How can I file Pro Se online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I file Pro Se online?

I've finished all the Chapter 7 PDF forms and am confident they are correct. I want to file online. I thought I could use the CM/ECF system to file (the court I'm going to use supports it fully), but I've since learned that personal filers like myself aren't allowed to file that way (I have to use a firm that already has passed the qualifications test and has a filing account).

Is there any other way for someone like myself to file online? Or should I just print everything out and file it manually?

Thanks!

You file it in person. They have to accept paper documents from what they call "non-ECF" users such as non-attorneys. While you could mail the package to the courthouse, the BEST WAY is to deliver them by hand to the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court and wait for them to check them. They'll give you a receipt with the case number.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, justbroke! That's what I'll do.

Comment

You can file online by yourself but it might be a headache. You should also make sure that the one you print out is the document approved by the court. If you need help in document preparation, you can contact [removed by moderator]. They may be able to help with your case.
        Last edited by justbroke; 11-22-2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Individual debtors that are filing Pro Se can not file bankruptcy electronically. In order to file electronically through CM-ECF (Case Management - Electronic Case Files) you are required to not only be a member of the bar association (and in some cases, admitted to practice in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court) but also that you have taken certain training provided by the court.

(An individual could seek out a "registered" attorney to file his/her case, but any sane attorney would not file a case under their name if they had nothing to do with the papers filed.)

Here's the FAQ from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court themselves...

1. Can the general public access CM/ECF to electronically file documents?
          No. Only registered attorneys, trustees and limited filers are authorized to file in CM/ECF.

("limited filers" are those that file claims only)
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I just got my discharge three days ago from a Ch7 pro-se and I found it helpful to deliver all the docs in person. There was one issue with the paperwork that I corrected on the spot that would've been a pain had I mailed them in. Both times I went into the clerk there was nobody in line so I went right up. They were polite; just make sure if you have a question you preface it with, "This is a procedural question..." (and make sure it's a procedural question general to the court, not a legal question specific to your case). The good thing is they'll tell you on the spot of your filings deficient (missing schedules etc), however they won't tell you if it's filled out correctly... so keep that in mind.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X