This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we consider ourselves thieves?

I am having a problem with a new CC (which I posted about @ Rebuilding Credit) that I posted about @ Fat Wallet (where I got the whole idea of applying for a bunch of credit cards at one time) as well, giving my background story of my BK (since obviously it has relevance to the problems I'm having with my CC.)

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

One of the members just came out and called me (and I suppose by extension, anyone who has had debt discharged) a thief! (Note his avatar!)

You are a loser to any lender ... You legally got away with stealing 140k from lenders.
    Has anyone else been called a thief for simply going through a BK?
    Last edited by JackBondLove; 01-19-2012, 01:51 AM.

I don't know how long you've been a member of the Fatwallet forum, but it says you're a new member. One thing you need to do when you post on a forum, is what the proper procedures are. Not much different than how different courts have certain procedures you have to go through, certain ways of doing things, etc.

Simply posting that you had gone through bankruptcy was iffy, but not that big a faux pas. Saying how much, could be construed as bragging. Regardless, it's not really necessary info. The most I would have said is that I filed bankruptcy 18 months ago, one of the accounts discharged was Barclays, and left it at that.

If you go on ANY site (other than those dedicated to bankruptcy, credit repair, or what-not) and let it be known that you've filed for bankruptcy, expect some rude comments at the very least. If you go on a finance site, brag that you've gotten new credit cards after defaulting on six digits of debt, and are pissed that they're not giving you enough credit...expect some backlash, name-calling, etc. Right or wrong, it is what it is.
    Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I am an idiot. Do not take my advice. I am not responsible for what happens if you blindly follow an idiot's advice. Blah blah and more legal stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dman View Post
      I don't know how long you've been a member of the Fatwallet forum, but it says you're a new member. One thing you need to do when you post on a forum, is what the proper procedures are. Not much different than how different courts have certain procedures you have to go through, certain ways of doing things, etc.

Simply posting that you had gone through bankruptcy was iffy, but not that big a faux pas. Saying how much, could be construed as bragging. Regardless, it's not really necessary info. The most I would have said is that I filed bankruptcy 18 months ago, one of the accounts discharged was Barclays, and left it at that.

If you go on ANY site (other than those dedicated to bankruptcy, credit repair, or what-not) and let it be known that you've filed for bankruptcy, expect some rude comments at the very least. If you go on a finance site, brag that you've gotten new credit cards after defaulting on six digits of debt, and are pissed that they're not giving you enough credit...expect some backlash, name-calling, etc. Right or wrong, it is what it is.
      Have to agree with this and honestly what did you expect? After reading the thread I have to agree with the comments made there. While filing bankruptcy is legal there are many people out there they do look at it as legally stealing. Not many people can wrap their head around someone having 140k in CC debt, filing bankruptcy and then being indignant that they are not able to get prime credit 18 months later. What was the purpose of posting this on this site? Were you not getting the answers you wanted from this forum? As I said before, you are playing with fire and nothing anyone can say is going to stop you. People have posted how to build up your credit but you just are not listening and are pretty much ignoring any advice given and forging forward with what you want to do.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

jack jack jack!!! what are we going to do with you!

as the other answers to this thread have stated, you are new to that forum and i'm certain they just don't know and love you like we do LOL!! understanding a bit of your past by many of you threads for some time now, i can understand some may find your views as "different". it's always easy to be different, but some really do get upset when they think your skirted your way about getting your debts discharge. which YOU DID NOT, you did it though the front door. they just don't have enough history to get you, or even know what or why you did what you did. so it's hard to throw it out there and just see how the lions and tigers are going to react.
        Last edited by tobee43; 01-19-2012, 07:09 AM.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

JBL, I did not at first like your thread about amassing a bunch of CCs. I hate CCs, but the thread morphed into some good stuff and became popular. Grats on that one. At the best you are slightly arrogant, but in a nice way. As we both know, we have some disagreements in politics and other things, but you are a likeable personality here, and we all love you. But you went into a hornets nest of those who do not know you like we do. Your "quaint" personality went off on them as they don't know you as we do.

They see you on the surface only. Of course your credit rating goes down on every hard pull of your credit and you just did a marathon amount of credit apps. Once Bartley approved you, they gave you 1900 bucks credit but then the ambush of other cards went out, they checked you again and this looked like an irregular person with "something up his sleeve". So all those cards will probably react the same way.

Stay with your friends who understand you. Don't expect to go into a hornets nest carrying a stick and not get a reaction from the populace. Your friend, 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I agree with the other posters on the other board. I think you are bragging and what you are doing is reckless. I do not think BK tought you anything. This is my opinion.
            "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

We are at peace with our decision to file because it's the best thing for our family. However, it's not information that we will ever voluntarily offer to anyone unless one of us is applying for a job that requires a background/credit check. The only people who really understand BK are those that have been through it. Everyone else is judgmental-I know I used to be, as were many others here, which is why it takes some people so long to finally see the writing on the wall and learn the truth. I thank God every day that I found this site and didn't go into debt management or liquidate my 401K, etc... BK will be the first step in rebuilding our lives-we know what we need to do to rebuild credit and we'll do so, just quietly.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                JBL, I did not at first like your thread about amassing a bunch of CCs. I hate CCs, but the thread morphed into some good stuff and became popular. Grats on that one. At the best you are slightly arrogant, but in a nice way. As we both know, we have some disagreements in politics and other things, but you are a likeable personality here, and we all love you. But you went into a hornets nest of those who do not know you like we do. Your "quaint" personality went off on them as they don't know you as we do.

They see you on the surface only. Of course your credit rating goes down on every hard pull of your credit and you just did a marathon amount of credit apps. Once Bartley approved you, they gave you 1900 bucks credit but then the ambush of other cards went out, they checked you again and this looked like an irregular person with "something up his sleeve". So all those cards will probably react the same way.

Stay with your friends who understand you. Don't expect to go into a hornets nest carrying a stick and not get a reaction from the populace. Your friend, 'Hub
                I will have to disagree with ya Hubs I don't understand him. From all of Jack's posts I get the impression he secretly wishes he "got away" with more. I think he is on a path to be a repeat offender.
                Last edited by Freddy03; 01-19-2012, 07:20 AM.
                "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Holy carp Jack, that's a LOT of red. I'm a regular over on FW and it's not often you see that much

They are a pretty tough crowd, tho there is a great deal of collective wisdom there....
                  Lots of good response here. Stick with your pals here and hey... it's a cruel world out there, so be careful.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post

(((hugs))))
                    fabulous post

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

So, you say "I have a history of being a deadbeat" because you filed BK and you expect to be treated with respect? You are only perpetuating their opinion of people who file BK. You are not doing the rest of us a favor in the world of public opinion.

Most of the replies were respectful and made a lot of sense. Even the guy who called you a thief made good points, despite his idiodic comment about you being a theif.
                      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                        I will have to disagree with ya Hubs I don't understand him. From all of Jack's posts I get the impression he secretly wishes he "got away" with more. I think he is on a path to be a repeat offender.
                        No, I just said that all things being equal, had I had more assets coming out of BK, I would be in better shape now. Nobody can deny this. Think of it like this - if someone had the option of flushing down that last month of CC payments or buying something that would end up being exempt, that person would be in a better position post-BK by having bought that item rather than make that payment.

Comment

I agree with the other posters on the other board. I think you are bragging and what you are doing is reckless. I do not think BK tought you anything. This is my opinion.
                          BK has taught me that if I pay my attorney $1500, and after the discharge, pay $5K to buy back my assets, I can wipe away any unsecured debt that I may have garnered (so long as it has been properly seasoned), with the penalty being treated shabbily by future creditors (which has some financial value) and folks on finance forums (which has some emotional value, FWIW.) What is it supposed to teach me? It's a business tool that can be used - and should be used, from a personal fiduciary POV - if the benefits outweigh the costs. Mitt Romney used it like crazy during his Bain Capital days - what did HE learn? (Actually, that would be a fantastic debate question when goes up against the POTUS!)

I don't expect that creditors will be very interested in giving me unsecured credit - and I don't have a problem with that as all I need is about a $2K limit to buy the things I need (which for me now includes a $1200 or so airline ticket every year.) However, I would like the ability to get secured credit - a HELOC, to tap the equity in my home, and perhaps in the future a car loan. But to get the HELOC, I need to show that I'm a good little boy and can get a lot of unsecured credit. I'm just disgusted that folks won't give me the secured loan I want!
                          Last edited by JackBondLove; 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
                            BK has taught me that if I pay my attorney $1500, and after the discharge, pay $5K to buy back my assets, I can wipe away any unsecured debt that I may have garnered (so long as it has been properly seasoned), with the penalty being treated shabbily by future creditors (which has some financial value) and folks on finance forums (which has some emotional value, FWIW.) I don't expect that creditors will be very interested in giving me unsecured credit - and I don't have a problem with that as all I need is about a $2K limit to buy the things I need (which for me now includes a $1200 or so airline ticket every year.) However, I would like the ability to get secured credit - a HELOC, to tap the equity in my home, and perhaps in the future a car loan. But to get the HELOC, I need to show that I'm a good little boy and can get a lot of unsecured credit. I'm just disgusted that folks won't give me the secured loan I want!
                            You can't be disgusted b/c you filed BK and have to prove yourself to creditors. They are taking a risk lending to you. Shoot after all your posts I wouldn't loan you $10. I'm sorry but I do not agree with what you are trying to do. You act as if people/creditors owe you something. I'd be real surprised you get an HELOC with out a job. And if you have to charge $1200 on a $2000 card - BK has taught you NOTHING!!

Comment

You can't be disgusted b/c you filed BK and have to prove yourself to creditors. They are taking a risk lending to you. Shoot after all your posts I wouldn't loan you $10. I'm sorry but I do not agree with what you are trying to do. You act as if people/creditors owe you something. I'd be real surprised you get an HELOC with out a job. And if you have to charge $1200 on a $2000 card - BK has taught you NOTHING!!
                              I think I might get a job (as an independent contractor) that might get me about $1K/mo, and that would be enough for me to get my HELOC.

And why do you say that BK has taught me nothing? I never lost the ability to control my spending. I am just as much of a tightwad as I was before (if not more!) What I lost was my ability to generate income of $10K/mo when I wanted to, as in the old days - thanks to outsourcing and age discrimination. I have accepted this fate.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X