Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid a friend for repairs to my home a few months ago

I paid a friend in January to repair some rotted wood on the outside of my house and replace it. He had the skills and the time and I had no idea I would be looking at possible bankruptcy at that point.

I actually need to have a new stair railing installed at my condo because due to health issues I am a fall risk and the one there isn't very sturdy. Am I able to pay him to do the work?

I was just granted an auto accident settlement and I thought that would be a good way to spend it, that improves my health and safety.

Is that allowed?

Hi, roses,

When you ask a question, be sure to give a quick summary of your situation. Don't depend on people to look at your other posts.

You plan to file Chap 7, but not until after you have surgery next year and after your divorce is finalized.

There is no reason you cannot use the money to pay your friend for to do work on your house. You do want to make sure it doesn't look like you are giving your friend money in order to hide it from the bankruptcy trustee. So, you and your friend should enter into a written contract for the work and you should get a receipt for the payment.

The payment you made to your friend a few months ago is very unlikely to even come up in a bankruptcy you will not file for another few months.

Be sure to save some money to pay your attorney fees and filing fee for the bankruptcy!
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you. Yes, I will include background info in the future.

I think it might even be close to a year before I file, next May or June probably. I will have some lengthy recovery after surgery and I need to regain my strength. Thank you for your insights.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X