Finally filing Monday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally filing Monday!

This past week we finally had our meeting with the attorney, went through everything, and filled out all of our paperwork. Things have actually been oddly ok over the past couple of months. I think the last time I posted here was August when I had a pesky collector who started calling my parents "looking for me." Obviously everyone's mileage will vary with this, but I thought I'd relate my experience thus far:

I stopped paying on my cards January 2012-call it a "New Year's Resolution." I sold my truck and used that money plus the cash I was saving not paying over $800 worth of minimum payments every month to get my wife into a certified pre-owned used vehicle with a 10 year/100K mile warranty (to make sure that we're covered through the BK) with a reasonable payment before she defaulted on her cards. By March we had found the right vehicle and she was able to stop paying. Following the advice here we both set up GV numbers but they did still eventually dig up our cells and home phone. I fielded one call at work, instructed them never to call again and that solved that problem. My wife is unemployed so she just turned the ringer off on the home phone-no one usually calls us on it anyway. The calls were pretty steady from April to August but they were very predictable-each creditor seemed to call at the same time on the same day. Then they'd go quiet for two weeks, then start back up again. I had met with two different attorneys in February for a free consult and in August when the collectors started calling around to family members I called the one I got a better feel from back and paid the retainer fee.

After paying the retainer I began to answer the collection calls and told them that I had retained a law firm and that all calls should be directed to them, gave them the contact information, case number, etc... Some got snide with me and started asking if we were filing BK, one pressed me and said "is this a real law firm or just something you made up?", and some just said "Ok thank you." Then the calls abruptly stopped-no letters, nothing. Life began to feel pretty normal again. When we met with the attorney I asked how many C&D letters they had to send out (I was worried about extra fees) and they told me they hadn't sent out any. They said that a few called to verify that I had indeed given out the contact information of a legitimate law firm and that we had indeed retained them. Apparently that was enough to cause them to lose interest and move on to the next poor sap. I liken it to a burglar approaching a house who hears what sounds to be a large barking dog inside. The burglar then moves on to the next house where there's no barking, which is presumably an easier target.

So our petition gets filed with the court tomorrow and we wait... Hopefully we'll have our discharge in hand in about 4.5-5 months according to the attorney. Filing just before the holidays will probably delay things a bit since the courts will be off a number of days this month and next. In any event I feel like we've already made a lot of progress. We're actually spending less than we're taking in, paying for things with cash, and not getting harassed. At this point we just need to go through the motions to make it all official and get the debts completely wiped out. There are still some challenges as my wife is on unemployment and we're waiting to see what Congress does with EUC benefits as part of the fiscal cliff nightmare. In any event, this forum has been unbelievably helpful in all of this and I'm glad that I found it! I'll give updates periodically as I get them, but there should be no surprises as we're a no asset case.

Welcome to your fresh start

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats on your decision to file. You did the right thing.

Comment

What did you decide to do about your savings bonds? Have you spoken to your parents about them? Can you exempt them?
          I have some too, and they are rarely discussed here. Would love to hear something about them.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
            What did you decide to do about your savings bonds? Have you spoken to your parents about them? Can you exempt them?
            I have some too, and they are rarely discussed here. Would love to hear something about them.
            We simply totaled them up and exempted them. I had told my parents that we had decided to get a safe deposit box and were going to put the bonds and all of our important papers into it, so I was able to look them over. None of them are mature yet (some will reach maturity in 5-6 years, some not for 10-12 years) so they're only worth about $4500 as of right now. I looked them all up on the Department of Treasury website, which has a nice feature that puts them into a spreadsheet with the serial number, denomination, value, and date of full maturity. I just printed that out and gave it to the attorney. I was only stressing about it because I wasn't sure if our exemptions would cover everything, but like most people, we found that we WAAAAAAAY overvalued the things we own and that our exemptions (Federal) more than cover us. My plan for the bonds is as they mature to roll them into some kind of college savings account for my daughter (14 months old)-they will all be mature by the time she is college age.

Comment

NO safe deposit box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they can trace that via ss number!!!

get a safe and put it in your home, but NOT a BANK. and i would keep it at your parents house as well.

also, i know you were explaining about the calls, and they will completely stop shortly however C&D letter...even referring the creditors really doesn't have any legal basis for them to stop calling until that docket number of your filing is available. some may be polite, and others no way.

i really learned that when i spent a small fortune sending certified professional C&D letters that they all threw in the trash and then our atty even sent each and everyone one of them (i took a year to pay off our atty so although he was retained we didn't file until 2 years after we hired the firm). that was really done on purpose as we were waiting out the residency requirements for the state we were filing in which was florida.

they will stop calling really soon and what a great way to start the new year!! congrats!
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Congratulations and thank you sharing your story. Keep us posted. It will all be over before you know it.
                Lawyer - $3000
                Filing fee - $299
                Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

If the bonds are exempted, then does it matter if the box can be traced?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Since we are on the topic now...some of my very old bonds have my mom on as the second name. One attorney suggested that they might be considered half hers. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Congrats on getting to this milestone in the process. You made it, great! We filed last December 13th and we were discharged and closed on March 21st so you may be closer to the end then you think!

Comment

Once you file today, you will truly feel a sense of peace. When we filed back in May, we waited in our attorney's office while they electronically filed for us. They wanted to make sure we had the paperwork and case number before we left the office that day. Once I held that information in my hand, I felt relief I had not felt in years. No more worrying and feeling ashamed. It just flew out the window that day. It was a pleasure to speak with the creditors after that to give them our case number.

I can understand how your wife feels. I was unemployed when we filed, got a job, then laid off again within a matter of weeks. It was crazy but everything worked out. I am now working two part-time jobs from home. I'm sure your wife will find something soon. Sending good wishes her way!

Comment

Just to clarify a few things:

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                          NO safe deposit box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they can trace that via ss number!!!
                          Just to clarify we didn't put them in a safe deposit box-we don't actually have one. I used that as a cover story to explain why I wanted to take possession of the bonds (they had been in my parents' safe deposit box)-I figured it would go over better than "Hey mom and dad-we're filing for Bankruptcy and I need to know how much my savings bonds are worth!" The bonds ended up being a non-issue because we have more than enough exemptions under federal to keep them.

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                          also, i know you were explaining about the calls, and they will completely stop shortly however C&D letter...even referring the creditors really doesn't have any legal basis for them to stop calling until that docket number of your filing is available. some may be polite, and others no way.
                          We haven't gotten a call or a letter in months. My attorney never sent a single C&D letter, but a few creditors did call the office to verify that they were representing us and then they stopped. Like I said, I believe they saw that we had enough sense to file and simply decided to move on to lower hanging fruit. Not saying that is the norm or that it would happen for anyone else, just relating our experience.

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                            If the bonds are exempted, then does it matter if the box can be traced?
                            No, it woudn't matter. In fact, it shouldn't matter even if the bonds are not exempt. Whether they can be traced or not, they are assets that must be listed on the BK petition. The OP was not trying to hide anything. If he was, we wouldn't give him advice on bkforum to help him commit fraud.
                            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I'm still waiting to see what happens when someone actually has to turn them over. As in, who pays the taxes on the interest.... and if there is more than one name on the bond,how it is treated.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X