top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice regarding the ******* lawyers from best buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice regarding the ******* lawyers from best buy.

We haven't heard from them in months. Our bankruptcy was discharged in October. I had a camera I bought from Best Buy. It was included in our bankruptcy. Now, today, my husband gets a call saying we need to send the camera back or pay $1200. I am like what? Seriously!??

So he called our attorney, who has been crappy at best, and she says if they will send us a prepaid box, we will send it back but we won't pay to mail it to them. Well, that pisses me off. If I had known this, I would have sold the damn thing to pay for legal costs before we filed!!

Can they keep harassing us like this? What can we do? (By the way, NO ONE appeared in court when we had our meeting)

Sounds like Bass and Associates.
    Just ignore them and eventually they'll leave you alone and go bother someone else.

Comment

That's who it is! Can they do anything legally? It just makes me so angry after all the hell we endured last summer getting through our BK which was one fiasco after another. Almost being dismissed, failed 341 meeting, etc. We should be at peace and those jerks are harassing my husband. Grrrrr.

Thank you!

Comment

Good advice. Don't respond to them or listen to your attorney.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO, IF they really want(ed) the camera, they should have claimed it during the BK-case. AFTER your discharge, contacting you and demanding $$$ sounds illegal to me.
          Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
          FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
          FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Hi, yeah they are vultures for sure. I guess because it is considered secured debt they could come and repo the camera. Will they bother? Probably not, but with them you never know. Ignore them and they might go away eventually but be prepared they can be nags and bothersome at the least. But just like your other secured debt that was discharged (house, vehicles etc.) if you are not paying they may come and take it back. How old is it? Is it worth the hassel at this point, I mean you could hand it back and be done with it. Good luck!

Comment

IGNORE. Do NOT stress.
              Make them come and get it at a time that is convenient for you.
              That will shut them up real fast.
              Virtually no one here has reported Bass and Ass actually getting the required Writ of Replevin and then coming to their door.
              Not. Gonna. Happen.

As we used to say regularly around here.... they can POUND SAND.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Send a C& D letter with a copy of your Discharge Order--both sides, if it is two-sided. Tell then that they are breaking the permanent stay concerning your BK. If they persist, you will refer them to your Trustee and Judge. And I would send a Courtesy Copy to your attorney, trustee, and judge.

Good luck!
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

As I understand the situation, it is secured debt. If true I don't believe they are in violation of the discharge order so a C&D letter is not appropriate. A home can be foreclosed post BK. I do believe they have to file a motion with the court, replieven, something similar to that name. They can not just show up and demand it. Ask for the court order, once you get the right name, and surrender it then when they show up at your door. You do not have to go out of your way to get the camera to them. Until they get real peaty, no response is best. In the mean time do searches on this site under Bass and Associates. Best of luck.
                  Lawyer - $3000
                  Filing fee - $299
                  Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

Bass & Assoc asked us (through our attorney) a couple of times if we were going to reaffirm or surrender on two different accounts (Best Buy & Furniture Row). I ignored them and we were discharged.

Since our discharge they have sent several very vague form letters asking us if we were going to pay for or surrender our property. I found it interesting that they didn't itemize these items, they just listed "furniture" and "electronics." They wanted us to fill out the information about what we had and provide our contact information so they could either collect $$ or the items.

I trashed the letters each time. They couldn't tell me what the secured items were, why would I volunteer that information?

Ignore them -- they do eventually go away.

Comment

How long did it take for them To disappear? They contacted me through the attorney. I declined. They could not come up with an itemized list. It was clear they were trying to piece something together. So when do they disappear? Should I expect to hear from them after discharge, too?

Comment

Hi Lady, welcome to the forum
                        They might bug you but 99% chance they won't follow through.
                        I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can yank them around if you want to have some fun with them.
                        It's just not worth their while to spend too much time and effort to get back their used items. A few phone calls or letters is one thing- going through with the required paperwork, pick-up and follow through is another.
                        In all the headache and heartache of bk, this should really be the least of your worries. It's so rare that they follow through that it just isn't an issue. I think they are just trying to make a point. They don't really want their used junk back.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Hi, LadybugsRUs. As many people have already advised you, don't communicate with Bass & Associates, and instruct your attorney to do the same. In order to obtain a writ of replevin and legally repossess merchandise, they would need to provide a list of model and serial numbers (for things that have them) or at least a detailed description for things that don't (such as furniture). They can't simply ask for a court order to repossess "items" or "electronics" without the necessary information, and they know that! That is why they send you a request for information, trying to get you to provide this info! Most (intelligent) people know that it's a ploy, and trash the forms, and never hear back.

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                            I think they are just trying to make a point. They don't really want their used junk back.
                            I don't think they want to make a point. I think they want to scare people into paying them money to avoid repossession of the junk.
                            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

You can ignore Bass and Asses until such time they actually hire a real person to file for and receive a Writ of Replevin, then have it served, then come get their secured item(s). Which never happens.

Completely ignore them. Don't respond; don't be concerned. They are fishing. That is their job. After a while they will go away. Until then it is just another piece of junk mail to throw away.

Just understand that the work is ALL on their end, and you are not obligated to do any of it for them.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X