amazon/ebay purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amazon/ebay purchases

Every 2 weeks on payday my husband and I will usually order a few books or a dvd on amazon or ebay. Usually around 30-40. Do I need to stop doing this (will it look like a luxury?) or is it ok to continue. It is a direct withdrawal out of checking.

Why not go to the library and get books for free or rent a DVD for $4??
    Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
    341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
    Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by relief13035 View Post
      Why not go to the library and get books for free or rent a DVD for $4??
      Because the local library is really crappy and has absolutely nothing. I can deal without doing it but we do not do anything close to luxurious other than this.

Comment

That depends. If it's your only recreation and it fits within the total amount you have for recreation in your petition that's fine. If you do this, have a gym membership, a subscription to the NY Times, and go skiing twice a month it could be a problem.

Comment

Our local library has a DVD section which the BlockBuster video, across the street, wishes it had.

However, it definitely differs from library to library. I have never checked out a DVD from the library, but my brother does it all the time and loves our library here.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by okiemom2008 View Post
            Every 2 weeks on payday my husband and I will usually order a few books or a dvd on amazon or ebay. Usually around 30-40. Do I need to stop doing this (will it look like a luxury?) or is it ok to continue. It is a direct withdrawal out of checking.
            No it's not over $600.00 on a credit card
            Us cash or your debit card don't charge.
            Chapter 7 07/30/2008
            341 09/17/2008
            Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

If you add up your $30 to $40 biweekly for this for a year total for books or CDs, it's a good bit of cash for items you can probably obtain for less or free and you yourselves have to figure out if you can actually afford that now.
              Last edited by Flamingo; 01-09-2009, 03:25 AM. Reason: Number Change and word change

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                If you add up your $30 to $40 biweekly for this for a year total for books or CDs, it's a good bit of cash for items you can probably obtain for less or free and you yourselves have to figure out if you can actually afford that now.
                I think OP wants to know if it will be a problem with the court and it will not.
                Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                341 09/17/2008
                Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

No, it won't be a problem, just count it toward misc entertainment expenses.

But practically speaking, don't you think that $1040 you spend like that every year can be better spent

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post

But practically speaking, don't you think that $1040 you spend like that every year can be better spent
                    It probably could but after years of only paying bills with the money and any exta dissapearing here and there we decided to give ourselves 20.00 a paycheck to get whatever we wanted. 20 bucks does not go far so that is why we get stuff on amazon and ebay where it is cheaper.

Anyway, I think we will be fine. thanks again!

Comment

Fair enough, but when you are only living on social security, have no other retirement money, and barely have enough money for food, I hope you don't get bored with those books you bought

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post

Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                        341 09/17/2008
                        Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

gosh -- some of these responses are rather nasty!!! I, too, buy magazines and a book once in a while. However, my MAIN hobby/recreation is crafting. They haven't stopped me from or questioned my purchases at Michaels.

I find it interesting --- some people question the "expense" of reading while others think nothing of spending hundreds of dollars skiing or golfing!!!

I, too, lived in an area where the library was not an option. However, I just found out, that if I want a book, my library can get it on loan from other libraries!!!! BOY, have I ever had fun since I found that out!

Comment

I am not trying to be nasty, it was more of a joke than anything else. Perhaps in bad taste.

But it does reveal a mind set...I am not saying you should be a miser and only buy necessities, but the mind set of "I deserve a little luxury" is what gets most people into there financial problems, becuase where does that "justification" end. Its a few books and DVD's now, then it becomes a couple of expensive nights out, a couple bottles of wine each week, then it moves to larger items, vacations, home remodel, new cars. So, you have all this stuff, your in debt, and bam, something happens, job loss etc...and now your at this forum.

Comment

To echo HHM's info not to be nasty as well but the OP started another thread on how to cut costs on items and this seems like a good place to start.
                              Chp 7 Filled 2-21-08
                              341 Hearing 3-24-08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X