Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Filing for Bk and my employer is also credit card issuer

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question. I'm about to start the process of filing my Chapter 7. I work for a big credit card issuer, who happens to be a credit card company I plan to include in BK. Can I lose my job if they find out I have filed BK and included my account? Or can they garnish my wages?

I've been with the company for the past year, but have had my credit card for over 8 years prior.

Thanks in advance for any info. I've been kind of stressed out about the situation.

Tony
    4/2008 - Pre mortgage default - Fico 680
    10/2008 - 150 days late on 2 mortgages - Fico 550

Originally posted by tony2tru View Post
    I work for a big credit card issuer, who happens to be a credit card company I plan to include in BK. Can I lose my job if they find out I have filed BK and included my account?
    It's against the law to be fired solely because you filed bankrutpcy, even against your own employer. However, unfortunately it's easy enough to manufacture some legitimate reason to let you go. It all depends on the ethics of your particular credit card company.

Or can they garnish my wages?
    If you file Ch 7 and the case is discharged and closed, then any money owed on this credit card and others will be wiped out in full. Your employer cannot go after the money through a garnishment - that's a direct violation of bk law.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

You don't state what level employee you are with the company; do you have an employment contract or just a hiring letter and a company policy booklet/pamphlet? If you are under contract, review your contract for any clauses in the event you file bankruptcy. Many higher ups have clauses in their employment contracts that indicate you have to inform your employer if you file. If you just have an employment letter from your employer stating your salary, etc., you are an "at will" employee and that means they can let you go and you can leave yourself for any reason whatsoever. They are not allowed to fire you just because you filed bankruptcy but if they do fire you you would have to prove that that was the reason. May be difficult to do. Also, review your employee handbook or company policy for any indication as to employees and bankruptcy just in case something is mentioned.

If you have been at the company a while and this bothers you terribly, you can consult with someone in HR about your situation to get a feel about it as to your company; note that any conversation is confidential and cannot be used against you in any way. Or you can just ride the whole thing out and see what happens.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I don't believe they can fire you for filing bankruptcy. You know how human corruption is though. They can "make/find" a reason to get rid of you some way or another. Your boss very well won't even find out.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am in a salaried, non-management role. I work in a department completely unrelated to credit cards. I signed an employment letter when I was hired so I assume I'm "at will". I've stopped payments on all my credit cards except for this one. I figure I'll just ride it out and see what happens. I need the Chapter 7 filing regardless.

My company also "acquired" an institution earlier this year whom I have a 2nd mortgage with and also planning to foreclose/surrender so if they don't get me for the credit card or the mortgage I'm defaulting on... I guess I'll be really lucky. I'll let you guys all know how it goes.
          4/2008 - Pre mortgage default - Fico 680
          10/2008 - 150 days late on 2 mortgages - Fico 550

Comment

tony2tru - I am in the exact same position as you - work for creditor, etc... Can you please let me know how it went??? Thanks!

Comment

No, it is against federal law to discriminate against someone for filing bankruptcy, even if your employer has issued your credit card.
              Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-28-2009, 05:53 AM. Reason: Active link and name deleted--Forum rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ravs View Post
                No, it is against federal law to discriminate against someone for filing bankruptcy, even if your employer has issued your credit card.
                Not so fast. This is a financial institution. Talk to HR, I'm sure you're not the first employee of a bank that has needed to file BK.

The reason I say not so fast is that you may be looking at sensitive financial documents and financial distress such as BK may make them consider you a risk.
                I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X