Best Buy wants me to re-affirm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Buy wants me to re-affirm

I bought a few things at Best Buy over the Years, 32 inch Tube TV that is Digital/HD about 4 years ago cost about $600 at the time, cheaper brand washer and dryer for about $500 a little over a year ago and some misc. items adding up to maybe $1800.00. Of course it is now well over $2500. 00 I owe.

Lawyer has informed me they want me to re-affirm, make lump payment or surrender. We used a "hypothetical" lump sum of $600 in their online system to get an idea of what they were looking for and it was turned down.

There is no way I want to re-affirm this stuff as I can replace it all with more modern stuff for the amount they want me to re-affirm. I asked the lawyer what the chances are that they would even come and get the stuff and he said the would for sure.

So I guess my question is this. Anyone here have Best Buy pick up this little bit of stuff? Does anyone here think they really will?

What happens if I no longer have some of the smaller purchases to surrender like cables or wires?
    TIA

Last edited by sophia; 06-16-2009, 04:48 PM.

I have no direct experience with Best Buy, but from what I have read of other posters' experiences, it sounds like Best Buy is trying the "Big Bluff'. That is they are trying to bully you into reaffirming.

They do not want your stuff back. Electronics have almost no resale value. The washer and dryer actually might fare a little better, but not much.

In our area of the country, we actually have seen such items set out at the curb for passersby to come and pick up. I have gotten a couple of vacuum cleaners, several serviceable TVs and microwaves that way.

I hope this helps to ease your mind a bit.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
      I have no direct experience with Best Buy, but from what I have read of other posters' experiences, it sounds like Best Buy is trying the "Big Bluff'. That is they are trying to bully you into reaffirming.

They do not want your stuff back. Electronics have almost no resale value. The washer and dryer actually might fare a little better, but not much.

In our area of the country, we actually have seen such items set out at the curb for passersby to come and pick up. I have gotten a couple of vacuum cleaners, several serviceable TVs and microwaves that way.

I hope this helps to ease your mind a bit.
      Thanks for the quick reply.

The lawyer seemed so sure they would come if we surrender it. I told him I would let him know tomorrow for sure. (have to discuss with spouse)

Reading here leads me to believe that they are more than likely not going to want it back.

He said we just have to respond that we will surrender and ask for the items they are wanting. I know we have gotten rid or traded some of the smaller things like Cd's or DVD's so they will have to be Happy with what it is we still have if they really want to come and get it.

Comment

If Best Buy wants to come and get our washer/dryer, they'll get it--after I run a load of limburger cheese through it. And if the furniture store wants the couch & chair, the cats will have a pee-pee party on it first. :-)
        27 May 09: File Ch7
        6 Jul 09: 341 Meeting, declared asset case, 341 continued
        6 Aug 09: Continued 341 meeting, came to settlement with TT
        6 Sept 09: Last Date for Creditor Objections

Comment

Originally posted by suziebk View Post
          if best buy wants to come and get our washer/dryer, they'll get it--after i run a load of limburger cheese through it. And if the furniture store wants the couch & chair, the cats will have a pee-pee party on it first. :-)
          lol!!
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

The small items would have depreciated to zero by now. Tell them if they want to come collect their larger items, they'll be at the back door. I doubt very much they will, but as you said, you can replace all of those things for less than they want you to reaffirm for.
            Filed Chap 7 on 3/6/2009
            341 on 4/15/2009
            Discharged 6/16/2009

Comment

I told lawyer to tell them we will surrender the property and he said I now just have to wait for them to contact me with a Day & Time for them to pick it up.

I don't even care. I'm not that attached to any of it.

24/7 laundromat Here I come!!

Comment

They'll probably call, you'll set up a time and you'll most likely never see them, a 4 year old TV isn't worth much. Used washer and dryer maybe 100 dollars each. Smaller stuff is just worthless.
                May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Your stuff isn't worth the gas money to go pick it up, that doesn't mean they won't do it out of some sort of warped devotion to "the principle of it".

Comment

Originally posted by sophia View Post
                    There is no way I want to re-affirm this stuff as I can replace it all with more modern stuff for the amount they want me to re-affirm. I asked the lawyer what the chances are that they would even come and get the stuff and he said the would for sure.

Exactly why I would not reaffirm.

Let them come take it then. What are they going to do with it apart from throwing it ou?
                    My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
                    posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

What if you didn't have the stuff anymore becasue it broke or became obsolete? How would they "come and get it"?

I call bluff and your lawyer should know that. See if they show up at your 341 to get you to reafirm and go from there.

Tell them to come get it and you have to take time off of work and you make $50 per hour and you will charge them for your time. And you want to be paid with cash.

Comment

Originally posted by pookieny View Post
                        What if you didn't have the stuff anymore becasue it broke or became obsolete? How would they "come and get it"?

I call bluff and your lawyer should know that. See if they show up at your 341 to get you to reafirm and go from there.
                        Tell them to come get it and you have to take time off of work and you make $50 per hour and you will charge them for your time. And you want to be paid with cash.
                        Replying to the Bold.

I already had my 341 and no creditors came to attend, BB sent a letter to my lawyer thid week asking for me to pay a lump sum, re-affirm or surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by sophia View Post
                          Replying to the Bold.

I already had my 341 and no creditors came to attend, BB sent a letter to my lawyer thid week asking for me to pay a lump sum, re-affirm or surrender.
                          LOL! BB is SOL, then.

How come your lawyer doesn't know that it's unsecured debt and unless you bought it the month before you filed, they can't do anything?

Comment

Originally posted by pookieny View Post
                            LOL! BB is SOL, then.

How come your lawyer doesn't know that it's unsecured debt and unless you bought it the month before you filed, they can't do anything?
                            Everything bought with a Best Buy CC is secured debt, they CAN take it back.

Comment

It's my understanding, that the only secured debt there is, is a house and a car. Everything else, for BK purposes, is considered unsecured.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X