Pier Diem Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pier Diem Job

I have to per diem jobs that i work randomly… my attorney told me quit them since prior to my case being filed because my Payment would be more.

I don’t want to quit last year i only made about 700 in 6 months… and the income isn’t consistent…

did anyone else pick up a part time job while in ch 13?

Welcome to BKForum.

A Chapter 13 debtor needs to have regular and consistent income or they are doomed to fail. That's why it is a requirement to obtain confirmation of the plan. A Chapter 13 just can't deal with flucuating income that well. It can be especially difficult to have a successful Chapter 13 when one is part time and the hours vary significantly.

For most Chapter 13 debtors, taking on an extra part-time job is fruitless since you'd just be giving the money to the Chapter 13 Standing Trustee so that they may give it to your creditors.

If your income is that low, why are you filing a Chapter 13?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have a full time job the per diem jobs are things i do for fun and to keep myself busy…

Comment

If you are already paying your disposable monthly income (DMI) into your Chapter 13, then the "extra" money would be taken by the Chapter 13 Standing Trustee for distribution to the unsecured creditors.

Generally speaking, an "extra" part-time job in a Chapter 13 is useless.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Ok thank you

Comment

Before I started my Chapter 13, I had lost my business lease. My then fiance's mother wrote a statement where she agreed to give me so much per month. My income was from online selling.

My plan was approved. I had a special 4 year 13.

Comment

After our 5 year Ch13 plan was approved, Barbisi and I continued our side hustle. Personally, I reasoned, if the trustee would want more of our earned income (primarily from a side hustle since the salary was consistent), then, bring it on, I got 5 years, so let's dance ... B*tch. Trustee would request tax filings each year, so if we performed well in our side hustle year over year, then we could expect the trustee to request a payment increase. If we performed poorly in our side hustle year over year, then the probability of a payment increase would be less. Over 5 years, we made money from our side gig, and enjoyed it since it was a creative endeavour - it helped us emotionally and mentally while going through the Chapter 13 5 year process. We submitted our tax forms when requested. The payment was not raised due to the side gig. However, the payment was raised when the stable, consistent income from my salaried role increased - but that was only due to a change in corporations, and a change in our lives for the better - emotionally, mentally, and of course financially. There is much to be said about the emotional and mental health of a person going through a bankruptcy. My suggestion: if the side hustles improve your mental, emotional, and financial state, do it! If you make a lot more money from your side hustle, Fantastic - that's the goal! That means you are on the right track, doing what YOU are good at. And, if you happen to fill a niche no one else is filling, well, the universe is the limit ... in other words, there is no limit. So. Don't let this tardo ch13 process prevent you from achieving Your Greatness. #BeYou .
              Last edited by Zombie13; 02-25-2024, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I had a prn job when we filed for our BK and the income varied. I didn't like that it was factored into our income/payment plan (100% pay back). I didn't like it because the income would vary. Then the pandemic came and my prn was on hold/zero income for about a year and a half. My husband had some overtime so our drop in income was not as bad as it could have been, but we definitely were making less money. We just dealt with it and struggled along.

I definitely would not pick up more work or an extra job if I didn't have it going to into the Chapter 13 unless it was something that would make a difference in the long run, like helping your career path because that would make it worth the risk.
                I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X