top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How PUBLIC is a BK - published in local paper ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How PUBLIC is a BK - published in local paper ??

I'm as worried as any newbie about privacy through this process. We have told NO ONE about this process. This might change as my emotional strength changes, but for now I am still wallowing in the shame and embarrassment of filing. I nearly died when the mail carrier delivered our mail today with the envelope blaring on the front...... "blah blah blah court....blah blah blah bankruptcy proceedings, etc." I wanted to run and hide because now our MAIL CARRIER would know I filed BK. *sigh*

I know that the records are public and anyone can see them if they have reason enough to search diligently, but I wondered just HOW public the process becomes? Is this published in the local newspaper? I read a post somewhere about that and wasn't clear or certain that is what happened.

And..... if it IS published in the newspaper, which county is it published? In the county of your residence or where the court is or where the 341 was held?

Thanks for so patiently answering all my endless questions. I'm sure there will be many more.

Filed 5/20/11
    341 Meeting 7/6/11
    Awaiting Discharge..........

Hello! I've heard that in some VERY small communities the local "newspaper" carries all such filings, but otherwise, in any reasonably sized community, no one...well, no one cares. Frankly, I doubt if your mailman much care (again unless it's a small community)...

BUT this is difficult for all of us, and I think you'll find here a great community of support, advice, and just many many wonderful people.

So THIS - don't worry about THIS - and of course it's easier to say than do :-)

So best wishes and let us know how you are doing!!!

Originally posted by kawimominPA View Post
    I'm as worried as any newbie about privacy through this process. We have told NO ONE about this process. This might change as my emotional strength changes, but for now I am still wallowing in the shame and embarrassment of filing. I nearly died when the mail carrier delivered our mail today with the envelope blaring on the front...... "blah blah blah court....blah blah blah bankruptcy proceedings, etc." I wanted to run and hide because now our MAIL CARRIER would know I filed BK. *sigh*

I know that the records are public and anyone can see them if they have reason enough to search diligently, but I wondered just HOW public the process becomes? Is this published in the local newspaper? I read a post somewhere about that and wasn't clear or certain that is what happened.

And..... if it IS published in the newspaper, which county is it published? In the county of your residence or where the court is or where the 341 was held?

Thanks for so patiently answering all my endless questions. I'm sure there will be many more.

Comment

Don't lose any sleep over this, that same postal carrier saw other members of your community with that same envelope. Guess what, you will not be the last member of your community to file. If you are worried ask your lawyer to change your mailing address to their office. This of course will mean you will have to wait for any updates to your case (unless you subscribe to PACER) but if waiting = peace of mind then do it.

As for printing BKs in the paper - if a paper does do it, it's most likely buried in with the notices of sheriff sales and foreclosures which is usually published once a month and buried deep in the paper and is limited to to two or three lines max. These sections are non-revenue generating so they are limited in space and publishing.

My family members (mother, EX-brother-in-law, EX-husband) were receiving calls from CA's I was dying (and it was thrown in my face during the divorce), once I filed and the calls stopped not a single family member asked why.

It's three steps... Breathe in.. Breathe out.. Move on.
      Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

Originally posted by kawimominPA View Post
        " I wanted to run and hide because now our MAIL CARRIER would know I filed BK.(
        Another way to maybe stop this, the neighbors, your local letter carrier etc., from viewing your mail is maybe to rent a P.O. Box. I've had one for years, and right after I filed, a friend suggested that I cancel it and have the mail delivered to my house to save expenses. However, Boyfriend said: Are you kidding? Do we really want mail coming to the house with stuff printed on it like 'U.S. BANKRUPTCY COURT,' correspondence from a lawyer's office, and more! And also, what if the mail gets misdelivered to someone else's house on the street!

Needless to say, we have kept the P.O. box. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by lillymarlene View Post
          Another way to maybe stop this, the neighbors, your local letter carrier etc., from viewing your mail is maybe to rent a P.O. Box. I've had one for years, and right after I filed, a friend suggested that I cancel it and have the mail delivered to my house to save expenses. However, Boyfriend said: Are you kidding? Do we really want mail coming to the house with stuff printed on it like 'U.S. BANKRUPTCY COURT,' correspondence from a lawyer's office, and more! And also, what if the mail gets misdelivered to someone else's house on the street!

Needless to say, we have kept the P.O. box. LOL
          Who cares what anyone else thinks? Everyone has secrets and BK is certainly no big deal.

Comment

we came from a VERY small community which usually they would publish all bk's, foreclosures, etc in the SMALL local paper. i have people now saying a few years ago they stopped since there were so many it would have taken the entire paper up!! LOL!! so, i know ours personally didn't get published and frankly, we didn't care since we moved 1800 miles away. and even if we didn't, if those that care about it are worth it anyway.

as logan points out, bk is very common and even if yours is published you'll probably or most likely have a ton of company.
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Do a search on your subject in this forum - your topic has been heavily discussed over the years...note that if your state or local paper currently publishes bankruptcies (many do so once a week in certain sections of the newspaper - ours publishes every Sunday in the Business section), when your BK is filed it will more than likely be published. Our paper publishes the name and town of the debtors along with the amount of assets and liabilities. As stated, it's in the Sunday Business section right next to the stock section and other business matters in a column entitled "Bankruptcies." So it all depends what is published in your state or area as to what your newspapers do. It is public information and they can post it the same as births, arrests, marriage licenses, etc. The bad thing about it is once posted in the newspaper, if one googles the name associated with the bankruptcy, it will appear on Google. That's just the way it is today with instant communication and news.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I say this in the most gentle friendly way possible, but those of you that are worrying, being embarrassed, hiding, shameful, et.al its all for naught and is not doing you any good. You're the only one thats making you feel that way - not anyone else, and to be honest, no one else really cares. If you happen to run across someone that does - be it family, friends, stranger down the street - tell them to put up or shut up, plain and simple. If they'd like to pay your bills every month, then feel free, otherwise shut it.

All of this stigma with filing BK isnt worth the time or energy trying to defend it; business's file all the time and no one says boo to them - so quit putting all the weight on yourselves and stop worrying about what "everyone else thinks". Remember, many times worrying what everyone else thought / had got many to where they are today - in BK (i.e., "The Jones's"). Getting PO Box so that your mailcarrier wont see BK Court is ridiculous (sorry...) who the hell cares what the mailman/woman thinks?! I dont... I just smile and go about my day.

Hold your head high and learn from past mistakes - moving forward with your life and fresh start. Tell everyone else to go take a hike...

Comment

The only people who "want" you to feel stigmatized are the banks. Just like the propaganda machine they are running with your FICO scores they want everyone to drain all of their savings and 401k's to do everything to save their precious "score" and not file for bankruptcy. Not that you should make such a decision lightly, you likewise should keep emotions out of it! This is a business decision and if there is a point in your life where it makes business sense then don't worry about what someone else might think. The banks don't care about your future so if you don't no one else will. Ask yourself what is the cost of going bankrupt -- filing fees, attorney fees, increased interest rates if you have to borrow in the future etc. vs how much is it going to save you, canceled debt, interest etc. For me it was 6 figure savings = no brainer. Quickly got over the emotional aspect, especially when last summer that single senator stopped extension of unemployment and my wife was abruptly cut off. Remember anyone who would look down at you doesn't care about you - so why would you care about their opinion?

Comment

Who cares what anyone else thinks? Everyone has secrets and BK is certainly no big deal.
                    I don't exactly care either, but I don't exactly shout it from the rooftops. There is also the feelings of another person in my household (my boyfriend) to consider. I've told everybody that is in my life, who I feel should know. Then being able to discuss this with friends and family, does make it a lot easier.

I agree with other people here, that those who've decided to look down on me, weren't my friends anyway, and their opinion does't matter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X