Question on a closed bankruptcy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on a closed bankruptcy.

We filed for chapter 7 in early spring of 2010 and it was discharged and closed mid summer of 2010. Now fast forward almost 2 years later, while cleaning out our basement, I find the safe my parents left me when they passed away 17 years ago. Nothing in there but death certificates, old ins papers and misc papers. They told me where everything was before they passed away and everything was accounted for at that time,closed the safe and forgot about it.Decided to open it, This is the first time I have looked in there in 17 years, brings back a lot of memories, so I decided to clean it out and throw away some old insurance papers and when I did I find an envelope with a savings bond stuck in there,almost ended up in the garbage, that they bought for me over 20 years ago never told me anything about it,its worth about $5000. My question is do i have to contact my former lawyer and tell him about this.
    Thanks for any help.

I would keep my mouth shut and let sleeping dogs lie. First of all, the likelihood of the bankruptcy trustee re-investigating your case after this much time has passed is almost nil. Second, it can be reasonably argued that you did not "possess" the asset or even have any knowledge of its existence until the day you discovered it, which is long after the BK was filed.

Comment

I am in agreement with bcohen!
      Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
      "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Comment

Congratulations on your find! Keep it and move on…

Comment

you found what??? ;...looks like just some ole dirty papers to me? but what do i know?
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

You were not aware of this at the time you filed and did not become aware of it during the course of your Chapter 7 and any required time periods. Aren't surprises sometimes wonderful!!!!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

If the bankruptcy filing is closed and you received a bankruptcy discharge, I would let it go. There is a chance that it would be protected under bankruptcy exemption anyways so it will only cost you to reopen your bankruptcy, hire a bankruptcy attorney and so on and so on to maybe find out you can keep it. From what you say you did not know it even existed at the time of filing bankruptcy. And if you had known about this prior to the bankruptcy filing the money might have been gone anyways.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X