Dilemma!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma!!!!

My husband and I filed chapter 7 Pro Se on July 25th. At that time we thought it was a good idea to reaffirm our mortgage. In a nutshell, our mortgage was modified last year and approximately 200K in principle was forgiven, (not back ended). The 1st was originally 465Know down to 303K permanently, the 2nd mortgage was reduced from 92K to 29K. Payments went from approximately $3600 a month to $1899 for the first and $273 for the 2nd. Therefore, we thought it was a great deal.

My husband got laid off last November AGAIN, so we kept payments up on the 1st but got behind on the 2nd well as other bills and decided in July we couldnt do it any longer and we couldnt afford an attorney. Any way we filed and had our 341 hearing last Thursday but some documentation was missing and it had to be adjorned till 9/13. The Trustee was very nice asked us if we planned to keep the home and we said yes, then he suggested to us off the record that we should consult an attorney because there are things that can be done with the 2nd loan in chapter 13, im presuming he was speaking of loan stripping which we dont want to file chapter 13 anyway so that is not an option.

In the meantime our mortgage servicer has been dragging their feet with signing the reaffirmation agreement they say they wont do it because we are on a forebearance agreement. This agreement lowered our 1st mortgage payment to $1104.63 for a year to help us while my husband is out of work, next August the forebearance will be done and we will be back to the $1899 payment. Now for the 2nd loan they made us a settlement offer of $4000.00. So if we paid that they would settle the 2nd loan and release all claims, this would have to have been paid by August 31 (tomorrow) but we dont have that kind of money yet and I suspect paying that while still being in active bankruptcy is not a good thing. I did send the reaffirmation agreement to the mortgage servicer but they say they would not sign it until we are finished with the forbearance agreement in August of 2013. Now am i wrong or isnt that way too late? Anyway upon coming to this site and seeing overwhelmingly that we should NOT reaffirm my husband and I do not want to reaffirm now, seems like we would be crazy to do so. I see where i on the Statement of Intention we can check Other and indicate "retain and pay". My next question is do we need to notify the trustee before 9/13 that we want to change the Statement of Intention, or can we do that at the 341 hearing? I know the mortgage servicer will not sign the reaffirmation agreement, i believe they don't understand what it is since they claim they will sign it next year (2013) after the forbearance. Also, as far as the 2nd loan which we are still behind on do we wait for the discharge and make another settlement offer to the mortgage servicer and pay it?

Sorry for being so long winded, but i will say I wish we had of followed the advice of this forum sooner and NOT entertained the thought of reaffirming the mortgage. Any advice is much appreciated.

A Statement of Intention is just that, a statement of what you intend to do at the time you filed. You don't have to reaffirm just because you originally intended to. There is no need to amend your statement of intention or bring it up to the trustee.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      A Statement of Intention is just that, a statement of what you intend to do at the time you filed. You don't have to reaffirm just because you originally intended to. There is no need to amend your statement of intention or bring it up to the trustee.
      Whew! that makes me feel a lot better, funny how things happen, now if we had of gotten thru the 341 hearing we may have reaffirmed, but I'm glad that we got a wealth of good information from this forum and reconsidered that decision.

Comment

You state that you sent the reaffirmation agreement to the mortgage servicer but it would not sign (and file) the document. If you want to stop the reaffirmation process (the lender signing and filing the agreement with the Court before the entry of your Discharge) you should cover your bases by sending the lender/servicer a letter stating that you are RESCINDING any reaffirmation agreement you signed. Send this letter via Certified Mail, Return Receipt requested. Keep a copy of the letter (and the returned green card) for your records. You may also want to file a Notice of Rescission with the Court stating that you are rescinding your signatures on any reaffirmation agreement you sent to "such & such" lender.

Des.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with Des on this. I previously believed that a reaffirmation agreement needed to be "filed" with the court prior to discharge. However, the code reads very clearly that it only needs to be "entered into" prior to the discharge order being entered! I would rescind the reaffirmation agreement within 30 days of signing it or 30-days of the discharge. I would definitely also follow Des' advice and file a Notice of Rescission with the bankruptcy court to cover all bases!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

The code does require a reaffirmation agreement be filed with the court. 11 USC § 524(c):

An agreement between a holder of a claim and the debtor, the consideration for which, in whole or in part, is based on a debt that is dischargeable in a case under this title is enforceable only to any extent enforceable under applicable nonbankruptcy law, whether or not discharge of such debt is waived, only if—
            (1) such agreement was made before the granting of the discharge under section 727, 1141, 1228, or 1328 of this title;
            (2) the debtor received the disclosures described in subsection (k) at or before the time at which the debtor signed the agreement;
            (3) such agreement has been filed with the court and, if applicable, accompanied by a declaration or an affidavit of the attorney that represented the debtor during the course of negotiating an agreement under this subsection, which states that—
            (A) such agreement represents a fully informed and voluntary agreement by the debtor;
            (B) such agreement does not impose an undue hardship on the debtor or a dependent of the debtor; and
            (C) the attorney fully advised the debtor of the legal effect and consequences of—
            (i) an agreement of the kind specified in this subsection; and
            (ii) any default under such an agreement;
            (4) the debtor has not rescinded such agreement at any time prior to discharge or within sixty days after such agreement is filed with the court, whichever occurs later, by giving notice of rescission to the holder of such claim;
            (5) the provisions of subsection (d) of this section have been complied with; and
            (6)
            (A) in a case concerning an individual who was not represented by an attorney during the course of negotiating an agreement under this subsection, the court approves such agreement as—
            (i) not imposing an undue hardship on the debtor or a dependent of the debtor; and
            (ii) in the best interest of the debtor.
            (B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to the extent that such debt is a consumer debt secured by real property.

I do agree that the OP should cover his bases and rescind any signed agreement.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X