When does the IRS send you a bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does the IRS send you a bill?

So I did my taxes before the deadline, I owe around $2,300. I went to their website, and got the code in the mail, it said I had till 9/11/2021 to pay it back. Their website is weird though, it wants you to make a payment to the IRS without a file number, or case number, or whatever. I just don't feel comfortable paying that money to a website that doesn't have some kind of account number, or file number etc. Will the IRS send me a bill with a confirmation number, or some kind of traceable bill to pay? Like an account number or something similar?

I tried calling them 4 times, every time it says to call back because they are busy. Super annoying.

Hi..not quite sure what you saw. I had to file a paper return but owed approximately $1100. I didn’t want my payment to be late, so I accessed my IRS account online to make a payment. It allowed me to choose what I was making a payment for. In my case it was for a 1040 tax return for tax year 2020. It offered the ability to choose the payment for the tax type being paid and for what year. When I pull up my account now it shows there is a payment posted for 2020. Based on what I’ve read it may be a long time before the tax return is entered/reviewed but it doesn’t worry me as my payment for 2020 is posted and showing the date received. Plus when I paid, it produced an online receipt, which I printed, showing payment details. I stapled the the receipt to my copy of the return.
    Last edited by sophieanne; 06-04-2021, 01:43 AM.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

If you created an account on the IRS website (irs.gov), then your account has been validated with your SSN. When you make any transaction while logged into your personal irs.gov account, that transaction is tied back to your SSN.

Or you can always go to one of the IRS authorized payment options -- see https://www.irs.gov/payments

Or you can use the IRS pay-by-mail options -- see https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-by-...or-money-order

I trust the online payment at irs.gov -- using my account -- over a payment that has been placed in the mail. I used a credit card to pay the ~$200 that I owed for 2020. I have registered for and use the IRS website to view all my past returns, obtain a transcript instantly (which is very interesting to see what was filed!), or even make a payment to the IRS.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

justbroke note is more detailed..but we’re talking about the same site.
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

The one thing I will add to the already good information you've been given is, waiting for the IRS to send you a bill will almost assuredly mean you've already incurred some penalties and interest, and those can get expensive!
          Latent car nut.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I didn't know it was tied to my SSN# that's good to know JB! It just feels odd paying a bill with nothing to tie it to like a order # or confirmation # etc. I already got approved for doing a 120 day installment plan and I have to pay it all back by September 11/2021. Time to pay that bill lol. I went exempt too long in 2020, never again haha learned my lesson.

Comment

I only owed just over $200, but I did get the stimulus, so the net/net was $0 due!
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Nice JB! I honestly forgot for a few months to go from exempt to non-exempt during 2020/Covid. Was making crappy commission checks, so that $$$ helped me during that time pay for the basic stuff like food and rent. I thank God my job returned to normal and I'm flying high again! Have a great night!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X