No more paying online for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more paying online for me

So, i'm a little angry right now! I figured i would vent to people who can understand what i'm going through. So here goes... I tried to go online tonight to schedule my car payment and boom! You are not authorized. We have been notified you filed a petition for bankruptcy.So i call the 1800 number and it says they will no longer issue me statements and I can not use their online system anymore. Mind you i'm reaffirming my car loan with them in my ch7. I can only make payments by snail mail or telephone with a $5 dollar extra charge. What gives? Is this normal? I feel like i'm being treated like some criminal when i'm doing the right thing. How will i know my exact car payment due date when they wont even send me statements? Ugh......just venting guys. I know i filed bankruptcy. I guess its just the little unexpected things that are happening that really making everything sink in!

This is normal. In fact, they are the ones who would be treated criminally (well in civil contempt) if they in any way attempted to "collect" on a debt that is covered by the Bankruptcy "automatic stay". They do this to avoid any issues with a debtor later saying that the creditor demanded payment or otherwise took actions to collect a dischargeable (or discharged) debt during the automatic stay.

They are protecting themselves from sanctions.

You can have your attorney write them a letter granting them permission to speak with you and bill you. Until your case is discharged and/or closed, don't expect the lender to "ask" you for anything. I would have thought that your attorney reviewed the process with you at one of your meetings.

Hopefully, you already know your due date, which is typically a fixed date every month. Mine is on the 15th.

(And not to belabor a point, but why are you reaffirming a car? Please tell me that it's Ford Motor Credit or one of the only 2 or 3 lenders which require reaffirmation? Or it's a credit union and you have other business there.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Set up online bill pay with your bank and have the payments made automatically from your checking account.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
        Set up online bill pay with your bank and have the payments made automatically from your checking account.
        This.

I pay my mortgage through my banks online bill pay. Usually takes two business days and my lender gets the payment and credits my account appropriately. Never had an issue with that. As for my car, I use a local credit union and usually pay at the teller window with a checking account check. No problem there, though the teller always has to call someone at the central office before completely processing the transaction.

Comment

I had the same issues with the mortgage, but I use my online banking payment system and they have always taken them.
          11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X