Mortgage Foreclosure Deficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Foreclosure Deficiency

If I have to file BK chapter 7 BEFORE the house is sold due to foreclosure. In other words, before the exact amount of the deficiency is determined. How can I list the deficiency? I mean is it possible to list an estimated deficiency in the BK? Or do I list the entire balance I owe on the house? How does that work?

You just put the mortgage lender, list the debt as "secured", and the mortgage will be discharged as to you personally. (Of course, the lender will still have a lien on the property, and they can foreclose on this lien, but any deficiency balance will have been discharged, and they can't go after you for it.)
    Last edited by bcohen; 08-19-2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
      You just put the mortgage lender, list the debt as "secured", and the mortgage will be discharged as to you personally. (Of course, the lender will still have a lien on the property, and they can foreclose on this lien, but any deficiency balance will have been discharged, and they can't go after you for it.)
      I was wondering if I file AFTER they foreclosed on the house but BEFORE it is actually sold. In other words, the mortgage would be an unsecured debt at that point..right? So I should include the mortgage Co. and the entire balance I owe...

Comment

Originally posted by aaj67 View Post
        I was wondering if I file AFTER they foreclosed on the house but BEFORE it is actually sold. In other words, the mortgage would be an unsecured debt at that point..right? So I should include the mortgage Co. and the entire balance I owe...
        yes, as long as you filed and included the mortgage in your bk and it was discharged you are not responsible for any deficiency. many people file after the foreclosure do to the deficiency. however, remember mortgage debt relief act of 2007 expires in 2013 to spare you from any tax liability as well. of course, there is talk they will extend it was again, but congress will have to be fairly quick. it's just good to get in before it comes into question.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          yes, as long as you filed and included the mortgage in your bk and it was discharged you are not responsible for any deficiency. many people file after the foreclosure do to the deficiency. however, remember mortgage debt relief act of 2007 expires in 2013 to spare you from any tax liability as well. of course, there is talk they will extend it was again, but congress will have to be fairly quick. it's just good to get in before it comes into question.
          Oh! I didn't know that..when it will expire in 2013?

Comment

There is no tax liability for debts discharged in bk.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
              Thanks..that's what I thought..

Comment

Originally posted by aaj67 View Post
                If it actually goes through foreclosure sale AND the deed has changed hands, then you list it on Schedule F -- Unsecured Creditors -- and put the amount as $1.00 and mark it as "un-liquidated", "contingent" and/or "disputed" to indicate that the actual amount is not known. (If you have not been foreclosed, then it just gets listed on Schedule A -- Secured Debt -- with the current mortgage balance.) As already stated, the debt would be discharged and you would have no discharge for any deficiency created upon foreclosure/sale.

As for taxes, if the lender decided to send you an IRS Form 1099-C (Forgiveness of Debt) then you would complete IRS Form 982 and mark the debt as discharged. As keepmine wrote, there is no tax on discharged debt.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                  If it actually goes through foreclosure sale AND the deed has changed hands, then you list it on Schedule F -- Unsecured Creditors -- and put the amount as $1.00 and mark it as "un-liquidated", "contingent" and/or "disputed" to indicate that the actual amount is not known. (If you have not been foreclosed, then it just gets listed on Schedule A -- Secured Debt -- with the current mortgage balance.) As already stated, the debt would be discharged and you would have no discharge for any deficiency created upon foreclosure/sale.

As for taxes, if the lender decided to send you an IRS Form 1099-C (Forgiveness of Debt) then you would complete IRS Form 982 and mark the debt as discharged. As keepmine wrote, there is no tax on discharged debt.
                  Thanks for your response. Isn't possible for the bank to foreclose on my house without selling it to a third party. In other words, it will be bank owned. In this case, I would list it as unsecured debt...right? Then I will list the total balance owed?

Comment

If it becomes bank owned (a/k/a REO) prior to filing, then you wouldn't put the balance. You would put and unsecured amount of $1 and mark it as "contingent"... since you don't know what you owe until they actually sell it.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                      If it becomes bank owned (a/k/a REO) prior to filing, then you wouldn't put the balance. You would put and unsecured amount of $1 and mark it as "contingent"... since you don't know what you owe until they actually sell it.
                      Oh! I see..thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for..

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                        the issues with the 1099a and c...one for mortgage and one for credit card companies can be issues and just attach the from 982 as jb points out. i'm just reminding everyone that the act ends in 2013.
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X