Obamacare and us poor folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obamacare and us poor folks

Please no flaming... I really need to get some answers and I have no idea who to ask.

So... I currently buy health insurance thru a college... frankly it's a PITA having to go to school but it was the only way to get something affordable. Dh has none as we couldn't afford for both of us this semester- have to pay in lump sum.

I don't even know where to look to get info as to what to do next so that we can both have insurance. do we have to go without for six months to qualify? You guys are about the best resource I know... any thoughts? Does anyone have any solid info on how Obama care will work for us well-under-the-median people?

The precarious nature of our insurance is one reason we can't file yet.

Thanks in advance.
    KS

Keep On Smilin'

Have you tried applying for new individual insurance? The rules for pricing and pre-existing conditions are already in effect.

I'm waiting for 2014 to try shopping around, but that's just because the state exchanges are slated to go online and should greatly improve the process (I live in Florida though and the state is trying everything it can to get out of it, so we'll see).

Doesn't really change much for those of us in the donut hole between medicaid and group plans.
    Filed Chapter 7, January 2013. 341 Meeting, March 2013.
    Discharged as Asset Case w/ Stipulation, May 2013. Closed, May 2014.
    South Florida foreclosure: last payment, October 2012. Lis pendens, November 2013.

Comment

We don't have an extra 700+ a month. We'd have to give up eating completely.
      I really meant it when I said we are (working) poor.
      We used our home equity to pay for health ins for years. A huge part of why we are bk.
      Was on state plan at one time, took a little job, made just too much to qualify, got kicked off and it's been a downward spiral ever since.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

My suggestion was to go with a state plan, but it looks like you've already tried that. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Comment

I've been lurking here for awhile, but just had to post on this topic. My husband became disabled a few years ago, we lost our house, went through a chapter 7, and now are doing fine. We have a small apartment, and he gets SSDI. It covers all our bills and even leaves a little left over for savings. Hubby will be able to get medicare in about a year but I'm wondering how much it is going to cost for me to get "Obamacare". We are way below the median income for our area but I way above the "poverty line". OK, didn't have much to add to this conversation, I'm just concerned. I need health insurance but not sure how we will be able to afford it.

Comment

Do a google search on health insurance. When my ex switched jobs, he was a consultant and didn't get insurance as a result. He found a plan for around $600 a month. I helped him out by giving him a list of other insurers websites (there was a reason why I handled the finances when we were married) and he found something considerably cheaper. Not the best, but it was better than nothing. Just shop around.

Comment

I am currently paying for my own catastrophic care insurance with a very high deductible--$3500.00, and I am paying $389.00 damned dollars a month I CAN NOT afford.

When it goes up again in a month or two when a letter from BC&BS informing me of some new aspect of Obamacare going into effect that causes MY rates to rise, I will have to drop coverage entirely. I am only 60 years old and do not qualify for Medicare. And I do not believe that Medicare will be there in five years.

And do not tell me that I can shop around. I have done so. I have pre-existing conditions.
              Last edited by AngelinaCat; 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM.
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                I am currently paying for my own catastrophic care insurance with a very high deductible--$3500.00, and I am paying $389.00 damned dollars a month I CAN NOT afford.

When it goes up again in a month or two when a letter from BC&BS informing me of some new aspect of Obamacare going into effect that causes MY rates to rise, I will have to drop coverage entirely. I am only 60 years old and do not qualify for Medicare. And I do not believe that Medicare will be there in five years.

And do not tell me that I can shop around. I have done so. I have pre-existing conditions.
                I am with you Cat. I am a 59 yr old male and pay $385 per month with a $2750 annual co-pay. I put $100 per month into an HSA account but can not really afford it. My wife is on permanent disability SSDI so she gets Medicare otherwise we would not be eating. I have read that those of us that are below the median income will be eligible for some sort of financial assistance but I am not holding my breath.

As far as I see it Obama Don't Care.

Comment

What I am trying to learn is about credits etc for those of us who cannot afford insurance. I know there is something about that in those 900 pages but no idea how it all falls out. Does anyone here actually understand what is going to happen? Again, I need info -- please not political commentary.

Also I am leery of screwing myself again by getting him insurance and then falling thru the "must be uninsured for x mos to qualify" loophole.
                  Trying to pull us up by taking a part time job was the DUMBEST thing I ever did. Go know.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I found this article interesting, http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...dies-will-work. It appears to me if you do not qualify for medicaid in your state, it will cost you.
                    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Thanks FG for that link. We should qualify for something as we are not more than 400% of FPL. But I don't understand... do we have to put out the cash and wait for a tax credit???? And just not eat or have heat until tax time? (and then worry about a tt taking the refund???)

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

You will be able to apply the tax credit to your premium. From the official federal government website on Obamacare: http://www.healthcare.gov/law/inform...dividuals.html

Start here to get information relevant for you: http://www.healthcare.gov/law/inform...you/index.html

The tax credit doesn't start until 2014. Each state can set up its own insurance exchange. In states where an exchange is not set up by October 2013 to allow people to get coverage for 2014, the federal government will run an exchange.

keepsmiling, aren't you in New Jersey? According to my research, your governor vetoed legislation to set up an exchange.

Here's another site that looks like a good source of information: http://healthreform.kff.org/en/the-basics.aspx
                        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

In the hopes that this information helps someone, here is what I know and have experienced:

My Family Care Provider has three levels of service payments: Medicare/Medicaid; Insurance; and Patient Pay. 'Patient Pay' is the lowest level of payment allowed--below that of 'Medicare'. So I have 'Patient Pay'. Fortunately, I also have an HSA account, with which I can pay the copays. But when you have a $3500.00 deductible and you have a problem like I did with a fall and resulting emergency room services/charges, the HSA can run out fast.

ETA: I got distracted-sorry!. What I am attempting to say is to make an appointment with your family practitioner, and ask about payment arrangements. Most will work with you.
                          Last edited by AngelinaCat; 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM.
                          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                            ETA: I got distracted-sorry!. What I am attempting to say is to make an appointment with your family practitioner, and ask about payment arrangements. Most will work with you.
                            This is especially true when it's a scheduled service rather than emergency. Shop around for the best cash rate and use sites like Healthcare Blue Book to price out options and figure out the "gotcha" items (eg. anesthesia). Services that require facilities can often bundle payments for cash clients too, saving even more. A few doctors can do basic bloodwork at the office for cash clients (it's just easer to let big labs handle billing with insurance), so that's another thing to consider when shopping doctors since that can be such a huge unknown.

It's often cheaper to just pay the cash rate than the insurance rate, but it won't go toward your deductible so it's a bit of a gamble.
                            Filed Chapter 7, January 2013. 341 Meeting, March 2013.
                            Discharged as Asset Case w/ Stipulation, May 2013. Closed, May 2014.
                            South Florida foreclosure: last payment, October 2012. Lis pendens, November 2013.

Comment

I have, right now anyway, affordable state insurance. Only problem is, please don't flame me, looking at some of these posts, I sure wouldn't want to move out of this state. I also have to be wary about taking on any part-time job, since it could possibly push me out of, or to another "level" for this insurance. Though, employers here are forced to offer insurance for full-time employees and must pay at least 50% (should that ever happen.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X