No announcement yet.

Is Bankruptcy The Answer? ... Maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shipo - I would normally ask if you had found a four leaf clover, or got the larger half of a turkey wishbone… LOL! But seriously I think everything happening for you and your wife is fantastic. After the disruption in life due to the BK, things are turning around wonderfully for you, and I couldn’t be happier. Now you can focus on relaxing and preparing for your new job as opposed to moving. Let the countdown do your new job begin😊
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Thanks sophieanne, once I start the new job things will be a bit more relaxed, however, between now and then it will be "Mach-Two with my hair on fire!"

That project I mentioned a number of posts ago where my boss and I were supposed to fail is in a rather new field or discipline; I've been called out as a "single man dependency" for at least the last 18 months and have attempted to train up a number of proteges, however, for one reason or another, mostly money, once they get trained up, they head for greener pastures. Said another way, I am the lone engineer/architect who fully understands this technology in the company and we have a lot of very business critical projects slated for rollout over the next six to nine months, including two in May.

Long story short, between now and 07-May, I can expect an onslaught of phone calls from very senior management to try and coax me into staying, while at the same time, trying to train someone up well enough to lead the effort. Ugh!

I drop the bomb at 3:15 this afternoon (the earliest meeting I could get with my boss); that is when things will get interesting.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

@shipo...so the plot thickens! This chapter may not be over yet. Good luck!
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Ten day update...

First the farm; we met with the family last Saturday and clearly they were conflicted about what to do with us. On one hand, the rent we've been paying since 2013 for the apartment here on the farm is now roughly a third, or less, of current market value; needless to say, a "slight increase in our rent" was out of the question for those family members looking at valuations. On the other hand, we live amongst the 7 grand children ranging in ages from 2 to 17, many of whom do not remember before we moved here; we are effectively trusted family members, and there definitely appeared to have been some infighting regarding our fate. We made it easy on them, I proposed a new rent which is nearly 90% higher than what we've been paying with barn work, and 33% higher than what our (long expired 2013) lease spells out without barn work. They looked at us and all six breathed a collective sigh of relief, crisis averted; we're staying. Yeah, our rent is going up a lot, but we'll still be paying "under market", and easily half of what we'd need to pay if we moved, assuming we could even find a place in this crazy market.

Now the job situations; I tendered my resignation last Tuesday and it was met with stunned silence by my manager. She finally snapped out of it and asked for details on the new gig, details which made it immediately obvious my current company had roughly a zero percent chance of keeping me. Don't get me wrong, I've been with this company off and on for over 12 years and have nothing but fond memories, but the new job is that much better. We immediately set to the task of planning my final 13 days so as to prep my coworkers with the necessary knowledge to keep my projects moving forward. I *think* they'll be ready, but if push comes to shove, I'm only a phone call away and have promised to help out in any way I can.

Not much to report on the new job, errr, except one of the interesting forms I had to fill out in my onboarding paperwork was an application for an American Express Corporate charge card; I didn't even know AMEX had such a thing so I looked it up. If things pan out the way they look at the moment, I'll be getting a shiny new AMEX Platinum "Corporate" card, and while this may not mean much to some, it's a big deal to me. Why? Back when I filed for my Chapter 13 in 2015, one of the things I lost was my personal AMEX Platinum card, and with it all of the airport lounge privileges provided by that card. Between spring of 2019 and the COVID-19 thing, I visited airports around the country 34 times, and that number looks to easily double in the same span of time with this new job; given I'll be blacklisted for a personal AMEX, most likely for years to come yet, I was looking at the prospect of paying nearly $1,000 per year to buy memberships to Priority Pass and the Delta Sky Clubs; both if which are part and parcel of the AMEX Platinum cards.
          Latent car nut.

Comment

for me a bk is best. i'll never climb out of the debt trap thanks covid.

Comment

The pandemic resembles the times of the Great Depression in terms of the scale of its consequences. Sometimes I still can't believe how much our life has changed in just two years. Many of my friends have gone bankrupt. They had to sell assets to pay off all debts. Some took advantage of loans, factoring companies' services XXXXXX and they managed to survive. But statistics show that the level of enterprise income and GDP is falling. It is unclear how everything will come back to normal. Perhaps we will adapt to the "online mode" or the pandemic will end.
              Last edited by justbroke; 11-24-2021, 10:33 AM. Reason: [moderator removed link to external site]

Comment

Originally posted by Bablosik View Post
                The pandemic resembles the times of the Great Depression in terms of the scale of its consequences. Sometimes I still can't believe how much our life has changed in just two years. Many of my friends have gone bankrupt. They had to sell assets to pay off all debts. Some took advantage of loans, factoring companies' services XXXXXX and they managed to survive. But statistics show that the level of enterprise income and GDP is falling. It is unclear how everything will come back to normal. Perhaps we will adapt to the "online mode" or the pandemic will end.
                bankruptcies are gonna get worse. i hope the coronapocalypse ends soon.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X