top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro-Se. Do you know of a good Paralegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro-Se. Do you know of a good Paralegal?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good paralegal? There are so many web sites it's hard to know which one is legit.

Thanks for any help

If you are going to go the para legal route (not a good idea, in general)...

Then try to find someone local. Start with www.elance.com to see if you can locate someone. Many attorneys use elance to find paralegals to outsource petition prep work.

However, you need to carefully consider the decision to use a para legal. There is an odd irony...
    If the case is really that simple, you should be smart enough to figure out the bankruptcy petition on your own and spend the time researching the few technical points on the process you may need to know (paralegals cannot give you legal advice). If you can't figure out how to do it, then you really need an attorney because even with a paralegal, once you file the petition, you are on your own and there is NO ONE in the BK system that is on your side.

That $200-$300 price for the paralegal service may sound appealing, but go met with some attorneys, find out what your case would REALLY cost to be done right. If everyone quotes you $3,000, there is a reason, and a $300 para legal cannot solve a $3000 problem.

Comment

Anyone who is not an attorney or working under the direction of an attorney who prepares your bankruptcy petition is a "Bankruptcy Petition Preparer." No expertise, training or experience is required to be a bankruptcy petition preparer. Anybody can provide the service as long as they follow the relevant laws. If you hire a bankruptcy petition preparer, you should think of that person as no more than a typist, even if that person is a paralegal who provides the same service to attorneys. If you have access to a computer and a printer, a petition preparer is a waste of your money, IMHO.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
        If you are going to go the para legal route (not a good idea, in general)...

Then try to find someone local. Start with www.elance.com to see if you can locate someone. Many attorneys use elance to find paralegals to outsource petition prep work.

However, you need to carefully consider the decision to use a para legal. There is an odd irony...
        If the case is really that simple, you should be smart enough to figure out the bankruptcy petition on your own and spend the time researching the few technical points on the process you may need to know (paralegals cannot give you legal advice). If you can't figure out how to do it, then you really need an attorney because even with a paralegal, once you file the petition, you are on your own and there is NO ONE in the BK system that is on your side.

That $200-$300 price for the paralegal service may sound appealing, but go met with some attorneys, find out what your case would REALLY cost to be done right. If everyone quotes you $3,000, there is a reason, and a $300 para legal cannot solve a $3000 problem.
        a good paralegal will take the case. a great one knows when to refer their client to an atty.

as LITR points out "Bankruptcy Petition Preparer." No expertise, training or experience is required to be a bankruptcy petition preparer. Anybody can provide the service as long as they follow the relevant laws. If you hire a bankruptcy petition preparer, you should think of that person as no more than a typist"

and just to close my argument as hhm states: That $200-$300 price for the paralegal service may sound appealing, but go met with some attorneys, find out what your case would REALLY cost to be done right. If everyone quotes you $3,000, there is a reason, and a $300 para legal cannot solve a $3000 problem.

oh!!! and i'm a paralegal
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thank you for the reply and sorry about the duplicate post, I meant for my post to be under the Pro-Se section and posted it here by mistake. I really wanted it under the proper section.

I have gone to two lawyers now for a free consultation.

Cost will be $1300.

I am broke.

I was laid off and if I pay a lawyer...I will be using my rent money.

Therefore, I was going to file Pro-Se as there seems to be A LOT of people on here and on creditbaords that have filed Pro-Se successfully. I thought of using a Paralegal, to make sure there were no mistakes in my paperwork, as a security blanket.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
            Anyone who is not an attorney or working under the direction of an attorney who prepares your bankruptcy petition is a "Bankruptcy Petition Preparer." No expertise, training or experience is required to be a bankruptcy petition preparer. Anybody can provide the service as long as they follow the relevant laws. If you hire a bankruptcy petition preparer, you should think of that person as no more than a typist, even if that person is a paralegal who provides the same service to attorneys. If you have access to a computer and a printer, a petition preparer is a waste of your money, IMHO.
            Thank you for the reply. I am broke and trying to file the only way I see possible. Why are there so many successful pro-se filers on here?

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
              a good paralegal will take the case. a great one knows when to refer their client to an atty.

as LITR points out "Bankruptcy Petition Preparer." No expertise, training or experience is required to be a bankruptcy petition preparer. Anybody can provide the service as long as they follow the relevant laws. If you hire a bankruptcy petition preparer, you should think of that person as no more than a typist"

and just to close my argument as hhm states: That $200-$300 price for the paralegal service may sound appealing, but go met with some attorneys, find out what your case would REALLY cost to be done right. If everyone quotes you $3,000, there is a reason, and a $300 para legal cannot solve a $3000 problem.

oh!!! and i'm a paralegal
              Thank you for the reply and positivity! I hope I can file soon.

Comment

Originally posted by souprebel View Post
                Thank you for the reply. I am broke and trying to file the only way I see possible. Why are there so many successful pro-se filers on here?
                Partly because they have the support of this board, I suspect. They also educate themselves on how the process works, including familiarizing themselves with the bankruptcy code, federal rules of bankruptcy procedure and their local court rules. Many swear by the Nolo Chap 7 book. Going for free consultations with a couple of bankruptcy attorneys is also a good idea.

I thought of using a Paralegal, to make sure there were no mistakes in my paperwork, as a security blanket.
                If you have a simple case and the time and patience to learn the process, you can file on your own. But, a paralegal is not a good security blanket because they are not allowed to give you legal advice. It would be up to you to make sure there are no mistakes, because you are the one who would have to determine the appropriate contents of your paperwork. An attorney is a security blanket. As a pro se filer, you will be your own attorney and, therefore, your own security blanket.
                Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 12-05-2011, 06:17 PM.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Because we took our time, asked questions, got the Nolo Book for Chapter 7 and did our research...
                  I took 2 weeks, a few hours in the evenings to fill out my paper work.. Checked my paperwork about 10 times.
                  8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
                  9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
                  Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

No one but an attorney can offer you legal advice. If you pay a "paralegal" to prepare a petition for you, all they're doing is putting your information into the bankruptcy paperwork that you provide them with, in other words, just being a glorified typist. They will not check your paperwork or make sure you are doing anything right, they are not a security blanket.

If you have the time and drive to bring yourself up to speed on bankruptcy law, local practice, etc. to be your own "lawyer", pro se can be a possibility.

My suggestion is setting up a payment plan with a local attorney that can make sure your case is filed properly and that you will not lose any assets when you file. Should you file yourself, you are stating to the Courts that you have the same knowledge and expertise as an attorney and are competent enough to represent yourself.
                    Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                      Partly because they have the support of this board, I suspect. They also educate themselves on how the process works, including familiarizing themselves with the bankruptcy code, federal rules of bankruptcy procedure and their local court rules. Many swear by the Nolo Chap 7 book. Going for free consultations with a couple of bankruptcy attorneys is also a good idea.

If you have a simple case and the time and patience to learn the process, you can file on your own. But, a paralegal is not a good security blanket because they are not allowed to give you legal advice. It would be up to you to make sure there are no mistakes, because you are the one who would have to determine the appropriate contents of your paperwork. An attorney is a security blanket. As a pro se filer, you will be your own attorney and, therefore, your own security blanket.
                      Thank you.

I have gone for free consultations.

I have been reading for weeks on here and another site where I have been a member for 6 years.

I don't have money for a lawyer. I was laid-off August 5th 2011 along with 127 other people.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzstpoint View Post
                        Because we took our time, asked questions, got the Nolo Book for Chapter 7 and did our research...
                        I took 2 weeks, a few hours in the evenings to fill out my paper work.. Checked my paperwork about 10 times.
                        Thank you for the reply. I have been reading and asking questions...

Comment

Originally posted by BKAttyMI View Post
                          No one but an attorney can offer you legal advice. If you pay a "paralegal" to prepare a petition for you, all they're doing is putting your information into the bankruptcy paperwork that you provide them with, in other words, just being a glorified typist. They will not check your paperwork or make sure you are doing anything right, they are not a security blanket.

If you have the time and drive to bring yourself up to speed on bankruptcy law, local practice, etc. to be your own "lawyer", pro se can be a possibility.

My suggestion is setting up a payment plan with a local attorney that can make sure your case is filed properly and that you will not lose any assets when you file. Should you file yourself, you are stating to the Courts that you have the same knowledge and expertise as an attorney and are competent enough to represent yourself.
                          Thank you for the reply. I have made appts, free consultations. They didn't have payment plans. Their cost was averging $1300. I am broke. I was laid off in August 2011.
                          I would gladly file with a lawyer, two weeks ago, if i had the means to do so. I don't own a house, I have medical, cc's, and store cards, and a unsecured loan. My car is paid off but the credit union that I had the car loan with is holding my title due to the defaulted unsecured pesonal loan I had with them.

Comment

I had the car loan with is holding my title due to the defaulted unsecured pesonal loan I had with them.
                            That is your issue, if you file BK, the car is gone. Your car is NOT paid off because the Credit Union still holds title because of cross-collateralization. Again, a $300 paralegal cannot solve a $1,500 problem.

Also, your condescending replies are not endearing you to the members, "thank you for the reply, but"; if you don't care for the advice of the members here, best not to reply. At least be honest and reply with "f--k you, I already think I know everything, so your advice is worthless."

People CHOSE not to afford an attorney, everyone can afford an attorney at some level, they only CHOSE not to.
                            Last edited by HHM; 12-06-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                              That is your issue, if you file BK, the car is gone. Your car is NOT paid off because the Credit Union still holds title because of cross-collateralization. Again, a $300 paralegal cannot solve a $1,500 problem.

Also, your condescending replies are not endearing you to the members, "thank you for the reply, but", if you don't care for the advice of the members here, best not to reply. At least be honest and reply with f--k you, I already think I know everything, so your advice is worthless.

People CHOSE not to afford an attorney, everyone can afford an attorney, they only CHOSE not to.
                              Oh my gosh... I was sent here by another site, that I have been a member on for 6 years, they said this site was great and very helpful to people. Guess that was false by your reply. I would never say F-- you as I was raised with morals and values. Sorry that you feel I am being condescending with a reply of "Thank you" to each post. I was sincere and sorry if you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Wow.

It's not that I CHOSE not to afford an attorney. I have $2.54 in my checking account at this moment. I WOULD LOVE to hire an attorney. Unless I don't pay my rent to cover an attorney, but then I will be homeless.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X