Non-Consumer filing, possible test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Consumer filing, possible test

We may see a possible test of the amount of disposable income a person can have and file a non-consumer chapter 7. In Denver, a local celebrity, Tom Martino, filed a non-consumer chapter 7 (mostly failed real estate developments) and shows $90,000 PER MONTH of DMI on schedule I & J, and just over $75 million in unsecured debt.

Just wondering if there is some amount of DMI that will eventually make the court choke on the non-consumer exception.

I see your point and I believe there was a case that came up on this forum a few months back where the non-consumer filer was thrown out of bk because he lived a luxurious lifestyle and refused to change his ways. Court used 707(a) "for cause". In the case you discuss, $90k/month would give a 7.2% return over 5 years. Kind of a pittance considering the amount of debt. Will be interesting to see what happens. My guess is nothing. However, I would not be surprised if he faces some 523 matters as fallout from the failed real estate investments.

Des.

Comment

This is going to be interesting. Like des however, I don't think anything in the law will change.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
        This is going to be interesting. Like des however, I don't think anything in the law will change.
        I don't think so either, if the court dismisses the case, it will come up with other reasons like a 707(a) argument and not touch the consumer/non-consumer issue.

Comment

interesting i think, what are you going to do next?

Comment

Originally posted by maymay View Post
            interesting i think, what are you going to do next?
            See you banned for spamming the forum?
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X