebearance while I get the money order replaced.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by 13for60 View Post
                    Pandora: Oh, I definitely know what my estimated payment is, pending confirmation of course. I'm in the $3k range. It makes me cry everytime I think about it, and we've made some changes to accommodate for that payment. I know the creditors want their money - I want to give it to them - but it's hord to not feel that this process is not punitive.

At my workplace, wage garnishments are frowned upon by management. Even in the electronic world we live in, the check has to be cut and signed by hand, which (although minimal) slows the process down and costs the employer extra money in terms of staff time and postage.
                    WHEW! It read (to me anyway) that maybe you werent sure what your payment was - sorry about that. Holy crap - your plan is $3K a month for 60 months?! I think that is the highest plan payment I've seen yet on here for a 13 - with the lowest being like $94. I'm sorry your payment is so high - good grief!

Like the others stated, ours is "garnished" but not considered a garnishment in reality. Hubby's paystub states garnishment on it only because they chose to use that term, but even if we chose to transfer $ to say, another account, it would still say the same thing.

Dont feel bad about filing - life happens - and you'd be surprised how many people you work with that have or are considering filing BK. Sign of the times I'm afraid. Hold your head high...you've done nothing to warrant a "scarlet letter".

Comment

Pandora, hold on to your seat! My plan payment was $5,380 then went to $7,400 before I converted.
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                        Pandora, hold on to your seat! My plan payment was $5,380 then went to $7,400 before I converted.
                        *faints*

Good God almighty!

Comment

Postal money order sent by 1st class mail. I buy the money order, a stamp and drop it in the mail every month. Of course you can only buy them up to a max of $1000 for each money order and they are $1.50 each, so it might be a wash with going through your bank.

Comment

All -

Thanks for the advice. You're all right - I need to calm down and go with the flow for a while and see how it shakes out.

$7400..?!?! I thought I was in deep doo-doo!

There is a lot of strength and empowerment to be gleaned from this board - thanks to all!

--13for60
                            341 Scheduled - 11/10/10

Comment

I'm doing a wage deduction from my check, but Walmart has money orders for .69 cents if anyone is interested.
                              Filed Ch 13 10/7/10
                              341 11/5/10
                              Confirmation 12/15/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X