A Rhetorical Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Rhetorical Question...

I have come to understand that some debtors in Chapter 13 actually pay 100 percent of their unsecured debt.

Why, then, would a discharge of debt be necessary if the debt is paid off?

All debt is included in a BK filing. While a mortgage or vehicle may be paid outside a Chapter 13 plan or reaffirmed in a Chapter 7, it is still part of the BK filing and is included as part of the BK.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Here's a perfect example. You file bankruptcy and on Schedule F (Unsecured General Creditors), you put down 20 creditors and you owe them $200K. However, only 10 of the creditors -- representing $100K of the total on Schedule F -- file a claim or are "allowed" a claim. This reduces your "allowed" claims to 10 and total to $100K. The discharge would discharge the $100K in disallowed or un-filed claims.

Trust me... some creditors never even file a claim! I have had at least $40K or so in claims that were never filed and they received notice. A creditor doesn't need to file a claim, but I will let you know this. If your proposed plan indicates that you're going to potentially pay a 100% dividend to the unsecured creditors... they are MORE likely to file a claim. In my 0.2% proposed plan, I can see why some of the creditors didn't want to waste their time and effort to "potentially" collect less than how much it costs them to file a claim.

Best of luck.

(Edited to add... why post a rhetorical question? Methinks a blog is better for such. )
      Last edited by justbroke; 11-14-2010, 08:02 AM.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by kornellred View Post
        I have come to understand that some debtors in Chapter 13 actually pay 100 percent of their unsecured debt.

It's a legal closing of the accounting and administration of the debt repayment plan. It's also a reassurance that interest, late fees, legal fees, etc cannot be tacked on later and hound the debtor.
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

One more reason to add to JB's - a few folks file a 13 to save property assets that have payments in severe arrears or to pay a large amount of overdue taxes through their plan's debt reorganization that takes the pressure off paying in a lump sum and stops collection attempts and garnishments. Not all 13s are filed to deal with unsecured debts.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
            One more reason to add to JB's - a few folks file a 13 to save property assets that have payments in severe arrears or to pay a large amount of overdue taxes through their plan's debt reorganization that takes the pressure off paying in a lump sum and stops collection attempts and garnishments. Not all 13s are filed to deal with unsecured debts.
            Back taxes and payments on homes/cars can be an amazing motivator to file a 13
            Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
            The rebuilding begins

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X