top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just noticed two credit collections with a company from 2009. Do I just ignore them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Just noticed two credit collections with a company from 2009. Do I just ignore them?

I recently started getting hounded by a collection agency (CACI). So when they called me (I didn't answer) I logged into their "customer" portal. Listed on their site were three collections. A newer one that I had already paid direct to the hospital. And two old ones from 2009.... My first question is should I be calling the hospital or tell CACI that it was already paid direct? And the bigger question is what am I supposed to do about the two from 2009? They are not on my credit report, and I don't get letters about them. I thought there was some type of statute in regards to debt collecting, but looking it up it was confusing. So I assumed someone here would know how to handle it.

Since 2009 I had filed chapter 7 also, but I don't know IF those two collections were missed. Or if this agency just decided to keep the amount around "just in case". Does that ever happen? I can't find my old BK paperwork to read through it... which isn't shocking as I can never find anything. But again those two collections are not on my credit, and I have not been receiving any bills for them.

Advice?
    Filed 10/20/08
    Discharged 1/27/09

Tell them you filed bankruptcy and they need to stop calling. Besides, it's very likely to be out of the statute of limitations for suit. So tell them to stop calling your phone.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Tell them you filed bankruptcy and they need to stop calling. Besides, it's very likely to be out of the statute of limitations for suit. So tell them to stop calling your phone.
      Does it matter if I can't provide any information on my BK case? I don't know what I did with all that paperwork... I guess like you said it's probably now protected by the statute. Thanks for the help!
      Filed 10/20/08
      Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

The date of the bankruptcy is fine. They would then have constructive notice of the bankruptcy. It's not your job to give them specifics. They may ask for your attorney information but be firm and tell them that you told them the date, chapter, and location of the bankruptcy filing and that they should not call again.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          The date of the bankruptcy is fine. They would then have constructive notice of the bankruptcy. It's not your job to give them specifics. They may ask for your attorney information but be firm and tell them that you told them the date, chapter, and location of the bankruptcy filing and that they should not call again.
          Thanks JB, I think over the past 15 years you have helped me out with 75% of my problems LOL.

My one issue is that I don't know if they got included. It's been too long now, I had a pile of medical bills so who knows. But I guess at this point they can't do much anyhow. They haven't called me in regards to those two collections in particular afaik. Maybe they are trying to now since they hold a newer one. But I sent them a message inside the portal only addressing the new one, and just ignored the others.
          Filed 10/20/08
          Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X