24 hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 hours

Ok, instead of starting several threads with questions and need for help I'm just going to type it all out here and if you have something that could help, please reply. If not... at least you might feel a little bit better about what you are going through knowing it could always be worse....

On Monday I received the official notice that my case was dismissed due to a summary of schedules not filed. I did a search on the forum to see if this had happened to someone else, found the lovely dingdong and she told me what she did.

Tuesday morning I dropped my daughter off at her class (charter school so no bus) and was at the courthouse before it opened. I filed the summaries and asked about the motion to vacate the dismissal. The clerk didn't know what that was and told me to call the case manager. I did, she wasn't there. I waited as long as I could. I had a 20 min window to go home, change into work clothes and pick my daughter up before going to work. In that 20 min, my car was impounded by the police for a parking violation. I had to call a cab to pick my daughter up from school and take me to the impound lot. They told me I had to get a paper from the dmv to release the car and took the bus to the dmv. DMV told me it would be $521 after 2 1/2 hours of waiting in line and I only had $400 to my name which was my late rent (landlord lets me pay every two weeks) so I walked out of the dmv after getting a horrible attitude from the woman there. Finally got home at 5PM from the bus and trolley after the dmv, defeated, exhausted and still no car.

Today I got up early, took a cab to the courthouse and with the day off from work carefully planned my schedule. BK court first, then walk to the parking enforcement to pay my fine, take the trolley to the dmv and the bus to the impound lot to get the car after borrowing money from a co-worker. I got to the courthouse and discovered that I had left my drivers license at the dmv the day before when they asked for it at the entrance. Great. The guard is really nice, recognized me from before and accepted my photo press credentials as ID. The beautiful smart clerk was there and she pointed me in the right directions. Great, motion filed now to the parking enforcement. Walked 15 blocks to that, paid my fine. Walked to the trolley and went to call my boss, no cell phone. I walked 15 blocks back to the courthouse thinking I left it there, nope. Fortunately when I planned out my day I wrote everything on a list including phone numbers of every place I had to get to that day including the cab company. Cabbie found my phone when my boss called and he heard ringing in the backseat. I had to play find the cabbie for a while and since my schedule to get to the dmv via trolley was now thwarted, I had to just take the cab back home. I called my friend who was loaning me the money and he drove me to the dmv. I got there at 4:30PM, it closes at 5PM and there was a line around the outside of the building.

I got in line and while there the security guard was joking with people who were waiting. I exchanged a few with him and then asked if they had a lost and found because I'd left my license there. God bless his soul, he took me straight into the building to the manager. None of them could find the license and even asked the woman who I'd seen the day before. The manager took me straight to the front counter and let me apply for the duplicate and pay all of my fees related to the impound and now suspended registration from the parking fine and they removed as many penalties as they could get away with. Still cost me $400. The lady handling me this time was funny, she did something and let the F Bomb drop and apologized. I told her not to worry, I'd said it many times myself in the last 24 hours and even came up with new ways to say it. I told her to add "itty and tard" to the end of it and she would feel even better. After I paid for a duplicate license, the woman from yesterday walked up with my license in her hand and said "Oh yea, you left this when you stormed out yesterday. Both the manager and guard asked her first thing when they brought me inside. The when she walked away the other said "don't worry, she's just a b***.

I got out of there with all of that by 4:45PM, impound lot closes at 5PM. Then they told me I need an additional $400 for THEIR fees and if I don't get it by Friday they put a lien on my title, auction off my car and charge me for their efforts. Then the guy got snarky with me and told me maybe now I'd learn my lesson and manage my life a little better. I told him thanks for the advice because I really needed it. I'm a single mom working two jobs, paying 38% of my income in taxes, doing my best to avoid breaking any laws yet still get nailed for parking in front of my own home. Most people have a warm body to crawl into bed with. I have a dialysis machine that I have to pay rent on since I don't have health insurance to go into a clinic. With cronic renal failure, I couldn't get insurance now anyway. I don't qualify for government help with that bill since I work two jobs so my union helps to pay for it. Yup, I'm the real scum of the earth and I need someone to tell me like it is. **shole.

My 341 is scheduled for tomorrow, I still don't have an answer on the motion to vacate the dismissal and I need $150 for my second installment on the filing fee.

So anyone feel better about their lives now? I know it will get better... I'm just waiting for then.

Oh yea, my best friend of 14 years, beloved Kitty passed away on Monday too.

Seriously, please tell me I at least made someone else feel better.
    12/05/08 - filed pro se
    01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
    04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
    6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Aaah man, I wish I felt better but all that caca is so not fair for you. But you did make me thankful of the things that I do have and I wish I could do more to help.

We need to get you some health insurance girlfriend! Can you get some kind of help from your union? Have you exhausted all of your resources?

There are some programs for indigent citizens. Not really gov't funded , but some hospitals have indigent programs ( for people who kind of fall through the cracks between welfare ( Medicaid) and private insurance. Have you tried any of those resources? Have you tried talking to Catholic Charities in your area and see if they can offer any help? Here in California there is the EOC ( Economic Opportunity Commission) who provide services.

What state do you live in?

MAybe someone from your State will know more?

Just keep on fighting, you will eventually get through it. I am a single mom too, with two jobs and I know it can be a huge struggle. My dumb a$$ Landlord never paid the mortgage on my rental home during my entire tenancy and I just got my walking papers from the bank a couple of days ago.

Try not to get discouraged, Things will eventually get back on track for you , you just have to think smart, plan and use every resource available to you while you try to get back on your financial feet. Do one thing at a time and make a plan and stick to it. Write things down and tick off everything you accomplish as you do it so you can see the progress you make. Start with your Ex Parte Motion at the top of your list. Once it is approved, cross it off. Get your 341 over with, cross it off. Make a budget, stick to it. Talk to your LL and keep him informed and see if you can make small payments to get caught up. Do you have a tax return coming? See if he will let you make payments until it comes.

Comment

Hiya DingDong

I'm so sorry to hear about the landlord issues. Finding a new home especially with a bk isn't easy but it is doable. I am transferring in March to LA from San Diego and have already called a few leasing agents who are willing to work with me. I also have a dog so that makes it even more difficult!

My current landlord is a great woman. She's btdt and wants to be different from the rest as a landlord. She runs an animal rescue group and I foster some of her animals that need some extra TLC. I know she will work with me on the rent but I still feel horrible for having to do it since she has done me a favor by renting to me with such bad credit in the first place!

I try to have a sense of humour about it all, without that I have nothing. On the health issues, I could get private insurance for $600 a month and a $2400 deductible. It doesn't cost that much to take care of me if I pay cash... My union is great, they are helping with the machine. UCSD is actually working with me on the rest even though my bill from my time in their ICU is included in the bk. I pay cash for my visits to them and they discount the bill since it is paid in cash. They use me as a case study and I'm a willing guinea pig!

If what doesn't kill us makes us stronger... by now I should be able to bench press our Governator!
      12/05/08 - filed pro se
      01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
      6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

so the violation cost you $400 in fees and to get the car out was another $400? what the heck did you do?
        BTW anything I say here is just me yapping based on my experience. Your milage may vary.

Comment

Do I feel better NO
          Things will get better for you. keep going you will get there.
          Chapter 7 07/30/2008
          341 09/17/2008
          Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

$60 for a parking violation of leaving my car in the same spot for 72 hours, which it never was since I work 6 days a week.

$60 for a new violation for not having a current registration because the former violation suspended my registration.

$250 to register again though yearly registration is only $68 because the registration was suspended for parking violations

$28 for a duplicate drivers license for leaving mine there the day before.

Originally posted by JJL View Post
            so the violation cost you $400 in fees and to get the car out was another $400? what the heck did you do?
            12/05/08 - filed pro se
            6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Believe it or not with the amount of insane crud that happened in the last two days, I actually did have a few moments that I consider bright spots. 1. the cab driver who found my cell. When my boss called, he answered it and told her I was his customer and left my phone in his car. He dropped it off at my work. I still don't have it since it's at my work but that was very kind of him to do. #2 the guard who let me in when I realized I didn't have my drivers license. #3 the smart clerk who gave me what could be considered legal advise which could've gotten her in big trouble. #4 the guard and manager who let me cut in front of the other people waiting in line at the dmv when technically I shouldn't have been able to get in at all at that late hour and the lady who handled all of the fees and managed to take off $121 in penalties (could've been worse)

I did two majorly idiotic things by losing my phone and drivers license and if it hadn't been for those angels, things could've gotten even uglier. I guess that's what happens when you have this much on your plate, you start losing things. Too many things on the brain at once.
              12/05/08 - filed pro se
              6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

you'er a very healthy person I see you can see the positive thing when everything around you is trying to pull you down.
                Last edited by TEW; 01-08-2009, 12:28 AM.
                Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                341 09/17/2008
                Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

After hearing this story blankslate, I will never complain again. I've been through similar insane days which could only be describe the the two words, "what next?".

Please follow up with your case manager tomorrow. Make sure your motion to vacate is docketed and that it's going before the judge in the next day. You did an emergency motion, right?
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hi all,

I called the trustee's number but got an answering machine that gives instructions to mail paperwork. The courthouse opens at 9AM and it's now 9:05. I'm going to give the case manager 5 more minutes to settle in and call.

I did file an emergency motion yesterday and am still not seeing it on pacer. I did get two copies will the filed stamps on them.

I will be so happy tomorrow when I have the car back and answers to all of this. Hopefully I'll be happy with the answers too but at least I'll know which way to go next.
                    12/05/08 - filed pro se
                    6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Goodluck blankslate - I really and truly hope that its happy street from here in.

Comment

I will go look at my BK on PACER and see when it showed up and post back. I think it was the next day, but it may have been more towards the end of the day if I am remembering correctly.

I will post back in a bit.

Comment

Just checked PACER, my ER Ex Parte motion was filed on 12/17, the order to vacate order of dismissal, 12/18, so one day for reinstatement.

I also saw my Trustee Prayer for discharge of duty and no asset was filed yesterday.

So there is great hope for you Blankslate! Keep those fingers crossed, you are abslolutely due for some good news. I have faith!

Did you check on your 341 staus yet?

Comment

Ok, short recap. Got the car back today, everything paid and legal again. Will work on the rent with the landlord tomorrow.

The case manager called and said I didn't not have to attend the 341 because the current status is dimissed on my case and confirmed they do have the motion to vacate the dismissal.

Now, does anyone know what these flags mean on Pacer? I know the dismissed and fees and summary ones and those have been taken care of.

Flags: AwaitClo, DebtEd, MEANSNO, FeeFinal, MiscTick, Dismissed
                            12/05/08 - filed pro se
                            6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

• AwaitClo - Awaiting Close (I assume this was because of the Dismissed Flag. Generally a Motion to Dismiss causes a sort of temporary "stay" for 10 days for you to rebut or motion to vacate the dismissal. This keeps it from autoclosing.)
                              • DebtEd - Debtor "Financial Management" Education DUE
                              • MEANSNO - Passed Means Test (No Means to fund Chapter 13)
                              • FeeFinal - FINAL installment Fee DUE
                              • MiscTick - ??? (Miscellaneous Tickler)
                              • Dismissed - Case Dismissed

Hopefully, they update your Case Dismissed flag tomorrow.

Do you have a final fee due too?
                              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X