No announcement yet.

PI's Outside - Time to File?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as the forum educated me and assisted me with my BK, I definitely have a different perspective of the process than I did when I started. I think the horror stories shared on here are just a small fraction of the thousands of BKs that go on without a hitch. My attorney even warned me of reading this forum - that it would just make me worry.

I didn't pay my mortgage or credit cards for a year before I filed. I blocked most numbers, but those collectors that got through, I just told them I was filing and gave them my attorney's number. They pretty much stopped calling. I only had one threatening collection call the entire year (and I had over 60k in credit cards) and I just hung up on him.

I got to keep all of my belongings. My provided documentation, spending habits and charges on my credit cards were never scrutinized. Nothing I own was appraised.

The decision to file is when the relief starts. My BK process was literally a formality.

I know that this is not the case for everyone, but I believe it is like this for 95% of Ch 7 cases.
    Once you lose everything you're free to do anything.
    Filed 10/06/2009
    341 11/12/2009
    Discharged 1/15/2010

Comment

Offer them sandwiches?? Haha. I should have gotten their license plate. Or followed them. Or told them to be sure and note the big dent on the fender for valuation purposes.

Your posts are too funny. Thanks all for the laugh. :-))

Comment

Ok, I am DEFINITELY being surveilled. Another "PI" car parked right across the street from my car this morning, sitting there waiting for me to come out. Middle aged female, and she was definitely watching as I walked to and got in the car. Her window was partially rolled down, with her beady little eyes peering over the rim. After I got in, I wrote down her license plate. Same as with the guys yesterday, she left right after I did.

Pretty sure they are trying to see if I have a companion/domestic partner who might have assets they can go after (surely they know by now I don't have anything).

I've lived in this area a LONG time, and if anyone IS sitting in a car in the area, they're clearly there on a lunch break, or they've pulled over to talk on the phone, or they're service people in the neighborhod (cleaners, construction, household vendors, that kind of stuff). They mind their own business and don't take stock of you. They don't swivel their necks and look up when you walk out. They don't watch you.

In fact, when I stared back at the guy sitting there yesterday, after a short period, he looked away quickly ('guilty'!). He probably observed my dawning realization! Also, I may be small and female, but you really don't want to mess with me. I shot him a look once I realized. :-)). The cincher for me (when I 'knew') was this: As I got closer to my car door, his partner (also male), leaned across him to peer though the window to get a good look. And it wasn't because I'm some hottie.

TOTALLY obvious. My God.

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
          Ok, I am DEFINITELY being surveilled. Another "PI" car parked right across the street from my car this morning, sitting there waiting for me to come out. Middle aged female, and she was definitely watching as I walked to and got in the car. Her window was partially rolled down, with her beady little eyes peering over the rim. After I got in, I wrote down her license plate. Same as with the guys yesterday, she left right after I did.

Pretty sure they are trying to see if I have a companion/domestic partner who might have assets they can go after (surely they know by now I don't have anything).

I've lived in this area a LONG time, and if anyone IS sitting in a car in the area, they're clearly there on a lunch break, or they've pulled over to talk on the phone, or they're service people in the neighborhod (cleaners, construction, household vendors, that kind of stuff). They mind their own business and don't take stock of you. They don't swivel their necks and look up when you walk out. They don't watch you.

In fact, when I stared back at the guy sitting there yesterday, after a short period, he looked away quickly ('guilty'!). He probably observed my dawning realization! Also, I may be small and female, but you really don't want to mess with me. I shot him a look once I realized. :-)). The cincher for me (when I 'knew') was this: As I got closer to my car door, his partner (also male), leaned across him to peer though the window to get a good look. And it wasn't because I'm some hottie.

TOTALLY obvious. My God.
          You are overreacting.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

How is a creditor going to get anything from a companion or domestic partner? Assets or no assets, a person of this nature is not legally obligated to pay your debts.

I'm still not convinced any creditor would be willing to invest in PI services to monitor your every move. Harrassing phone calls are a helluva lot cheaper and have worked well for years.

If I were you, I'd offer the lady a sandwich the next time she rolls in.
            *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

PI's are expensive. It is highly unlikely that a creditor would hire one to watch you or your domestic partner. The creditor cannot get anything from the domestic partner anyway.

Next time you see the car out there, pull out your cell phone camera and start snapping pictures. Then go up to the car and make a show of writing down its license plate number, and snap another picture.
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Are you the only person in that area? Is it possible that they are looking for someone else, but making sure you are not the one they are looking for? I had this at my old house (long before I stopped paying, so it was not for me) and turns out the neighbors were running a meth lab. They always looked like they were watching my house though.

Methinks you are just being overly sensitive. If you snap pics and jot down plate #s and they take off, then you may be onto something. I agree that this is too expensive a tactic for OCs and CAs to bother with. They intimidate most people quite well with phone abuse.
                First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

I really don't think anyone is watching you over your debts. I don't think they really care. After reading these boards alot it seems your 40K of debt is small change so don't worry about it.
                  60K in debt??
                  Ch 7
                  No Mortgage No assets

Comment

they were probably just taking a doobie break. chill

Comment

Call the police and report suspicious people staking the neighborhood. Then watch how the cop(s) react.
                      11/09 FICO - 735 ~ 01/10 FICO 545

Comment

Back to the creditor theory...if they cannot get to a domestic partner (I have read different statements about how that works in CA, but I really don't know for sure) then they might be looking to see if I am moving any valuables out (furniture, etc.).

I really could care less who it is at this point. I have nothing to hide, and I am not a criminal. In fact, I hope whoever it is wastes a ton of money on these people.
                        Last edited by ApresMoi; 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM. Reason: Brevity

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
                          Are you the only person in that area? Is it possible that they are looking for someone else, but making sure you are not the one they are looking for? I had this at my old house (long before I stopped paying, so it was not for me) and turns out the neighbors were running a meth lab. They always looked like they were watching my house though.

Methinks you are just being overly sensitive. If you snap pics and jot down plate #s and they take off, then you may be onto something. I agree that this is too expensive a tactic for OCs and CAs to bother with. They intimidate most people quite well with phone abuse.
                          Thanks, yes, I thought of that -- that it's not me. That maybe they are watching for someone else. That's possible. But the thing that bothers me is the apparent 'interest' when I go out to my car, or if I drive by (the head turning..what's up with that??). That is all.

I really need to wrap up the Bk planning, because I'll feel a lot better once I know that I am on that path and that I am going to be able to keep all my goods.

Comment

Well the ID theft thing makes sense. It is possible they are scoping out to make sure it is not a fraudulent claim. I am sure they have a ton of those. Now if you lost a truckload of money but have all this new stuff they will have reason to doubt your story.

Watching you could also be an act if indeed they are scoping out someone else. The meth busters scoped all who came and went in my general vicinity, including me...and I called them repeatedly for weird activity, fights and people stealing my water (ran my hose into their house.) THey insisted it was an old lady who lived there and it was not possible (it was, her daughter was her caretaker and the meth head.)
                            First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Don't forget- you may be a "credit deadbeat" in the eyes of creditors (aren't we all) but you are still a citizen with rights. I love the advice above:

Call the cops about the cars. Make them bring a patrol car out. Ask them to confront those in the car(s) and find out exactly what they are doing.

Back to your observation about an "attorney mill". Remember: A big firm isn't necessarily bad, as long as they are reputable. They spend a great deal more time with the trustees, who in turn learns to TRUST their packages. From talking with others, it can mean the difference between a smooth 341 and a rocky one.

I had some of the same misgivings when I first met with my attorneys. HUGE firm, statewide, and busy as hell right now. THe first meetings (2) were mostly about closing, and I found that a bit of a turn off. Yet I was getting advice from them evern before I retained them. I did go see a "small shop" with a good rep. Guess what? He was just as busy, but because he was small he doesn't have the staff that the other firm does. And, after 2 meetings, he was still trying to get a "handle" on my stuff and hadn't even suggested I retain him immediately for some relief from the phone calls.

Bottom line: We went with the "mill". The paralegals are at my disposal. Any question I have, every day if I need it-they're their. And my attorney is a phone appointment away. I've had two of those as various factors changed/became clarfied. I'm needy and not about to apologize for it. The "mill" is happy to serve me as a customer, and cn hadle all my questions when I want them to be answered. Not many small shops can say that. I'm satisfied for now.

Comment

They're b-a-a--a-ack! One of the cars I saw when I first started this thread was there today, parked across the street a little ways away so as not be obvious. Geez, if you're going to play PI dude, the least you can do is take off the neon rims (car rims). The rims made it so easy to recognize that it was the same car. Same guy sitting in it! I ran my errand, and as I drove past looked in (heavily tinted windows but I could still see in), and he was wearing his wireless ear piece...greasy looking too. Probably raking in $12 per hour to make sure I am not moving out valuable possessions, is my guess. They can GTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X