which utilities did you claim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which utilities did you claim?

I see cable tv is not allowed but it sounds like other are.
    Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Please explain what you mean.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Nolo makes the law accessible to everyone by offering an extensive library of free, legal articles and a catalog of DIY products and legal services designed to help you solve your everyday legal problems.

hmm- if I am 1 month behind on the electric bill- and they then need a 1 mo deposit- I need electricity forever.

Comment

Don't count on just one month deposit.

We fell behind on our electric bill, though we tried as hard as we could to keep up. Sometimes we just paid $100.00 a week to the electric--we are a farm--as the money came in. Eventually that did not satisfy the electric company. We had to pay a $790.00 deposit--in full-just to keep the lights on. That was a huge penalty to us. We didn't have that kind of money all at one time. What did they think we were making the weekly payments for?

Nevertheless, somehow, we got the money together and paid it. We also listed it in our paperwork for BK. That $790.00 damned deposit was considered an 'asset,' and when we were ruled an Asset Case, and had to buy our stuff back from the BK Estate, that deposit was part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by anykey View Post
          I see cable tv is not allowed but it sounds like other are.
          Huh? Any "utility" can be included. In fact, all "creditors" should be included. Cable is likely not a utility where you live, but you can discharge that debt. The real issue is with... deposits! If you were to discharge cable TV debt and wanted the service restored, you "may" need a deposit.

When I filed bankruptcy, I included my cable bill. I had moved and switched to a different company (in a different city) with no problems. When I moved back to my original city, the cable company wanted to the back debt, until they realized it was a bankruptcy and the debt discharged. They installed cable within a couple of days without a deposit. (As to whether your cable company would charge a deposit, is another story).
          Last edited by justbroke; 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I did not have an issue with mine, but the phone bill was on the cable bill so that may have had an effect.
            11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              Don't count on just one month deposit.

We fell behind on our electric bill, though we tried as hard as we could to keep up. Sometimes we just paid $100.00 a week to the electric--we are a farm--as the money came in. Eventually that did not satisfy the electric company. We had to pay a $790.00 deposit--in full-just to keep the lights on. That was a huge penalty to us. We didn't have that kind of money all at one time. What did they think we were making the weekly payments for?

Nevertheless, somehow, we got the money together and paid it. We also listed it in our paperwork for BK. That $790.00 damned deposit was considered an 'asset,' and when we were ruled an Asset Case, and had to buy our stuff back from the BK Estate, that deposit was part of it.

I have decided not to include any utilities.

Comment

we never included ANY utility bills..why? because you need them where ever you go. in fact we had a perfect record for over 30 years, yet when we moved OM goodness....progress energy made us have a HUGE deposit for no apparent reason whatsover. actually at the time we were still in our old home paying them on time never missed a payment ever. they STILL required a deposit. it could have been far worse had we not paid them and had a history of being delinquent. best to know these types of expenses or category of bills can come back to bite you hard later on down the road. be careful on who you don't pay. we pay all our utilities but not our mortgage! because we knew we would need them sooner than later.

we did get our full deposit back with the electric co after two years. they gave us full amount plus interest. i just had them post it back as a credit to our current account. worked out well. i'm glad you decided not to include them.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I am so paying for this week and my relentless quest to finally file the around 100 papers to clear the title on my house. I sent it in and now I am worried like hell I did something wrong! I have been sick in bed for over 1.5 day over this. Maybe I should have let it alone. Lets hope God is watching over me in every way. A small prayer for my health would be appreciated. I simply can not afford $2000 to go bankrupt. You seen my post. I by things 2nd hand. I never go to concerts- I am a tightwad and everyone know it. I am tho lucky the lights, water, gas, is on. MY brain has short circuited. I had these episodes for many years from an industrial accident. There is one authority higher then the courts, and that is God. This will drag on for months- I am losing friends over it too. If those friends knew the real walk in life I have been thru and am going thru- then I doubt they would have left. It is in Gods hands now. ~R

PS- as you can see I been plotting this since 2009 when I joined this site. I have read 4 books and the subject and got a lot of help on this list. I am slaking like a leaf and might throw up right now.

Comment

Anykey, {{{{{HUGGS}}}} Everything will work out.

Comment

Sounds like you did your homework, don't worry have confidence in your work! Feel better soon, you need your health at this time.

As my Dad always said when anyone asked him to pass the potatoes, "God helps those who help themselves". And you did! Feel good about yourself.

Don't worry about other people. Even most of the ones that say they understand truly don't. But the people here do.
                      BK7 Filed 7/10/12 • 341 8/15/12 • Discharged 10/17/12 • Closed 5/6/13 Thanks to everyone here!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X