Three years of tax returns they want IMMEDIATELY. No longer have 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three years of tax returns they want IMMEDIATELY. No longer have 2011

I just got a letter asking me for three years of tax returns 2011, 2012, 2013. I cannot find 2011 and have been looking for hours. I have 2012 and 2013 filed and ready to turn in. They also said they want it Immediately!! How can they ask me for three years ? isn't there a law saying after two years you no longer need them? Also me and my wife were not married in 2011 does she need to turn in hers for that year as well if i am filing alone? She said she tossed them in the trash.

What will happen if i dont turn in my 2011 tax returns, I don't have them for the state of fed gov?

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...y-trustee.html

You are required to submit at least 1 year tax return with your filing, or before 7 days before your 341 meeting, but the trustee can ask for more than 1 year. I was required to submit 2 years.

The IRS recommends you keep copies of your returns for at least 3 years.

If you have an IRS office near your, you may be able to get an official (stamped) transcript immediately. You can also get a transcript of your return online.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

If you filed pro se, you might call your case manager and ask if the online version for the missing year is acceptable.

Sorry, I can't comment on your wife's tax return for that year. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon.

Comment

Turn in what you have now, and get a copy of the 2011 on the way.

By the way, I had to submit 4 years of returns.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Also me and my wife were not married in 2011 does she need to turn in hers for that year as well if i am filing alone?
        If you did not marry until some time in 2012 and, if, by "filing alone", you mean your wife did not file bk with you then "no". Her finances before you married are not in issue since there was no marital community in 2011.

Des.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Here is another question. My wife was told to pay all the bills days before I filed and for some reason that I don’t know why, she waited until Sunday night and I filed Monday. Now on her bank statements it is showing the bills didn’t go through until the day after I filed bankruptcy showing there was an extra $400.00 in her account because the charges were processing. I can pull up papers from the power CO and water CO showing that the bills were paid the day before and before I filed but the bank statements do not reflect this.

Think this is going to present a problem? Our situation is we are living on student loans and got rid of the last bit of student loan money that we had. We are not working at the time so have absolutely nothing if the trustee demands money. We wont get our next student loans until the end of August.

I am thinking of including a letter stating the bills were paid before the date the statement shows and attaching the power and water bill showing when it was really paid. Then mentioning that for the last 2 years we have only received money from student loans and student loans she is forbidden to touch under

20 U.S.C. Ch. 28 Sub Ch. IV Part F 1095a(d):
          (d) No attachment of student assistance

Except as authorized in this section, notwithstanding any other provision of Federal or State law, no grant, loan, or work assistance awarded under this subchapter and part C of subchapter I of chapter 34 of Title 42, or property traceable to such assistance, shall be subject to garnishment or attachment in order to satisfy any debt owed by the student awarded such assistance, other than a debt owed to the Secretary and arising under this subchapter and part C of subchapter I of chapter 34 of Title 42.

Does this sound like a good idea? I fear shes going to go after the power CO payment and water CO payment. We have $140 left and that suppose to make it until our end of August student loans. Our home is paid off and protected under our states homestead.

Comment

I am no expert, but in my case (I filed alone, not with my wife) the lawyer didn't seem to care what was in my wife's accounts that I was not also on. I am in Ohio though, so maybe that is why.
            Filed ch7 6/7/14 Discharged 9/16/14 Case closed 10/1/14

Comment

Generally speaking, the Trustee is not interested in anything less than $600. It's not worth the hassle. Your Trustee may be nitpicky. It is what it is at this point and just wait to see if the Trustee even cares. (It doesn't matter when you "submitted" a payment. It only matters what the balance was on your account the day before filing.)

Worry about whether the Trustee even cares. We are not talking thousands of dollars.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                Generally speaking, the Trustee is not interested in anything less than $600. It's not worth the hassle. Your Trustee may be nitpicky. It is what it is at this point and just wait to see if the Trustee even cares. (It doesn't matter when you "submitted" a payment. It only matters what the balance was on your account the day before filing.)

Worry about whether the Trustee even cares. We are not talking thousands of dollars.
                I had about $70 in cash in various checking accounts, and the trustee wanted EVERY LAST PENNY!

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                  Your Trustee may be nitpicky.
                  Originally posted by joshuagraham View Post
                  I had about $70 in cash in various checking accounts, and the trustee wanted EVERY LAST PENNY!
                  Your Trustee WAS nitpicky.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuagraham View Post
                    I can certainly say this. Cash is what we call a "liquid" asset and is very easy for the Trustee to ask you to write a check at the 341 Meeting. I'm talking about items which may require litigation or the Trustee is going to have a legal contested matter (which adds costs).

Remember, part of this is a negotiation and part is strong-armed tactics. (The Trustee had a bunch of strong-arm powers to coerce or relieve a party of property of the Estate.)

And there is the nitpicky Trustee who, at your 341 Meeting, asks you to pull out your checkbook, tell you the balance as of the filing of the case, and then coerce you to write a check right there.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X