X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amy26
    replied
    Originally posted by MELLISSAMM View Post
    Oh, I did let them know I filed for bankruptcy once I was given the paperwork for the background check and they responded by saying "that shouldn't be a problem"
    ugg, that's even more lame... stupid company.

Leave a comment:

• tobee43
    replied
    an update for everyone who gave me advice............i didn't get the job! because of my bankruptcy. owell.
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

well, i agree, who wants to work for those type of people anyway!

i'm with everyone else, something even BETTER will come your way! i will be praying for you!

Leave a comment:

• MELLISSAMM
    replied
    Oh, I did let them know I filed for bankruptcy once I was given the paperwork for the background check and they responded by saying "that shouldn't be a problem"

Leave a comment:

• MELLISSAMM
    replied
    Thank u guys

Leave a comment:

• Amy26
    replied
    Well I guess that's your opinion... to me, its public knowledge and if it is a job I want and they are going to find out anyway if they check my credit... I would rather know upfront if I'm going to be denied for a bankruptcy than suffer the embarassment and the hard pull on my credit for no reason. And I did get a job application that asked me if I had ever filed for bankruptcy.

I'm not saying waltz into your first interview and be like HEY, guess what? I filed for bankruptcy! But if I feel after a series of interviews and its going well I'm definately going to pose it to HR to make sure I'm not wasting my time or theirs.

Leave a comment:

• mountanddo
    replied
    It would never cross my mind to tell a prospective employer I filed for bankruptcy unless I needed security clearance or something like that and they specifically asked. I've never even seen that on an application form. IMO, it is none of their business

Leave a comment:

• Amy26
    replied
    I'm really sorry.

I went through the same thing recently... but fear not! I landed an even better job and it wasn't an issue. Unfortunately it is allowed in a lot of states for them to base hiring you on credit. Back in the summer, I started looking for a new job... I am actually a gov't contractor and I have a top secret clearance that I obtained AFTER my bankruptcy and after horrendous scrutiny everything was fine. So, this summer I wanted to go back into commerical work. I found the perfect job and they offered me the position and everything. Being upfront, I said will a bankruptcy be a problem? And immediately they were like oh ummm... we'll get back to you. Mind you, this position was not a financial position (I'm a database developer) and the gov't seemed to think I was fit for a clearance so... I figured this should be a no brainer. I even paid money for my credit report and sent it to them showing them that since my BK (it has been over 2 years) my credit is flawless and my scores are over 700.

This did not matter in the slightest, they also took the matter to the CEO to try to get him to approve it but the final answer was they cannot hire anyone that has a bankruptcy on their credit for 7 years after the BK. So, basically no matter what my finances or my credit looks like now, I am trash just because there is a public record on my report. I was furious and actually told them they are F'ing stupid and they should pull the credit of every one of their employees cause I bet there are people there with worse credit than myself. They said if they made an exception for me they had to make it for everyone... I said no you wouldn't, they wouldn't know if you didn't tell them. :P Anyhooo...

I got over my anger and kept plugging away... I have been at my new position for over a month now and it pays about 15k more a year than the job that wouldn't hire me. So, I look at it like it was probably a place I wouldn't have wanted to work anyways. If they were that uptight about a 2 year old BK then who knows what else they would freak out about.

Basically what I did after the denial was anytime I had an interview that I thought went well and was a position I could see myself taking, I told them about the bankruptcy upfront and got it cleared before they even offered me a job. Aside from that one company, not a single company said it was a problem. I ended up with a handful of offers and picked my favorite.

So, do not be discouraged... you just found one bad apple.

Leave a comment:

• ValleYum
    replied
    Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

They sucked, Melissa. You don't suck. You would have hated working in that sea of suckiness.

You will find a BETTER job with nicer people - they did not deserve you!

Leave a comment:

• mountanddo
    replied
    Oh darn it to hell! I agree with everyone else. You would not of liked working there anyway. I applied for a job in June and it took 4 interviews and a personality test before they would hire me. I worked there 2 weeks and quit because it was the job from hell. So maybe it's a blessing. Hang in there!

Leave a comment:

• IamOld
    replied
    Of course Melissa...they exempted themselves from the new CA law..

Melissa, I know it's easy for me to say to not feel horrible - a job is a job, and this looked like a good one...so I won't say don't feel terrible :-) But not for too long :-) Look, my mother used to say that sometimes it's better to be in your situation than to be there in three months and the place is awful...I think their philosophy the way they treated you shows you their real colors...

You will feel better - you WILL!!!! And you will get a new job too!!!

Leave a comment:

• MELLISSAMM
    replied
    I guess they can. They are a court house. I feel horrible.

Leave a comment:

• IamOld
    replied
    Oh that is cr*p!!!!!! In CA can they legally do this with teh job you applied for??

Leave a comment:

• oregonpilot
    replied
    an update for everyone who gave me advice............i didn't get the job! because of my bankruptcy. owell.
    ahhh MELL i am so sorry. not fair!!

Leave a comment:

• MELLISSAMM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tobee43
    replied
    i think iamold and dew make a really good point here.

i know i wouldn't want to work for someont that's already breathing down my neck even before i began to work for them. although, it may not be them exactly you are working for, if it's the HR dept. maybe it's just policy??? i would still see what happens and don't count them out. if they do come back with an offer, then you need to really think about what iam and dew have pointed out. and, i know, a job is better than no job.

Leave a comment:

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X