Chatper 7 Conversion and Credit Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chatper 7 Conversion and Credit Report

I am in the process of converting to a chapter 7. I have been in my 13 for 3 1/2 years. The conversion has the date of filing listed as my original chapter 13 filing date, but the discharge will be in 2012. Does anyone know if the 7 years of credit reporting begins from date of filing or discharge? I hope that it's from the date of filing. If not, it would mean that I will have been affected by the BK for much longer.

Thanks
    Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
    Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
    Discharged April 2012

A Chapter 13 stays on your credit reports for 7 years from the date of filing; 10 years for a Chapter 7. You may have both showing on your credit reports at the same time when you convert and you may have a hard time getting them to use your original filing date for your Chapter 13 as the original date of your filing for your Chapter 7 conversion.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

My attorney told me no matter if you convert or dismiss you will still have 2 bankruptcies on your credit showing the date of filing for both as it is considered 2 separate events.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

I am confused. If the bankruptcy courts use the original filing date as the date for the conversion, why would it show twice?
        Discharged April 2012

Comment

Originally posted by chloe0724 View Post
          I am confused. If the bankruptcy courts use the original filing date as the date for the conversion, why would it show twice?
          Because you filed bk twice - one Ch 13 and one Ch 7. It doesn't matter that the Ch 7 will be converted from your 13 filing date - it's still filing a Ch 7 after filing a Ch 13
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

well I guess it's a moot point now. I think it's a little unfair because circumstances can change so much over 5 years. Because I didn;t qualify for a 7 in the first place, and was forced into a 13, now that I am getting divorced, I have to convert, and will be penalized again.

Oh well, it's already done. My 341 is Fed 20th for the chapter 7.
            Discharged April 2012

Comment

If your case number is the same then it should only show up once. In fact, mine shows up once with the original Chapter 13 filing date. I filed my Chapter 13 case 8/2008 and it was scheduled to roll-off my credit report 8/2015. I converted in 2/2010. My credit bureau was updated to read Chapter 7, same filing date, same case number, and a roll-off of 8/2018!

So, instead of having a Chapter 7 on my report through 2020, mine will roll-off in 2018.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Justbroke, that is wonderful news!! I also filed my 13 in 2008 and the conversion is the case number! Thank you for the hope!! Mine will also drop in 2018 then. How was the conversion process for you? I am stressed out all over again. Should I be? Was your 341 an easy one? What were your circumstances for converting?
                Discharged April 2012

Comment

The conversion was an absolute breeze. The 341 Meeting was scary until it was over. I was expecting to meet the United States Trustee (UST) or his representative. However, it was just me and the Panel Trustee and his assistant. No creditors, no mess, no fuss. If I recall correctly, he told me that since it's a conversion that he only has 3 questions. He asked the 3 questions and then we joked for a bit because he fumbled some words!

I am sure that the Chapter 13 Trustee and the Chapter 7 Trustee "talked". I was qualified for a Chapter 7 from the start, but wanted to save some investment property. I'll never do that again!
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

what were the 3 questions? I hope mine is smooth. I didn"t qualify for a 7 to begin with, but now that I am going through a divorce, I do. How long did it take for you to discharge?
                    Discharged April 2012

Comment

It may have only been two questions. I believe the first was whether I acquired any new assets between the time of filing my Chapter 13 and my Chapter 7. I think the second question was on whether my schedules were accurate or if anything changed. All I remember is that we joked and "concluded" my 341 meeting is laughter!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X