Deconsolidation of 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deconsolidation of 13

Has anyone had experience with deconsolidation of Ch 13 and good bad consequences? Thaks.
    Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
    341- April 28, 2010;
    Confirmed May 25, 2010;
    $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

I've never heard of this term before. Can you explain what it means?

Comment

Deconsolidation is the division of a joint bankruptcy into 2 individual cases.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

This usually happens when there is a divorce and one spouse wants to convert to a Chapter 7, leaving the other spouse in the Chapter 13 dealing with the Plan payments. It can be done but if the debtors are represented by one attorney the proper course for the attorney is to withdraw due to a conflict of interest and refer each spouse to separate counsel.

Once de-consolidated the spouse in the 13 needs to modify or amend the Plan to surrender what ever items he/she is no longer going to pay for thus adjusting the Plan payment accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Des.

Comment

I'll only add that if this is part of a dissolution of marriage, then you certainly want to make sure that this is a coordinated strategy and I highly recommend taking Des' opinion to heart that you should have separate attorneys -- even for the divorce portion. Dissolution of property in the bankruptcy context needs to be carefully done.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X