Husband died. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Husband died. Now what?

We hired a Bk lawyer in February and we were getting ready to file Ch 7 BK June 1 2020. He passed away March 11, 2020. The Bk lawyers office has been closed because of COVID19. What should I do with the 30k life insurance proceeds that are coming ? I don’t want to do anything ‘stupid’ . I was thinking about buying a mobile home since I can’t afford the home we rent on my own.

please be gentle ... I’m very torn apart atm

anmlhaus - I can't respond to your question but I want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Someone should be by who can give you their thoughts.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

anmlhaus, so sorry for your loss. I'm thinking the first thing you need to do regarding your Chapter 7 is contact your attorney and let him/her know about your husband's death and the life insurance benefit. I am sure it will impact your bankruptcy in many ways, but beyond that I cannot offer any advice.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

shipo - I hope you’re doing well. The OP can’t reach their attorney- office is closed 😟
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Originally posted by sophieanne View Post
          shipo - I hope you’re doing well. The OP can’t reach their attorney- office is closed 😟
          Hmmm, my lawyer's office is closed as well, but they sent out a broadcast E-Mail to all of their clients a while back giving us a specific E-Mail address to send our questions to. I asked my attorney earlier this week if she knew how far behind our local courts were due to the virus. She got back to me within a few hours.
          Latent car nut.

Comment

anmlhaus Your post is just heartbreaking. My sincerest and deepest condolences.

At the moment you need to take care of yourself. Your questions, which can be answered in due course, are best answered by your attorney as there are a number of issues in play. Are the funds exempt? If exempt, do they have to be deposited into a segregated account? If they are not exempt what can you do with them to protect them? These and other questions are not suited for a response on this or any other forum since the wrong information could have severe consequences.

Your attorney's office may be closed to appointments but I can assure you that the attorney and many of his/her staff are still working - working from home like me. You need to discuss these issues with the attorney and email is probably the best way to do this. You do not want to make a mistake and considering that your life has just been turned upside down, your judgment regarding advice could get clouded. Talk to the professional before doing anything.

Best regards and, again, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X