PI's Outside - Time to File?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
    All true, but I swear they were here checking up. It's possible it's related to another matter (having nothing to do with creditors).
    Well, IF they are really PIs, you can have a lot of fun with that. Make some sandwiches and take them down to them and tell them that you know how hungry surveillance work can make a person. Chat it up with them and refuse to go away. Stand behind their parked car with your flashlight and direct traffic around them. As the cars pass by yell something like "Move along people!! Can't you see these men are trying to do surveillance work!?!? " They'll leave. I promise.
    Last edited by MSbklawyer; 01-29-2010, 04:57 AM.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
      No, no criminal intent (just dealing with not being able to pay my bills is bad enough, thanks). I am one of thousands carrying 40K in unsecured debt who plans to file. It was the combination of seeing two guys who I am sure were surveilling and then 1/2 hour later seeing two police cars parked in front of my building when i got back from running errands. Unnerving, given my situation. I thought the police 'served' legal papers in the case of a lawsuit(?). Or maybe it has to be the Sheriff's Dept.. As it turns out, they were here for an emergency at the building next door. I have read of many instances (people posting online) of getting sued only 3.5 months after stopping payments. I don't think it's out of the question.

What about the 2 months lapse before the firm can file. Do I face any risk there? Is that an 'opening' for an aggressive creditor?
      You're watching too much TV.

You could do some counter-surveillance though. Maybe tail the PI's and see if they are cheating on their wives or something.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

ApresMoi-

What information will a PI gain by monitoring your house for an extended amount of time? Who is going to pay for PI services? Are you pulling up in your GranTurismo and exiting dressed in furs and jewels?

Understandably, a random car containing onlookers can be unsettling. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion these people are monitoring your actions. You may have a local cheating spouse or suspicious drug activity or a slacking employee who finds your street covert and appealing.

I had a man park on my street and knock on my door twice. My dogs performed their killer greeting (most don't realize they offer the "kill 'em with kindness"/we love all living things even if we sound dangerous blissful alert). I didn't answer the door; and, I didn't jump to conclusions. The man may have been assessing the status of my soon-to-be-surrendered property. Or...he may have been selling the latest version of the NOLO book. Just as I opted out of a losing investment (my house), I highly doubt one of my creditors would invest in me.

Maybe you should heed MSbklawyer's advice? Offer these people sandwiches (preferably gourmet) and inform them you proudly purchased them on credit as you gauge their reaction
        *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

Look, i diden't have anyone scope me out for my $187k in CC debt. I doubt there interested in you with a measly $40K. Hell, the whole country is filing BK, That should mean the national unemployment rate would plummet, due to all the new jobs created in the PI field. Relax, Plan your BK for when it feels right for you to file. No rush.I waited over a year.
          Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by HakunaMatata View Post
            ApresMoi-Maybe you should heed MSbklawyer's advice? Offer these people sandwiches (preferably gourmet) and inform them you proudly purchased them on credit as you gauge their reaction
            I agree! LOL!!! Go out there, offer some food, find out what's going on I love the "directiing the traffic" idea MSbklawyer suggested Have some fun with it and file when YOU ARE READY.
            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

If a car was parked on my street with two guys just sitting there, I would most definitely go knock on the window and ask what they were doing. If you are afraid of doing that, call the police and report it. The police will go knock on their window and come tell you what they are doing. Just to get the police really motivated, I would tell them that I "think" I saw them trying to talk to some little girls that were walking by. I assure you that they will come out very quickly and resolve the situation.
              Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
              Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
              341 - 2/12/2010
              Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCA2009 View Post
                Just to get the police really motivated, I would tell them that I "think" I saw them trying to talk to some little girls that were walking by.
                You are BAD!!!!
                Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by bca2009 View Post
                  just to get the police really motivated, i would tell them that i "think" i saw them trying to talk to some little girls that were walking by. I assure you that they will come out very quickly and resolve the situation.
                  love it!!!
                  First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

You topped my fear!!

Now that tops my paranoid thoughts way back when. Too cute!!
                    (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
                    :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
                      love it!!!
                      Yeah, PI's wouldn't make it 10 minutes on my street anyway. Everybody knows everyboby. Always kids riding bikes and playing. If a city utililty truck is parked for more than 15 minutes, 5 people will stop and ask what's going on. A strange vehicle parked with two guys inside would be Mobbed immediately.
                      341 - 2/12/2010
                      Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

OP needs to go back and watch "A Beautiful Mind" again. lol!
                        Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean everyone is not out to get you.
                          341 - 2/12/2010
                          Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

I think I like the sandwich idea. Very Beverly Hills Cop Make sure it's shrimp salad (and I hope I got the movie reference right, it's been a while)

Honestly, why not go talk to them? What's the worst they can do? Zip off the moment you approach them? If you've got a good view of the car, get the make, model and license plate and a description of the person or persons inside the vehicle. Just in case you need it.

As for the police, it's most likely a coincidence. The police do their jobs and sometimes they show up when you least expect it. I can expect to see the police on my street at least 3-4 times a week. As long as I know I'm not doing anything wrong. I have nothing to worry about. Just keep that train of thought going and you'll be fine.

But if you need it, I can loan you my tin-foil hat. Lightly used.
                            sigpic
                            Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
                            Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
                            Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by anime-chicka View Post
                              I think I like the sandwich idea. Very Beverly Hills Cop Make sure it's shrimp salad (and I hope I got the movie reference right, it's been a while)

Honestly, why not go talk to them? What's the worst they can do? Zip off the moment you approach them? If you've got a good view of the car, get the make, model and license plate and a description of the person or persons inside the vehicle. Just in case you need it.

As for the police, it's most likely a coincidence. The police do their jobs and sometimes they show up when you least expect it. I can expect to see the police on my street at least 3-4 times a week. As long as I know I'm not doing anything wrong. I have nothing to worry about. Just keep that train of thought going and you'll be fine.

But if you need it, I can loan you my tin-foil hat. Lightly used.
                              It depends why they are sitting there. I wouldn't recommend walking up to any stranger in a car, period.
                              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by anime-chicka View Post

Don't forget the banana (or two) for the tailpipe(s).... ;)
                                First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X