Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I was surprised during our 341, we left our cell phones in the car, but all kinds of people had phones, blackberry's, iphones, etc. They were emailing, texting, whatever. Also, they had one of those computer cameras that the TT recorded everyone with.

So apparently the Feds have changed the rules on that. I thought since 9/11no phones were allowed in USDC.
    Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
    341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
    Discharged: 11/30/2009
    Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
      Actually, I was surprised during our 341, we left our cell phones in the car, but all kinds of people had phones, blackberry's, iphones, etc. They were emailing, texting, whatever. Also, they had one of those computer cameras that the TT recorded everyone with.

So apparently the Feds have changed the rules on that. I thought since 9/11no phones were allowed in USDC.
      Well, if you have an iPhone with you in there, then you could EASILY start snapping pictures and even upload them to Facebook or any other place right from the court room.

Comment

The photographer's definitive business and legal resource is now completely updated and expanded. In this valuable guide, arts attorney Leonard DuBoff takes you step by step though all the legal aspects of the photography business. Here is expert advice for everything from contracts to trademarks, including government licenses, taxes, censorship, the rights of privacy and publicity, leases and insurance, estate planning, and more. This latest, up-to-the minute edition pays special attention to the legal challenges that have been brought about by digital cameras and the Internet. With the important legal advice found in this guide, you'll save thousands of dollars in attorney fees–and find expert legal assistance when you need it the most. " . . . a complete discussion of the legal and business issues of everyday concern to photographers."-- PhotoSource International.

Google books ;) I did a search on google for photography in courtrooms.

Then I did a search for cameras in the courtroom and apparently its a debated issue. Were some news articles on it as well.

And just because something that is potentially against the rules or even controversial is "easy" for you to do...doesn't make it right.
        BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
        Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

That was the last thing I was thinking about here. In my opinion, this was not something to be taking so lightly. I was more concerned about being prepared and hopefully taking my next step to a "fresh start"!

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
            http://books.google.com/books?id=PNJ...age&q=&f=false

Google books ;) I did a search on google for photography in courtrooms.

Then I did a search for cameras in the courtroom and apparently its a debated issue. Were some news articles on it as well.

And just because something that is potentially against the rules or even controversial is "easy" for you to do...doesn't make it right.
            I'm not worried about personal opinions. I'm worried about it being legal or illegal. I'm telling you, it's not illegal.

If you bring a video camera in there and include your footage to be in a movie, then I'm sure you could get into trouble. But to post photos on a forum, bah!

I should have not have said anything here about it.

Comment

LOL that book said Rule 53 of the Federal Rules for Criminal Proceedings prohibts photography in court rooms.

And if it was legal they wouldn't make you check your cameras at the door.
              BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.

Comment

We weren't allowed to bring any phones to our 341. We also had to take off our shoes and our bags/purses were searched. Pretty strict rules here.
                May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

liz417: Pretty interesting that you were in Central District Riverside and I was in Central District Santa Ana, and there were people all over the place on their phones and stuff. While they did ask if we had phones, I guess you're allowed to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                    We weren't allowed to bring any phones to our 341. We also had to take off our shoes and our bags/purses were searched. Pretty strict rules here.
                    Yeah, if they do that at my place, I will not attempt it. Maybe I will take pictures of them doing that and post it. HA!!

Comment

RE:2manybills
                      Was your 341 at the Santa Ana Court House? Ours was in Riverside across the street from the Court House. Yeah, I was pretty surprised at how thorough this guard was...he took his job seriously
                      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

For Criminal proceedings, the information Amy posted above about Rule 53 is accurate.

But Bankruptcy is Civil, so:

" In September 1994, the Judicial Conference considered a recommendation by
                        its Court Administration and Case Management Committee to authorize the
                        photographing, recording, and broadcasting of civil proceedings in federal trial and
                        appellate courts. The committee presented the conference with the Federal Judicial
                        Center’s (FJC) evaluation of a three-year pilot program, which tested the efficacy
                        of electronic media coverage of civil proceedings in six district and two appellate
                        courts. Criminal trial proceedings were not covered as part of the pilot. That FJC
                        study recommended that federal courts of appeals and district courts nationwide be
                        authorized to allow camera access to civil proceedings. However, on the basis of the data presented, the conference concluded that the intimidating effect of cameras on
                        some witnesses and jurors was cause for concern, and declined to approve the
                        recommendation to allow cameras in civil proceedings.

"This committee, one of the conference’s many committees, studies and makes
                        recommendations on matters affecting case management; the operation of appellate, district and bankruptcy clerks’ offices; jury administration; and other court operational matters for the U.S. courts."

If it was allowed, we wouldn't have court room sketch artists. We've had fast enough film and lenses to ensure quality photographs without a flash for a very long time. With no flash and an insulated body to mask camera sounds, no one would even know when you took a picture. Why spend the time and money to have someone sketch?

I would say a Meeting of the Creditors falls under "civil proceeding", but I'm not a lawyer...

Comment

Originally posted by jadams View Post
                          For Criminal proceedings, the information Amy posted above about Rule 53 is accurate.
                          That's good to know. Thanks for sharing that tidbit of info.

So if I go into a criminal court room and start taking pictures, then I can get busted, right?

Comment

Hmm ok. But again, if the rules for civil cases are different...why do they take your phone and/or camera? As I mentioned in my prior post, they let me keep my phone but I had to show them that it was turned off. I suppose I just could have turned it back on again...

But I assume its also based on what type of building you have your meeting in. The one I was in was just like a regular office building.

And sorry if I went too far finding the criminal rules but debtmonster kinda took it to that level talking about televised court trials and such.

Comment

I guess I will find out the bottom line on all of this on August 28th. I don't anticipate going there any sooner as the building is a good 45-60 minutes drive in traffic from here... BAD TRAFFIC, all the way like down town.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                                Hmm ok. But again, if the rules for civil cases are different...why do they take your phone and/or camera?
                                Sorry, maybe my post wasn't clear.

The rules are basically the same. I was just anticipating someone pointing out that Rule 53 only applied to Criminal Cases and the rest of my post should explain how the same restrictions end up applying to Civil.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X