Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLBK7
    replied
    My local Hispanic supermarket is again having skinless and boneless chicken breasts for $.99/lb. (yes, that's 99 cents -- no typo!) beginning this Thursday. I'm stocking up as I normally do. I still have 2 packs left from their last 99-cent sale. In my condo-sized deep freezer, which is the best money-saving investment I ever made.

The chicken is as fresh, clean and tasty as what you buy at the regular/expensive supermarket here (Publix). The only difference is that the breasts are not always cut as neatly or as symmetrically. This is not a problem for me because I don't mind trimming and/or thinning the breasts just before cooking, and I use the odds and ends for chicken salad or stir fry.

Leave a comment:

• relief13035
    replied
    My meat tip:

At my grocery store they will often have round steak or chuck roast on sale for a really good price. I have the butcher grind it (my store doesn't charge) and then have them package in 1 to 1.5 lb. packages. Ground beef might be $2.99, but round steak on-sale for $1.99. Save the $1.00 per pound. Tacos taste so much better with ground round steak instead of plain ole hamburger meat.

Leave a comment:

• Genenco
    replied
    I remember the Aldi's in Iowa and the one I saw in MO was in Wst Plains, but here in WA they're not around. But I watch things, strange, I like creamer in my coffee, two weeks ago, got 3 jugs for $2.51 ea. Today I hit same store and it's $3.28 Ouch, got 2 instead.

2 weeks ago got $91.84 in groceries. Sis gave $50 grocery card. I looked at the back of it and it says (I was REALLY surprised at this) that tobacco and liquor purchases CANNOT be used on the card.

FAR OUT I always wondered if I ever gave one of those cards, would the receipent follow the promise to not drink or such? Now I know that unless THEY have cash, they cannot use the card for such.

I bought some things which was good and of course, my not desperate need but heavily desired long hobos for $3.48 ea. Phooey on Subway! Always peanut butter and have bought my second bag of rice (20 lbs) for $14.45 which is about the same when I bought it 3 months ago..Yeah, I like rice too!

Using that extra virgin olive oil is spendy, but use little so it works out. I'm looking at meat more this next weekend and mix with rice and maybe some soy/barbque sauce for flavoring.

Regarding "End Caps" I saw those double salt or salt and pepper shakers packaged..$1.29 ea..Walked down and got big container of Mortons for $0.89...I just use small jar and take to work for salting food if needed.

Leave a comment:

• On The Brink
    replied
    We watch the meat sales at the local grocery stores and then buy every thing else at savalot or aldis (can goods etc.etc). Also I resist any impulse buys, if it's not on the list I dont buy it! Some say i'm cheap but i'm sure theres worse things to be lol

Leave a comment:

• rickisbroke
    replied
    I have noticed increases in things I only buy every month or two. The stylin' Suave hair gel I use was $1.99 and went up to $2.27 at the same store. I buy Purina One for my dog, and a 20lb bag was around $15 and the last time I bought it, it was just over $18, on sale for $17.99.
    We have Meijer here and you can't beat their sale prices and still get quality, name brand items. We have Aldi and Save-A-Lot, too, but if I'm careful, I can get the same or better deals at Meijer. For example, my roommate got a pound of low grade mystery burger from Save-A-Lot for $2.99 and the same week I got a pound of Angus ground chuck for $2.99.
    I buy very little that isn't on sale or I don't have a coupon for, by the way. My biggest vice....beer...but I still try to buy it on sale.
    I use the dollar store for kitchen trash bags, toilet cleaner, etc, and even found Speed Stick, Softsoap hand soap, and some decent body wash there. I love the dollar store...just not so sure about their food.

Leave a comment:

• cynbkrpt
    replied
    I have to admit I used to just pick things up and run to the register without really thinking about prices. Last night, I was buying laundry detergent and when I saw $21.00 for a bottle of Tide at Wal-Mart...I almost passed out! We spend about 200 per week and that's just eating..nothing great, very little organic, basic meat like chicken and stew beef.

On a brighter note, I have become more creative with my meals. I guess there's a reason my grandmother always seemed to know how to make a little last a long while.

Leave a comment:

• Hobbles
    replied
    .99 cent stores are also great for things like ziplock bags, household cleaning supplies and soap and shampoo if you're not too picky about those things. I always get mine there now.

Another source of inexpensive food is the SHARE food organization. You'll have to do an internet search for your area. They're national, but each local branch has their own website/contact info. It's like a grocery co-op, where you trade a promise to do volunteer work for your community, family and friends in exchange for buying food boxes at up to 50% off retail.

Boxes include staples like meats, eggs, cheese, potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, other vegetables, fruits and more. Our share even offers an organic veggie box which is far less expensive than the local organic programs. I'd completely given up organics and now I'm able to get some on occasion again.

There are no income requirements to participate, the food is decent, sometimes local grown, and its kinda fun opening up your boxes and seeing whats inside, since they're always a surprise or two not on the listing when you order.

Leave a comment:

• ready2puke
    replied
    .99 cent stores are in Ca. Az, Nevada, and Texas so those of you that live in those states check it out...you'll be amazed. A really big honeydew for less than a buck? Pleeezeeee!!!

Leave a comment:

• TEW
    replied
    Originally posted by Tbornetun View Post
    Has anyone been to Aldi??? I save a ton of money by shopping there for just my bread, milk, and eggs.

Local grocery store gallon of milk: $3.79
    Aldi Milk: $2.49
    Local grocery store cheap store brand bread: $1.79
    Aldi white bread: $.79
    Local grocery store 12 grain bread: $3.79
    Aldi 12 grain: $1.59
    Local grocery store dozen eggs: $1.99
    Aldi dozen eggs: $.99

These are the items we go through the most of in a month. My family goes through at least one loaf of bread a day and 3-4 gallons of milk per week.

It really adds up fast.

Leave a comment:

• Tbornetun
    replied
    Sorry, maybe you will soon. A year ago we only had 3 in the whole state of Minnesota, now there is 23.

Everyone else,
    Their website is www.aldifoods.com click on their store locator and choose your state. It would be worth checking out. Our grocery bill has dropped dramatically.

Leave a comment:

• ready2puke
    replied
    We dont have any of those in So. Ca. bummer

Leave a comment:

• Tbornetun
    replied
    Has anyone been to Aldi??? I save a ton of money by shopping there for just my bread, milk, and eggs.

Local grocery store gallon of milk: $3.79
    Aldi Milk: $2.49
    Local grocery store cheap store brand bread: $1.79
    Aldi white bread: $.79
    Local grocery store 12 grain bread: $3.79
    Aldi 12 grain: $1.59
    Local grocery store dozen eggs: $1.99
    Aldi dozen eggs: $.99

These are the items we go through the most of in a month. My family goes through at least one loaf of bread a day and 3-4 gallons of milk per week.

It really adds up fast.

Leave a comment:

• ready2puke
    replied
    I have a new find for groceries. 99cent store that sells food. Unbelievable good deals. Everything is 99cents. I bought a cantalope, a honeydew mellon, a big bag of schredded carrots (usually a small bag is 2.49). a can of carpet cleaner, big calliflower, all for .99 each. They have everything there nothing over .99. I dont know if there in other parts of the US but if you can find one..I suggust you check it out..Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• robivi3
    replied
    Found the comissary at parris Island about 1/3 cheaper than my local store, got a few things, not much. Very nice store though.

Leave a comment:

• Cali
    replied
    My total grocery bill is 1k for a family of 4.

Leave a comment:

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X