Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To have a successful yard/garage sale, what must you do?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To have a successful yard/garage sale, what must you do?

I want to have a very good garage sale so I can make some extra money. What should I sell and how should I go in doing so? And if I have extra things I dont need, should I sell them to a shop that would buy them, sell them in a garage sale, or on craigslist/ebay?

A garage sale is where you sell stuff that you just want gone, and are not concerned about how much you'll get for them. Examples of this would be old home furniture and d├ęcor items, old appliances, dishes, non-designer clothing, non-collectible books, CDs, DVDs, etc.

Craigslist is where you sell stuff that is desirable enough to merit a price which justifies the effort of answering phone calls and meeting someone to complete the sale, but could not be profitably sold on Ebay (due to fees and shipping costs). Examples of this would be used electronics, computers, small appliances, tools and business equipment, textbooks, CDs, DVDs, etc. You generally get 30%-50% of the Ebay value selling an item on Craigslist, but there are no fees, no shipping costs, and you're paid in cash.

Ebay is really only useful to sell collectibles, or other items which you have carefully researched, and determined that the Ebay selling price will be high enough to cover your selling expenses to justify the effort compared to what you'd get at a yard sale, or on Craigslist. These selling expenses include Ebay fees, Paypal fees, packaging materials, and postage/shipping costs. As you can see, your costs--which come out of the price of the item--go up the more the item sells for, or the more it costs to pack and ship. For each individual item that you are considering selling on Ebay, it is necessary to peruse completed listings--for that exact same item in the exact same condition--and see if the typical selling price is sufficient. If so, then sell it at a "Buy It Now" for an amount which covers your costs, as well as whatever you want to net for the item. If not, then sell it at your yard sale, or on Craigslist.

I would not sell ANYTHING to a "shop that would buy them" because you'll receive pennies on the dollar compared to what you could sell them for. Remember, the "shop" has to pay several thousand dollars a month in rent, utilities, and insurance, and that's just the cost to have their building. Factor in wages, advertising, etc, and you can see that adds up to tens of thousands of dollars a month in overhead, which has to come from the "spread" between the pittance they'll pay to you, and the retail price charged to the consumer. Sell the item yourself, and put that money in your pocket.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by bcohen; 09-16-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X