No announcement yet.

Best Buy wants me to re-affirm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be of interest to you, last year a coworker of mine filed chapt 7 and had a TV and surround sound purchased from BB. They followed the same steps you outlined in your post. He said to them that the TV was 4 years old and huge and heavy, you want it come get it. Well not to long after that some sort of appraiser called him to set up a time to surrender the items, he did not want them in his home so he and I moved this monster TV and sound system out into his garage. The BB rep. showed up in a Honda, he was an old dude all alone, looked at the stuff, photographed it, filled out some form assesing the value at zero, gave him a copy and left without the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieBK View Post
      If Best Buy wants to come and get our washer/dryer, they'll get it--after I run a load of limburger cheese through it. And if the furniture store wants the couch & chair, the cats will have a pee-pee party on it first. :-)
      LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I'm with you!

Comment

I agree, if they want this old obsolete crap, they can send someone out to get it. I just hope whoever they send has a good list of the junk they want with the serial numbers, because I honestly don't remember what card most of this stuff was charged on. (Depression does absolute wonders for your memory!)

I'm waiting for my letter from Bass and Associates, to see how much they want to charge me to reaffirm this stuff. I could use a good laugh.

Comment

Yikes! Glad they didn't come get it! We have a big screen on our BB card from about 3 years ago that I know DH would be upset to loose. The store our furniture came from a few years ago went bankrupt and closed so I think It's safe to assume we are good there :p

Comment

Best Buy themselves (like most retailers) don't have any actual interest in athat are paid for by the "BESTBUY" card. It's actually a Credit Card issued by a bank (usually for BBY it's HSBC) that can only be used at that retailer. Best Buy get's their money, you pay the CC Company.

So no Best Buy won't come for these items. Given that HSBC or their attys seems to have no interest in most of this stuff seems highly unlikely they come get it.

Comment

My wife and I also filed Chapter 7 and had 341 on Nov. 24th no creditors showed up, but HSBC has contacted our attorney for a cash settlement on the TV (bought May 09) and the CPU (bought Jan. 09). We made a small cash offer, but have not heard anything about it since.

Comment

I got one of these letters, asked them for a list of items, never heard another thing. All BS IMO.
                7-2-2009 Filed
                8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Best Buy wants me to reaffirm

Best Buy sent an attny to our 341 meeting and told us that we need to reaffirm or they are going to take back our 2 flat screen tv's, computer, laptop, etc. They had every purchase going back 3 years that we made. The card was paid off twice and the last large purchase was an 18 month no interest and that was paid off before we would be charged the accrued interest. The only thing left is video games, a digital camera, and a webcam. My attorney said they would still try to collect on the big ticket items even though they were paid off. Can they do that?

Shannon

Comment

IMO, if it were me, I would have the proof that it was paid off except for the video games (statements from them showing zero balance prior to the purchase of the video games).

Then surrender the games! What can they do? You paid off the other items and you have proof. They just rely on you being afraid of the process and agreeing to $X.

As to whether they can do it or not - they can be aggressive with collecting their security interest it is up to you and your attorney to point out the error of their ways. That is what your attorney is paid to do...
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Best Buy

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                      IMO, if it were me, I would have the proof that it was paid off except for the video games (statements from them showing zero balance prior to the purchase of the video games).

Then surrender the games! What can they do? You paid off the other items and you have proof. They just rely on you being afraid of the process and agreeing to $X.

As to whether they can do it or not - they can be aggressive with collecting their security interest it is up to you and your attorney to point out the error of their ways. That is what your attorney is paid to do...
                      How can I show proof via statements if we did all of our billing online and did not receive paper statements? They have locked us out of the website.

Comment

Ohhhh. Here we advise everyone to download their online pdf statements while they are current prior to filing BK.

I did not know that you did not do that...it is a hard lesson for you to learn this way.

Since you can not show proof - go the opposite direction and make them prove to you that the funds owed on the card belong to the large items. Or just surrender (play hardball). Or offer a small amount. Your options are limited without proof.

It is a business decision at this point. Is it worth it to keep the items or not?
                        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

If BB cc is a secured creditor, does that mean anything you purchase in their store is considered a secured debt. Items such as DVD's, CD's, modems, cables etc. Doesn't make sense to me. If that were the case wouldn't places like Sears that sells things like appliances and also clothes and everything else also have the same right. This just doesn't make sense to my in any way.
                          I would think that for BK purposes, they are considered unsecured. I think they just want to bluff you so you'll pay them and would never come and take back the stuff.
                          I'm curious if others have experienced this. I'm totally confused!!!!!!!!

Comment

What BB has (and many other store cc's) is a Purchase Money Secured Interest in the items that you purchase on their cr card in their store.

Look here for a definition:
                            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                              What BB has (and many other store cc's) is a Purchase Money Secured Interest in the items that you purchase on their cr card in their store.

Look here for a definition: http://www./2007/08/14/what-is-a-sec...rity-interest/
                              So technically Sears,BB etc could come and pick up anything you purchased in their store?
                              How often does this ever happen?
                              Also, if you listed the purchased items on you Schedule C exemption form, wouldn't they be protected there anyway?

Comment

BB tried that crap on me with a 3 year old computer and 5 year old cam corder. I said come and get it. They never replied

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X