Could you critique my Schedules I & J?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dee View Post
    Only $500 for groceries?? Yikes!!! We're a family of 3 and I put down $1,100 on schedule J. Attorney didn't even blink. Our son has severe food allergies and can't eat a lot of "normal" foods, though, so it costs more to buy products that don't contain the ingredients he's allergic to. I figure if Trustee disputes the costs, I can just bring my son into court and provide a demonstration of what happens if he ingests one of the foods he's allergic to. (Just kidding!)

Seriously, though, with grocery prices going up, how on earth do you feed a family on $500 a month???
    Its really not that hard - on average we spent about $600 when our daughter was living at home and that was normal, so $500 is pretty standard for a family of 3 I think. We eat pretty darn good filet mignon, NY strips..fish, chicken, etc etc etc. I buy meat in bulk and use our foodsaver to make smaller packages, cooking from scratch saves a ton of money as well. I use coupons where I can but only on items I use often, and buy most items on sale. Now, I mean its nothing to drop $400 on just meat alone, but that will last us quite a few months (about 6 or so) - so we do save up for that by setting aside a bit more out of our grocery money so that we can buy that way. You'd be surprised how much you save - over 50%. Example: Giant just had their Porterhouse steaks on sale for $4.99 a lb (regular $15.99 lb) - each pack had 2-3 steaks in them, about 1.5 inches thick. If you know meat, then you know that a Porterhouse has a NY Strip on one side and a filet mignon on the other . We dont eat a ton of red meat, so - when I purchase it this way, I cut the strip and filet off and freeze them separately. If I was to purchase just NY strip (boneless) it would be $10.99 a lb - and filet $18.99 a lb. Do the math! I think I spent about $100 on Porterhouse steaks - came home, separated them, and ended up with 12 NY strips and 12 Filets - all 1.5 inches thick and all black angus.

Chicken is the same way - I only buy perdue boneless skinless and it cannot have any injected solutions in it - has to be all natural. It goes on sale for $1.49 a lb and I buy around 20 packs of chicken, each having 3-4 breasts in them - cost is around $5.00 per pack on sale. Normal price is around $3.99 per lb.

You can do it if you know where to shop and prices. Foodsaver is great - I love mine and have used it for years now! Then again - our next area is going to be purchasing a cow (either whole or half) and that equals out to about $2.50 a lb for everything, so thats even more savings.

I do want to add to what BTS mentioned - if you're claiming 1100 for food for a family of 3 - yep - you'll have to provide proof that you spend that much every month and probably doctors notes to back up your claims.

Comment

Well, I found something that will definitely increase our "Medical / Dental Expenses" -- turns out my wife's TMJ just got a whole bunch worse in the past few days and she's going to need some prosthetics made (such as a mouth guard).

Sounds awful, but "yay!" lol
      Bazinga!

Comment

I have a budget of $500/mo for our family of 5 for all food & all household supplies (incl. diapers/paper products, bathroom supplies, cleaning products, batteries, anything you can think of that we'd need during the month, etc.). My oldest son is allergic to gluten & eggs. My daughter is allergic to dairy. I also tend to be rather health conscious and insist on tons of fresh fruits & veggies. That said, I have to home cook EVERYTHING, and I am a hard-core couponer, but I am proof that it can be done.
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I know that we have included a non-filing spouse's student loans in Schedule J in a number of petitions.
          Any "suggestions" I offer are not to be deemed as legal advice, as I am not an attorney. "Suggestions" are offered solely based on my life experiences, education, and what I have observed in the work that I do.

Comment

Good to know - I'll have his doctor write a letter. Some of them are life-threatening allergies, not just intolerance. The worst is dairy - all forms. Any idea how hard it is to avoid even trace amounts of milk, cheese, whey, casein, etc? Grocery shopping with me is an all-day outing.
            dee .....

back2school is right and that is really an excellent idea...it would be good or actually GREAT to have the doctors note...it will help!

i want to tell you about my experience here in Florida and "food". bts knows a bit about it...since i have complained before.

we moved here to and live, and of course filed here...i used my old numbers from where we moved from for food costs...which to me, actually i put as what i thought was "high" at $400 monthly.....

well, of course when i actually began to "live" down here...OMG...it was over double!! i have never ever seen food more expensive than in florida...and also to find healthily foods is nearly impossible...we have to take a day alone, just to go MILES to get fresh fish and good veggies and fruits. it's really terrilbe...and please all your Floridians do not take offense.

anyway...here's the kicker....i kept the $400 on there for food...and the trustee.....she asked me how i feed us on SO little monthly and joked about how NOT to tell her husband!! LOL! i guess a joke of sorts to break the heat...(usually i would say ice), but we are in florida here.

i think it may depend on what part of the country you live. i to this day cannot believe the northeast ...nj, ny...etc cost 1/2 or less to feed your family. it's really terrible here...we just went shopping yesterday...it was 258.00...really i was sick...just for some fresh fish and veggies some other needed....nothing luxury items. we eat NO junk food (my poor husband hasn't eaten a burger ...or has BETTER NOT in i hope the last 10 years...LOl).

anyway....on and on i go here...sorry...but it was so absolutely shocking to see the food prices here.

so dee..i totally understand....also...go to whole foods ...and see that! you'll spend $200 just walking in the door!
            Last edited by tobee43; 10-13-2010, 03:41 AM. Reason: TYPO's R ME
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
              I have a budget of $500/mo for our family of 5 for all food & all household supplies (incl. diapers/paper products, bathroom supplies, cleaning products, batteries, anything you can think of that we'd need during the month, etc.). My oldest son is allergic to gluten & eggs. My daughter is allergic to dairy. I also tend to be rather health conscious and insist on tons of fresh fruits & veggies. That said, I have to home cook EVERYTHING, and I am a hard-core couponer, but I am proof that it can be done.
              i agree in calif it can be done....i was born and raised there and was out taking care of my parents a few months ago....i was able to "double" shop the food amount in calif than that of florida...and better yet...put me in a nj grocery store and i'd be hard pressed for anyone to out do my cheapo shopping skills....LOL!!!

once again..it truly depends on what part of the country you live in....and i'm most certain you do a wonderful job feeding your family on that budget.
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                dee .....

back2school is right and that is really an excellent idea...it would be good or actually GREAT to have the doctors note...it will help!

i want to tell you about my experience here in Florida and "food". bts knows a bit about it...since i have complained before.

we moved here to and live, and of course filed here...i used my old numbers from where we moved from for food costs...which to me, actually i put as what i thought was "high" at $400 monthly.....

well, of course when i actually began to "live" down here...OMG...it was over double!! i have never ever seen food more expensive than in florida...and also to find healthily foods is nearly impossible...we have to take a day alone, just to go MILES to get fresh fish and good veggies and fruits. it's really terrilbe...and please all your Floridians do not take offense.

anyway...here's the kicker....i kept the $400 on there for food...and the trustee.....she asked me how i feed us on SO little monthly and joked about how NOT to tell her husband!! LOL! i guess a joke of sorts to break the heat...(usually i would say ice), but we are in florida here.

i think it may depend on what part of the country you live. i to this day cannot believe the northeast ...nj, ny...etc cost 1/2 or less to feed your family. it's really terrible here...we just went shopping yesterday...it was 258.00...really i was sick...just for some fresh fish and veggies some other needed....nothing luxury items. we eat NO junk food (my poor husband hasn't eaten a burger ...or has BETTER NOT in i hope the last 10 years...LOl).

anyway....on and on i go here...sorry...but it was so absolutely shocking to see the food prices here.

so dee..i totally understand....also...go to whole foods ...and see that! you'll spend $200 just walking in the door!
                Yes! I totally agree about Florida prices! OMG - it's horrible! We moved from out of state and I can't believe how much our food budget has gone up. You would think that we could get great prices on fruits, veggies, fish, etc since so much of it is produced here, but noooo...and don't even get me started on prices for organic products...

I'm seriously envious of those of you who can spend so little on groceries!
                Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

Originally posted by mrbrown2195 View Post
                  Well, I found something that will definitely increase our "Medical / Dental Expenses" -- turns out my wife's TMJ just got a whole bunch worse in the past few days and she's going to need some prosthetics made (such as a mouth guard).

Sounds awful, but "yay!" lol
                  Unless you can justify why custom guards need to be made vs. over the counter - you're going to be hardpressed for added expenses. I have severe TMJ and had custom guards made (they look like the Invisalign braces) and insurance didnt cover them, for upper and lower it was $200 - one time expense (orthodontist can make them). I've had them for 7 years now and no issues. Its not a recurring expense however.

Comment

Yes! I totally agree about Florida prices! OMG - it's horrible! We moved from out of state and I can't believe how much our food budget has gone up. You would think that we could get great prices on fruits, veggies, fish, etc since so much of it is produced here, but noooo...and don't even get me started on prices for organic products...

I'm seriously envious of those of you who can spend so little on groceries!
                    me too!!! and let me tell you i am a heck of a shopper...DEEEEEEEEE....where the heck have you ever seen a potato for $1.69 a pound????

that's like 2 dollars a potato...divide that into a family of 5.....LOL!!! NOT so funny...and when we do get fruit locally..it rots...because most all the good stuff i guess gets shipped out...because WHERE IS IT????

how about all the fatty meats...OMG...really i have been living on greek yogart...no joke...i can't take the fatty meat cuts here.

maybe i should scan a bill from publix and let everyone see what NOTHING you can buy for $200 bucks...ahhhh...all we can do is laugh about it, since it's so sad!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                      Unless you can justify why custom guards need to be made vs. over the counter - you're going to be hardpressed for added expenses. I have severe TMJ and had custom guards made (they look like the Invisalign braces) and insurance didnt cover them, for upper and lower it was $200 - one time expense (orthodontist can make them). I've had them for 7 years now and no issues. Its not a recurring expense however.
                      right on that pandora...i had to have one made it was over $400....certainly not over the counter and we added it in as well...

Comment

right on that pandora...i had to have one made it was over $400....certainly not over the counter and we added it in as well...
                        yeah, they're expensive but well worth it. I bite right though the OTC ones, and they're uncomfortable *frown* made my TMJ worse by jutting the lower jaw forward in most instances. I felt like Billy Bob Thornton in Slingblade..."Ought not be doing that to the boy..."

LMAO

Sorry... lack of sleep makes me giddy..

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                          yeah, they're expensive but well worth it. I bite right though the OTC ones, and they're uncomfortable *frown* made my TMJ worse by jutting the lower jaw forward in most instances. I felt like Billy Bob Thornton in Slingblade..."Ought not be doing that to the boy..."

LMAO

Sorry... lack of sleep makes me giddy..
                          LOL!!! we must have had the same person make MINE!!! it's so tight....i didn't think it possible to squeeze teeth...did you!!

LMAO x 2!!!!

Comment

me too!!! and let me tell you i am a heck of a shopper...DEEEEEEEEE....where the heck have you ever seen a potato for $1.69 a pound????

that's like 2 dollars a potato...divide that into a family of 5.....LOL!!! NOT so funny...and when we do get fruit locally..it rots...because most all the good stuff i guess gets shipped out...because WHERE IS IT????

how about all the fatty meats...OMG...really i have been living on greek yogart...no joke...i can't take the fatty meat cuts here.

maybe i should scan a bill from publix and let everyone see what NOTHING you can buy for $200 bucks...ahhhh...all we can do is laugh about it, since it's so sad!
                            LOL! What a great idea! It would make everyone else feel so much better about their situations!
                            Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

LOL! What a great idea! It would make everyone else feel so much better about their situations!
                              wouldn't it...then maybe they would believe us??? LOL!!

Comment

I am claiming $91 a month for 2 dogs. One has to be groomed every month as she gets horrible mats in her ears and the other one can go to the groomers every 2 months, they both get a yearly, flea and tick treatments, heartworm medicine and dog food, I buy a grain free type due to Yorkies allergies. Yorkie also has a dirty mouth, needs his teeth cleaned.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X