FL law- 341 meeting off limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FL law- 341 meeting off limits

I wanted to attend a 341 meeting like so many on this forum to gain more insight on how it is conducted. Well, I just found out from the Clerk that the 341 meetings in FL is a closed meeting. Only trustee, debtor and creditors are allowed. She said not even the judge can sit in. Now, I'm really nervous about my Chp 7 no asset pro se filing! I was going to file soon but now I think I will triple check my paper work, re-read the Nolo book, go on Pacer again, and look at the list of qts the trustee might ask posted on this forum . This might sound obsessive but I don't have much choice.

***Would love some feedback or suggestions (especially those who have filed in FL please)
    Filed chp 7 pro se 1/9/12 341 meeting 2/14/12 Pass/Fail Means Test 2/28/12 Last day for Trustee or Creditor to object to my claims of personal property 3/14/12 Deadline for creditors to file AP 4/14/12

I think the clerk has given you some incorrect information. While it is true that the judge is not allowed to attend, the 341 meetings are generally open to the public. I have attended several of these meetings myself.

Comment

When we did our 341 we were early. The room was open and we simply walked in and looked around for about an hour. Sat in the chairs that were to be the Trustees and lawyers. When someone came in with the recorders and other stuff we were never asked a thing. We have what is called the "Sunshine Law" in Florida. I don't believe this is a closed session. We were middle district Jax. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I'm in FL (Middle District Orange County) and my 341 was an open meeting. Lots of people came in and out during our meeting.
        "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

How do I find out when the 341 meetings are taken place so I can try to attend? Is there a schedule posted somewhere? I looked on my local FL court website http://www.flsb.uscourts.gov/ but could not find any type of schedule for Chp7 (only chp 13) that's when I spoke with the clerk and she told me it was a closed meeting.

Thanks for all the replies so far...
          Filed chp 7 pro se 1/9/12 341 meeting 2/14/12 Pass/Fail Means Test 2/28/12 Last day for Trustee or Creditor to object to my claims of personal property 3/14/12 Deadline for creditors to file AP 4/14/12

Comment

The Clerk is correct on one point only. The Judge and the Judiciary are not allowed to attend the meeting (period). It cannot be held before a judge (period).

It is in fact an open meeting for anyone but the Judge and the Clerk's office.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks JB, so how do I find out when these 341 meetings are going on?

Comment

Mine was downtown, Orlando in I think the Suntrust or Fairwinds building.
                "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

i'm also in the middle district and it was "open" anyone can walk in and listen. i would just go and sit in
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by hkdaisy View Post
                    Thanks JB, so how do I find out when these 341 meetings are going on?
                    I don't know since this is run the the Trustees. You might somehow figure out your Trustee's 341 Meeting schedule. It may be on their website?
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I'm in Palm Beach county, I figured out where the 341 meeting was but could not get the trustee's schedule. I looked on my local FL court website http://www.flsb.uscourts.gov/ but could not find any type of schedule for Chp7 (only chp 13).
                      Tobee43, filed, Hub, & freedy03, how did you find the trustee's schedule to know when you can sit in on the 341 meeting?

Comment

i know that in our case, it's listed outside the hearing rooms. it's not on line that i know of.

one really could just show up at 9 am and go into one of the rooms. i saw people even sitting in when i had mine.
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

They are usually held on the same days at the same time. For example, your District may hold them Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9AM - 5PM. I personally don't know of any that actually post the hearing schedule online.

(FYI, the Court should not have the 341 Schedule on its website since the 341 Meeting is run by the Trustees. The Court is specifically precluded from attending or presiding over any 341 Meeting or having one held in any courtroom.)

Comment

Thank you very much for the help everyone! Will keep you posted...

Comment

good luck!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X