Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Developments on Federal Unemployment Extensions

12/15/10

The U.S. Senate has approved a sweeping tax package that includes a reauthorization of federal unemployment extension benefits. The legislation now moves to the U.S House of Representatives for consideration and vote. In anticipation of eventual approval, the Employment Development Department (EDD) is taking steps to ensure we are ready to file and pay extended benefits to eligible claimants once legislation is enacted. This will help minimize any disruption in extended benefit payments to impacted customers throughout this holiday season.

The EDD is now filing the next extension claim for approximately 23,000 customers who have run out of their current level of unemployment benefits and are prevented from moving into any further extension claim because of current filing deadlines. This will allow EDD to send affected customers a continued claim form that can be completed and returned to EDD as they normally would, enabling the department to issue payments just as soon as legislation is enacted.

The number of impacted customers is relatively low for now because we are still within the two week timeframe between when most of these customers last received a benefit check and are potentially due the next one. In addition, all other claimants, except for those on the separate FED-ED extension, are allowed to continue collecting the remainder of their current claim benefits as long as they remain eligible. They are just unable to move into any further extension claim until there’s further Congressional action.
    Timing of Potential Congressional Action

As long as Congress acts this week, these estimated 23,000 customers who would normally be filling out their claim form for this week, and submitting it on Sunday, December 19th or later, should expect a check next week as long as they continue meeting eligibility requirements. If Congress doesn’t act on authorizing the benefit extension until the following week chances are checks would not be received until at least the week of December 27th. It takes a few days for EDD to authorize the payment and then the U.S. Postal Service to deliver it.

If Congress adjourns and doesn’t address the federal extension issue, then EDD will not be able to pay benefits on those 23,000 claim forms issued in anticipation of Congressional action for any weeks of unemployment after December 11, 2010. That number will continue to increase every day as more and more customers come up on the end of their current level of unemployment claim and are prevented from moving into any further extension benefits they may have otherwise been eligible to receive.

In addition, EDD will have to notify approximately 235,000 other claimants that we are unable to pay any further FED-ED extension benefits. These individuals have a payable balance remaining on the separate extension program known as the FED-ED here in California that has provided up to 20 additional weeks of benefits. Without any further Congressional action, the last payable week of benefits on a FED-ED claim is the week ending December 11, 2010. That’s even if someone remains unemployed and has a balance remaining on their FED-ED claim.
    Important Note

The current reported agreement to be considered by Congress does not contain any additional weeks of extended benefits, so the maximum total remains up to 99 weeks of benefits. As of December 13, 2010, there have been more than 264,000 unemployed workers in California who have run out of all available benefits, up to the 99 week maximum.

The EDD will be closely monitoring developments in an effort to keep our customers apprised of the situation. Watch for updates on our Web site and on our EDD Twitter and Facebook pages. In the event legislation is enacted to extend the filing deadlines, EDD will notify eligible customers. There is no need to contact the department at this time. In the meantime, here is some information about federal extensions and how the upcoming deadlines impact our UI customers.

For more than two years, an unprecedented offering of federal unemployment extension benefits has provided additional financial support to unemployed workers hit hard in this long, harsh recession. In addition to the up to 26 weeks of regular UI benefits offered any time an eligible worker becomes unemployed, up to 73 weeks of additional benefits have been available through four different tiers of extension benefits and a separate extension of benefits known as the FED-ED extension. All together, up to 99 weeks of unemployment benefits have been available to help support unemployed workers, their families, and their communities.

Here is a breakdown of the current filing deadlines associated with federal extension benefits:

CURRENT UI EXTENDED BENEFIT DURATION & CLAIM DEADLINES

UI Benefits Provided During This Recession UI Claims
    Maximum Weeks of Benefits Provided
    Deadline for Starting This Type of UI Claim
    Regular UI Claim Up to 26 weeks of benefits. Once someone becomes unemployed:

1st Tier of Federal Extension Up to 20 weeks of benefits November 21, 2010
    2nd Tier of Federal Extension Up to 14 weeks of benefits November 28, 2010
    3rd Tier of Federal Extension Up to 13 weeks of benefits November 28, 2010
    4th Tier of Federal Extension Up to 6 weeks of benefits November 28, 2010
    Separate FED-ED Extension Up to 20 weeks of benefits December 5, 2010*
    POTENTIAL TOTAL MAXIMUM BENEFITS Up to 99 weeks of benefits

* Unless Congress takes further action, the last date a FED-ED extension can be filed is December 5, 2010. That means that the week ending December 11, 2010, will be the last payable week of FED-ED benefits.
    IMPACTS ON UNEMPLOYED WORKERS CURRENTLY RECEIVING UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

* If you are currently collecting on a regular UI claim that provides up to 26 weeks of benefits, and you run out of those benefits anytime after the week ending November 20, 2010, you will not be eligible for a first tier of federal extension benefits or any other extension benefits unless Congress takes further action.
    * If you are currently collecting on a first, second, or third tier of federal extension benefits and you run out of those benefits anytime after the week ending November 27, 2010, you will not be eligible to move into the next tier of extension benefits unless Congress takes further action.
    * If you are currently collecting on a fourth tier of federal extension benefits and you run out of those benefits anytime after the week ending December 4, 2010, you will not be eligible to move into the separate FED-ED extension of benefits unless Congress takes further action.
    * If you are currently collecting on the separate FED-ED extension of benefits, your unemployment benefits will cease after December 5, 2010 with the end of 100% federal financing. Original rules governing FED-ED will once again be in place and California does not currently qualify for the FED-ED extension program under those rules. Unless Congress takes further action, the week of December 5 through December 11, 2010 becomes the last payable week of FED-ED benefits, regardless of whether you remain unemployed and still have a remaining balance on your FED-ED claim.

Unemployed individuals may be eligible for assistance to meet basic needs as well as other services such as health care, counseling, employment and training assistance. For more information, read the Assistance for Unemployed California Residents flyer and the Job Dislocation Brochure: English | Spanish.
    Impact on Federal Stimulus Payments

If you are a claimant who qualified for the $25 stimulus payments, current federal law states the last week these stimulus payments can be made is the week ending December 11, 2010. Claimants who filed a new regular UI claim effective May 30, 2010 or after do not qualify for the $25 stimulus payments.

Provides an overview of the California Unemployment Insurance Program, which provides workers, who lose their jobs through no fault of their own, with weekly unemployment insurance payments

ok....would or could we think since this is coming right from the feds it could be correct???
    Last edited by Flamingo; 12-17-2010, 07:25 PM.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

If you are currently collecting on the separate FED-ED extension of benefits, your unemployment benefits will cease after December 5, 2010 with the end of 100% federal financing. Original rules governing FED-ED will once again be in place and California does not currently qualify for the FED-ED extension program under those rules. Unless Congress takes further action, the week of December 5 through December 11, 2010 becomes the last payable week of FED-ED benefits, regardless of whether you remain unemployed and still have a remaining balance on your FED-ED claim.
    I thought I was covered for 4 more months with this extension as it shows I have a balance taking me into the middle of April. So now I am confused. Does this mean I get cut off now even though it shows I have a balance through April? Are they addressing this right now???

I am now confused and worried again. Do I just cut off Christmas and use the Christmas lights to hang myself???

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
      I thought I was covered for 4 more months with this extension as it shows I have a balance taking me into the middle of April. So now I am confused. Does this mean I get cut off now even though it shows I have a balance through April? Are they addressing this right now???

I am now confused and worried again. Do I just cut off Christmas and use the Christmas lights to hang myself???
      You are responding to what would happen if NO tax/UE bill was passed and signed this year. Tobee's post is obsolete, 2 days old, with information on what the "current status" was 2 days ago, before any bill was voted on by the House and signed by the President.

Here is the updated (as of 4pm today) post from the CA EDD:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/F...Extensions.htm

It is as clear as it can possibly be. Tier 1 thru Tier 4 deadline dates for application have been extended by 13 months. The maximum UE benefits you can receive is 99 weeks in CA - there is no Tier 5 of course. You cannot extend beyond 99 weeks without a Tier 5 law.

No impact for customers who have run out of maximum benefits

The federal legislation enacted on December 17, 2010, does not include any additional weeks of extended benefits, so the maximum total remains up to 99 weeks of benefits. As of December 13, 2010, there have been more than 264,000 unemployed workers in California who have run out of all available benefits, up to the 99 week maximum.
      Last edited by WhatMoney; 12-17-2010, 06:13 PM.
      “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
        You are responding to what would happen if NO tax/UE bill was passed and signed this year. Tobee's post is obsolete, 2 days old, with information on what the "current status" was 2 days ago, before any bill was voted on by the House and signed by the President.

It is as clear as it can possibly be. Tier 1 thru Tier 4 deadline dates for application have been extended by 13 months. The maximum UE benefits you can receive is 99 weeks in CA - there is no Tier 5 of course. You cannot extend beyond 99 weeks without a Tier 5 law.
        whatmoney, it is weird, but I was one of those tier 4's that ran out and somehow got another 5 month extension with some federal emergency deal. So this post scared me. Thankfully I am still safe until mid-april, which should give me enough time to hopefully find a job. This congress and all the back and forth is really doing wonders for my high blood pressure!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post

what was going with the status on that bill ran a course of obsolescence hourly....if you noted the thread * indicated that if and when the bill was signed, however, most accurate info it's moment in time.

helpme's situation is an example of the clear or shear disunderstanding that everyone has.......no 99er's....yet at the 4th tier rec'd an extension.

we shall see...at least most of us still on unemployment exactly what this bill does or does not do as time goes by.

frankly, we are just glad to pay the rent, food and gas at this point.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

tobee, you are correct, I was very confused. They have so many strange rules and they seem to change or allow certain additions, so it did confuse me as well. Now I understand where we are. I just wish they would bargain a tier 5 into the legislation (which should have been part of Obama's bargaining with the new tax extension compromise - why the hell he didn't add a tier 5 for 13 months just blows my mind).

Comment

personally, i think this bill was just to get people off the congress and president for the moment.

as the numbers of unemployed reach their 99 week max, the issue will be dealt with most likely after the first of the year...of course when all the new seats are taken......it will be interesting.

Comment

tobee, take a quick look in the chapter 7 section...

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                  tobee, take a quick look in the chapter 7 section...
                  QQing now

edit....can't find it...copy and paste the thread???? i couldn't find anything new??

hehehehe...i found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Last edited by tobee43; 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X