top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are so many posts about "how can I screw the bank or my credit card company?"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowImDownInIt View Post
    It's my very own little LOL... It means: rolling on floor laughing so hard that I am turning in a copter-blade-like fashion. :-)
    ok...well since we are giving awards YOU GET the MOST CREATIVE BKFORUM Chat Slang AWARD!!!! ROFLMAKINGMEPEEMYPANTS!!!!

and we are having way to much fun to be going thru such stress!!!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by dscurlock View Post
      I love these type of posts "society owes me for not being late for 40 years"

::SNIP:::
      Why do I have money in the bank, and you dont?

(1) I dont buy a new car every 3 years, instead, I buy used every 5
      (2) I rent, so I am not obligated for anything else, I dont have to
      worry about maintaining my lawn, I dont have to worry about the
      state ripping me off by sending me excessive tax bills, and so on.
      (3) I eat potatoes rather then steaks.
      (4) Dumped all my credit cards by paying them off, then
      continue to ignore them as they waste postage trying to
      get me to come back...I tell them to go pound sand.

You owe it to your self, no one owes it to you, nor
      does anyone owe you anything.
      Really...you do realize that your prior posts are completely viewable, right?

Originally posted by dscurlock View Post
      It has been about 4-5 years since I have payed any of my
      past credit cards, two repos, etc...I continue to this day
      to get collection letters.
      I even got a letter last month
      claiming that they was going to get a judgement on me...
      was it a bluff, who knows, but to this day, I have not
      been sued by any creditor...

Does that mean you can get by like me..absolutely not...
      there is no gurantee that you will not be sued..maybe
      I have been lucky to this point...

and if they do get a judgement on me, so what, thats
      as far as it will go, as I have no real income or assets...
      Interesting how you managed to pay everyone off in a mere 7 months and get your savings all boosted up to boot. Please, tell us how you did so...

Comment

We all want a “free lunch”. “You should let me float the payments…..you should let me change the terns of the contract”. We all had our CC’s change the terms of our contracts even though we were never late. Did they do it over night? NO. The news was talking about the new laws and how CC companies were going to start changing things a year before they did it. Did they just change your terms without telling you? NO. Like everyone else you got a letter in the mail saying to take the change or opt out. If you opted out then your interest rate stayed the same and the account was closed. You would have to just make the same payments until paid off.

Did a lot of mortgage companies screw people over? YES. Was it on every purchase and refi? NO. You give the bank the paperwork to show what you earn. They look at the gross income to average out what you can afford. If your rent/mortgage is $1200 a month and you have no real debt then you may be able to go up to $1500 an month in rent/mortgage. If they tell you that for 5 years the payment is going to be $1500 and then go to $1900 a month then you know that you MUST sell or refi long before those 5 years are up. The problem is we spend what we make. You tell me I can save $500 a month on my mortgage then rather then save that money or use it to pay off other debt, I’ll spend it.

Bills go up, things happen, people die. That’s life, it sucks but that’s how it goes. Insurance rates go up and to save money people pick the plan that has a payout limit. You get sick and reach your cap after a few weeks and don’t have the money to cover the meds and it gets worse. You can’t pay the water bill but you have a $200 cable bill. You don’t have money for the mortgage but you eat out everyday. I give these examples because I hear them from people I know. Did I make all of the right choices? NO. I did cancel all of my CC’s when they wanted to change my rates? YES. I stopped eating out, stopped going to movies, and cut back on all things I didn’t need to live so I could pay for my BK.

I talk about screwing the creditors because if you knew that 80% of your CC usage was to live at the level you wanted, not the level you were then you were screwing them because you knew you could never pay them back. I paid back a large cunk of my debt the best I could and then filed when I had nothing else to give. Did I plan it? YES. Did I say "screw them'? NO. If the bank is going to take the house back and you are clear from owing them on it but are still trying to stay after they take it back then you are screwing them by not letting them sell it and that keeps this crap economy from moving forward. In most cases the bank will pay you to go.

There is a difference between filing for BK and ending the problem and keeping it going telling everyone that the CC companies screwed you by raising your rates, the mortgage company screwed you by giving you a loan you couldn’t afford or by not modifying your loan. The insurance company screwed you by changing your policy.

The reason for my original post was because it seamed TO ME that some advice was being given from people that are still very angry at where there life has taken them. Every state has different laws. WE ALL should check with an attorney before we do something that can affect our lives and if you are still in the “they screwed me” mode then maybe, just maybe your advice may cause more damage to the others that need it.

As far as the reasons why I think people file (income, illness, death) no matter what you say or how you try and spin it it all comes down to MONEY.
        *Living outside your limits
        *Loss of income
        *Bills went up but pay didn't
        *Family member died and you don't have that income
        *Can't work and income went down

Comment

I should have made this post "how can I drag this out for my family, the banks and the CC companies?" Maybe then people wouldn't be so upset about it.

Comment

What it boils down to Bkman2, is that you believe that somehow your bankruptcy is morally superior to other bankruptcies. You have set an arbitrary criteria for why your bankruptcy is morally superior, and you are using that self-designed set of values to pronounce judgment on other members of this forum. That is your choice to do, just as we all have the choice to ignore this thread, or put you on mute.

Self-designed morality is a slippery slope however. Every extra beer, every pay-per-view movie, every extra byte of data on your cell phone, every dinner out have to be weighed against your moral scale. Do you always pass your own judgments and your own standards regarding spending and saving?

I think you mean well Bkman2, but judgments are not helpful. I have said this many times. We are all equally bankrupt on this board, and nobody's bankruptcy is "better" than anybody else's.
            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Never mind
              Last edited by 987654; 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM. Reason: Not worth it....

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                ok...well since we are giving awards YOU GET the MOST CREATIVE BKFORUM Chat Slang AWARD!!!! ROFLMAKINGMEPEEMYPANTS!!!!

and we are having way to much fun to be going thru such stress!!!
                Bah haha... Stress? I can't afford stress.. No, really, trustee is taking all my botox, booze, and chocolate money. Can't be dealing with all this premature wrinkles.
                Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
                Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
                60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                  What it boils down to Bkman2, is that you believe that somehow your bankruptcy is morally superior to other bankruptcies. You have set an arbitrary criteria for why your bankruptcy is morally superior, and you are using that self-designed set of values to pronounce judgment on other members of this forum. That is your choice to do, just as we all have the choice to ignore this thread, or put you on mute.

Self-designed morality is a slippery slope however. Every extra beer, every pay-per-view movie, every extra byte of data on your cell phone, every dinner out have to be weighed against your moral scale. Do you always pass your own judgments and your own standards regarding spending and saving?

I think you mean well Bkman2, but judgments are not helpful. I have said this many times. We are all equally bankrupt on this board, and nobody's bankruptcy is "better" than anybody else's.
                  Well said bts....very well said. I still have yet to see who the OP is talking about - post wise. ???
                  Last edited by Pandora; 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM. Reason: hit button too fast :/

Comment

Originally posted by 987654 View Post
                    Never mind
                    Too late, I already read your post and it was very well said.
                    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I do mean well. I think we all need help in fixing our problems, but I NEVER said I was better or MY WAY is the best way, NERVER said others are wrong in how they want to do their BK. Its the GURUs that started with the "don't judge me, you think your better than me, you don't know me". I was talking about advice being given by some that MAYBE would keep the people just starting out from ending this by extending it. We all have reasons why we need to wait to file, if we even do file. I do feel that advice that prolongs things needlessly doesn't fix them. That, I guess was the point I wanted to make but everyone took the wrong way so THEY could get up on the soap box and add me to the list of people they need to blame.

WHATEVER......I'm done.

Comment

Let's speak frankly about your moral superiority.

You were in a 13. Had 3 times the CC debt that I have and half the payment. You make a lot more than me, (I'm under median for my family of four) and the cost of living in Nevada is much lower, plus you said you're a WAHD so you don't have to deal with daycare. You could have afforded the 13, but you couldn't stick with the budget so you converted. All this while filing separate taxes so your wife's wouldn't go to the creditors.

You even said:

"I know that some people think I should just shut up and stay in the 13 because I own the money but when all of my credit cards were paid on time and they still raised my interest from 7.99% to 29.99% I tried to keep up. I can't keep up anymore. I need this mess to be over with so I/we can move on."

Sounds a little like you know what it's like to blame the CC companies.

Sounds a lot like the excuses that you can't seem to relate to.

Anyway, why would any of the "gurus" bother with blaming you... sounds like you think we all have enough people we feel like blaming.
                        Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08

Comment

Imagine that, I was one of you bitter, don't judge me types and I changed. I took at bad thing and changed my life for the better, didn't drag it out didn't keep *****ing about it for years. Didn't give people advice so theirs would drag out. I did my rant and fixed it. I made $10,000 last year thats why I stay at home with my kid. My attorney advised me to file separtae taxes so I would have money to cover bills. I converted in July because the money was gone. Look that post up! I paid $46,000 to my CCs in 2 years. I spent every dime I had. I ranted at the start and fixed it so I can move on. I never said that people using the law to remove debt was wrong but you seem to feel free to blame me for doing it. Whos playing the blame game now?

Comment

If you've moved on and look down on sharing (experienced and educated) advice, then why are you still here? Sometimes waiting things out is the best advice someone can get. It's a relief to most that, if they have to, they can stay where they are (even if for only a matter of months). I think I know what post may have set this off and I am one to say move on if the case warrants it, but it's not always an immediately viable option. Sometimes there is a choice between staying in a home that is in foreclosure or being homeless or stressing and scrambling to find a new home. I personally think that this is all stressful enough without the visions of packing your family up and moving in with your parents dancing in your head... and I had to do that right after I filed because I was laid off 3 months in. This is all so emotional. Losing a home after any period of time can be devastating. The feeling of failure can be all consuming.

I am not going to continue arguing with you or calling you judgmental. I can't fully understand where you are coming from, but I won't completely discount your opinion. I think that's where you should start since you seem to want to be here. You aren't going to agree with everyone's advice, but starting a thread that's pretty much dressing down the experienced members of this site is reasonably guaranteed to start an unneeded quarrel on the board. You kind of brought all these criticisms upon yourself.

On here, we look out for our own. This is not a forum for supporting big banking and CC companies. This is a sanctuary for people facing one of the toughest things that many people will ever face.. We're all just trying to get through it alive and still have the will to live. It's all about having and lending hope.

Comment

It seems to me that a couple of people took a wrong turn and ended up on the BK forum today. They really meant to go to the "Holier-Than-Thou, Aren't-I-Wonderful-Because-I-Did-My-BK-The-Right-Way, I-Paid-All-My-Debt-Off, Nah-Nah-Nah" forum.

And for the record:

No, I don't feel like the banks owed me anything for being current for years. But their business practices did contribute to the financial meltdown in this country. That's just a fact. You don't have to like that fact, but you can't change facts. Some people didn't have the option of just cancelling their cards when the rates went up. Goodie for you if you could, but get off your high-horse about it, because no one really cares.

I am not bitter about having to file BK. Stuff happens. And I have every intention of just "moving on" once this is over with.

I don't judge others who file BK or question their motives/methods. Everyone's situation is different and everyone deals with it in different ways.

I will give someone practical advice if they ask. I will not berate them for "dragging it out" or question their methods. If you choose to do so, don't get your panties in a wad when you get called out on it.
                              Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

BITTER, BITTER, BITTER. Nice to see that everyone has taken my saying that "IF" you are extending things and "IF" you are doing things that don't help you in the end and "IF" "MAYBE" the advice you give may not be all that wise to a new person you should re-think it to "YOUR NOT BETTER THAN ME, YOUR JUDGING ME, GET OFF YOUR SOAP BOX". So much anger and just waiting for a target to shoot at.

I'll go. Good luck to everyone trying to fix their lives for the better and remember that people that post here are not experts and you should always check with someone that knows the laws of your state before you do something that will cost you in the end.

Don't see a way to end the account so maybe someone can do it for me.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X