Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
    Meet the Dugger Family.
    I think they have 17 kids now. I have enormous respect for that family & the values they teach their kids.
    The house is awesome & the family is too. Kind of like a modern Waltons.

I think she pops one out about every 10 months! so they can stop any time & get over the blessing of the lord for awhile...talk about fertile lower parts of the earth- good grief.

I like the Duggar specials

You might also use the Gosselins as an example:

They have a show called Jon & Kate + 8 on TLC on Monday evenings.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
      I like the Duggar specials

You might also use the Gosselins as an example:

They have a show called Jon & Kate + 8 on TLC on Monday evenings.
      oooh...another one. another good one. I am pleased to see that & enjoyed reading how they got started. Interesting

Comment

The Duggar's - what a role model for the world. Let's all have 18 kids and end the world from overpopulation in 100 years. Now if they wanted to adopt 18 orphan children from the world's supply of several million, I might have some respect for this family...

May 2008. Good lord, the woman's pregnant again with No. 18. She is currently 6 weeks pregnant and the youngest is only 9 month's old. She's 41 years old. She'll have to stop breeding soon. The oldest ones must be praying for menopause.
        http://hubpages.com/hub/The_Duggar_F...reepist_Family

“When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

An interesting quote from the comment section of the prior URL:

Here's the real story on the Duggar "family". I did a lot of reseach on these people after I saw the discovery channel show on them because something just didn't sit quite right with me about them. And the number of kids they have is not the reason. After doing a lot of digging around on the net and after talking to some friends of mine in Arkansas, I found out some interesting tidbits about the Duggars. I found out that the Duggars are ultra conservative Pentecostals. If anyone knows about Pentecostals, you will understand why the women don't EVER cut their hair and why the girls are always clad in long skirts (NEVER, EVER PANTS). While people are free to practice their own religious beliefs, I do not appreciate the fact that Jim Bob Duggar has attempted to run for political office (and actually won a few minor elections) on the basis of his religious beliefs. He and Rick Santorum (ex-Congressman from Pennsylvania) had planned to introduce a bill into Congress that would outlaw ALL contraceptive use in this country, including for married couples. (I worked as a congressional staffer in DC and got this from a reputable REPUBLICAN source.) Now if Mrs. Duggar wants to be a baby factory, that is certainly her business to do so, but I have to draw the line when the Duggars try to tell me that my wife must also be one as well.

As far as living "debt free", well, that's pretty simple to do if someone else is picking up the tab. Anybody who saw the show where the Duggars built their house will know that people "volunteered" time and materials to assist. It's also no secret that the entire house was furnished by various sources, not one being the Duggars' own bank account. Again, I do agree that people should be free to donate goods and services to whomever they choose. However, don't be naive. You know somebody is paying for that and it's going to be you and me..paying customers who may end up having to finance that very same goods or services. Also, in the event that the Duggars have Health Insurance, how much more are your premiums for your family of four because the insurance company has to underwrite coverage for a family of 19? Think about it.

Somebody argued that the Duggars are not on the "public dole". How do you know that? I mentioned health insurance above but for all we know, they don't have any. That means everytime Mrs. Duggar pops out another baby, your tax dollars are paying for that baby via Medicaid, WIC, and possibly ARChip (the Federal Health insurance plan for kids).

Going back to the Duggars' religious beliefs, did you know that the Duggars have declared their HOME a church? Thus securing tax exempt status for it? That's right, they don't pay any property tax OR sales tax if they are buying something for their home. Wouldn't that be nice if the rest of us could do that? So, since they aren't paying any taxes, guess who is? Wow..you guessed right...you and me. As I stated earlier, it's not hard to live debt free when somebody else is footing your bill.

Yes, I think the Duggars are creepy. I also think that I'm paying for these people to do what they believe God has "commanded" them to do. And quite honestly, I'm tired of paying for them.
          “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I know the Gossalins aren't on welfare but I'm sure they get some money for the TLC show beyond Jon's salary as an IT tech. They also have many friends and neighbors that help and I think that's good.

At the same time WhatMoney I guess you should know that I believe all federally funded welfare programs are unconstitutional. They are usurped authority not enumerated to the federal government in the U. S. Constitution and thus are rights of the states not the Federal Government.

Nothing wrong with friends and neighbors donating assistance in form of time or material so long as they can afford it. Basically goes back to the old days of a barn raising. That's when your neighbor needs a barn so everyone donates a few days and puts one up quick as they can. (Actually you can raise a barn in a day if you have enough folks and material is plenty).
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
              The Duggar's - what a role model for the world. Let's all have 18 kids and end the world from overpopulation in 100 years. Now if they wanted to adopt 18 orphan children from the world's supply of several million, I might have some respect for this family...

It is not just about the amount of kids & they do not have to open an orphanage for 18 kids to get my respect. That is like saying only certain people are allowed to have their own children & all others have to adopt. That is creepy.

I dont view them as creepy at all. I see their religion as creepy but the family itself is not. If someone wants that many kids they have just as much right to it as someone who wants none & no, they do not have to adopt 18 children to gain respect, as that is something people do under totally different circumstances, unless they choose to adopt a child.

It was very common not that long ago for american familes to have 10 or 12 children & they love each other, so what is 5 more.

Comment

An interesting quote from the comment section of the prior URL:
                just a couple of comments on that article.
                if someone is going to jump all over a family for not having health insurance, then you are going to have jump all over every family that has no health insurance & they too should not be allowed to have any kids.

That is someone nit picking.

I grew up with several large families of 9, 10 & 13 & the family of 13 kids also did not have health insurance while the family of 10 lost their health insurance when the factories left after the 5th kid but that does not mean you have to stop having kids.

I would agree that they are obsessed with something that stems from their religion & they dont need any more, but if they want another one, so what.

So what are the rules that you/the article thinks everyone should abide by when having their kids?
                & should all familes without insurance not be allowed to have kids?

My mother was adopted & being adopted is not any easy thing for people to go through & she still suffers from that as she never felt completely wanted by anyone.

and good grief! what is so wrong with neighbors & friends donating to a family for building materials for their home & bringing them food & clothes or whatever. People donate like that all the time & families help others build their homes all the time. In fact there is a TV program that actually renovates peoples homes for FREE to help families.

At least the parents are not all strung out on drugs, while the kids suffer the american way, which is more common than having a large family- that is one good thing

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post

Nothing wrong with friends and neighbors donating assistance in form of time or material so long as they can afford it. Basically goes back to the old days of a barn raising. That's when your neighbor needs a barn so everyone donates a few days and puts one up quick as they can. (Actually you can raise a barn in a day if you have enough folks and material is plenty).
                  I can think of many times when I was growing up that we shared & helped as a family with others i.e. with new clothes & food & just helping when work needed to be done at someones farm.

One family brought us 5 gallons of fresh warm milk every sunday morning straight from their cows (oh was it good too) & mom sewed for them in return

Waltons & Little House are classic examples of when you could turn to your neighbor in hard times & in good times.

Comment

Just as we treat bankruptcy as a business decision, do some people treat having children as a business decision? Would these people be in the limelight unless they had a lot of children? Hardly. So they keep having them and the freebies roll in from corporate sponsors and get the public attention for being so unusual in today's world; we wonder how they afford it, where does the money come from for them to be able to have a child every year, are they nuts, etc., etc.. If they were responsible parents and wanted to raise their family as they wanted, they would have turned the press away from the way they live and want to have children. So it is all tossed at us as there are those that can continue to have children and those that struggle just to consider having one.

My first two children were born while my first husband (now deceased) was in the Army. I remarried a man with one son from a former marriage (she left him for another man) and we wanted to have our own child and all our Brady Bunch children wanted a new brother or sister so with that agreement in mind, and both of us working and the finances in great shape at that time, had a child which created yours, mine and ours. It was the cement that tied the stepchildren together who are all still very close to this day and they are off and married with children of their own. Our BK situation was not the result of our family size; it came as the tech bush of the early 2000's. But we did have a lot of debt at that time from helping put kids through college, wedding bills, etc., etc. It costs a fortune to raise a child from birth to 18. The Duggar's now have the outside press and attention to be able to afford all their children and continue to have more to stay in the limelight on all the weekly scandal newspapers.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

there is NO rule that says you can only have so many kids.

so which kids should be destroyed?

if you have two children, then which one of yours is one too many?

If you wanted to go after someone then get them for something that they actually did wrong & not for having children.

for example, they need to make room for the oldest ones because they are getting jipped out out of their teenage years having to care for their little brothers & sisters & their parents need to get a clue.
                      Why dont they get their own bedrooms? HA!

Comment

We have 2 teenagers, son is almost 16 and daughter is almost 17. My hubby is military, so we get most of medical and dental covered that way. The later years of their lives we had 2 incomes, and my income was more than hubby's and his is pretty up there because of his rank. And I still think raising children is expensive.

Originally posted by my4devils View Post
                        The term "affording children" is thrown around quite a bit and I wonder what does that actually mean? Is it that you take care of them on your own? without government aid? parental aid? etc.... Honestly, I am just curious as to where the parameters lie. Is is the welfare moms having more kids to get more government support who cant afford them or a 2 parent household that both work crazy hours while their kids are in daycare that cant afford them? How about people putting basic neccessities on their credit cards so their kids can have food and medical care? Can they afford them?

For those of us that do have children: Do you think you would have had to file for BK if you never had any? or had one or two less?

If you really boil it down- there are probably only a few people who are financially qualified to reproduce. Very few individuals are secure enough in their 20's-30's to handle lifes blows as they come. Those of us here are well aware that financially stable can turn into financially unstable in the blink of an eye.
                        Last edited by Cali; 06-15-2008, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                          Just as we treat bankruptcy as a business decision, do some people treat having children as a business decision? Would these people be in the limelight unless they had a lot of children? Hardly. So they keep having them and the freebies roll in from corporate sponsors and get the public attention for being so unusual in today's world; we wonder how they afford it, where does the money come from for them to be able to have a child every year, are they nuts, etc., etc.. If they were responsible parents and wanted to raise their family as they wanted, they would have turned the press away from the way they live and want to have children. So it is all tossed at us as there are those that can continue to have children and those that struggle just to consider having one.

so if the duggers took on 17 kids through adoption or say welfare children that onlyu stay for a few years, then it would be ok? but they cant have their own.

& why should they turn the press away? they are proud of their kids & as a family. why should they turn the press away. because you say so? LOL! should everyone turn the press away? or just the ones you think should. should they stop rebuilding homes for people on extreme makeover because they are bad bad people too?

There are tons of people in the limelight & they did not need to have a bunch of kids to get there.

so if they turn the press away that makes them responsible?

what is so wrong with them being on discover channel & TLC? or should only certain people be allowed to make a little income from Peoples Magazine?

sorry, but you cannot blame them for having many no more than you can blame those that are not able.

if you really want to get them for something then get them for raising their kids to be like clones, not for having as many as they want.

I think there dad was a politician, that might give you somewhere to start if you want real dirt, Flamingo.

Comment

Ah, the Duggars, sparking controversy on forums all over the internet. I still am amazed her uterus hasnt fallen out! We do watch Jon and Kate regularly- we have seen them at our Target too. I like to get tips on how to run a large household- their kids are stickin cute too. The truth is that the public is quite fascinated with them so why not make a little money by having some cameras around every now and then. I'd do it!

When i lost my job while on maternity leave with my last child- I looked into getting WIC. I was told I could qualify if I was pregnant again. Have another child for some free food- dont think so! However, we did find out that our kids do qualify for CHIP and we are in the application process. The majority of our BK was due to an incredible amount of medical bills and CHIP will help alot with that in the future. It was difficult for me to decide to accept this help but unfortunately the health care crisis in this country didnt leave us much choice- but I guess that is a whole nother can o' worms.
                            Filed: 3/12/08
                            341 Meeting: 4/11/08
                            Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                              so if the duggers took on 17 kids through adoption or say welfare children that onlyu stay for a few years, then it would be ok? but they cant have their own.

& why should they turn the press away? they are proud of their kids & as a family. why should they turn the press away. because you say so? LOL! should everyone turn the press away? or just the ones you think should. should they stop rebuilding homes for people on extreme makeover because they are bad bad people too?

There are tons of people in the limelight & they did not need to have a bunch of kids to get there.

so if they turn the press away that makes them responsible?

what is so wrong with them being on discover channel & TLC? or should only certain people be allowed to make a little income from Peoples Magazine?

sorry, but you cannot blame them for having many no more than you can blame those that are not able.

if you really want to get them for something then get them for raising their kids to be like clones, not for having as many as they want.

I think there dad was a politician, that might give you somewhere to start if you want real dirt, Flamingo.

I brought a point up on here and made a comparison as to what some people may do as to their decisions as to having children and where in there did I state that people should not have children? Either naturally, via adoption, in vitro, step children, foster children, etc.? The large family being discussed on here wanted to have a lot of children, and that is their right; however, because they are now in the limelight due to their being different than 99.9% of the population they have been approached by the media, made public and now have the attention of the nation and you can bet all sorts of donations now that they never had, just because people feel sorry for them or want to help due to their large family and/or think they are an oddity that increase magazine sales. Then there are those that struggle every day and want to have that baby and either can't or afford to. And the larger family discussed on here continue to have children and you can bet they will continue to do it knowing now that they are newsworthy and have bucks coming in. Is that a business decision? If they stopped having children, the media would go away.

I did not start all the discussion about this family on here and its size - I made a point as to some people might view having children as a business decision in their lives because it could be more profitable for them to do so. Mom and Dad are now celebrities and have more money coming in due to their family size and its continual growth. Someone else brought up a similar point in several postings back.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post

Is that a business decision? If they stopped having children, the media would go away.
                                your issue seems to be with the media, not the family itself that or you think they just have kids to make more money. (?)

so what if the media goes away. who cares. if they take care of the kids & dont treat them like some puppy farm, then there is a REAL family there. if they can make a living thru the media, then by all means do so.

if there is some business adventure with those kids? like a puppy farm? that is how you make it sound.

which I really doubt, as both the mom & dad have several business adventures & would be better off financially without all those kids. They own quite a bit of property & could do a whole lot more than dealing with diapers 20 years straight. Maybe they actually enjoy & love their kids? media or no media.
                                so if the media goes away, then what? they throw their kids away? I dont think so.

however, because they are now in the limelight due to their being different than 99.9% of the population they have been approached by the media, made public and now have the attention of the nation and you can bet all sorts
                                They also have the small people in the media who are different. should they be cancelled just because they are small people? & because the media puts them in the limelight? are they having a business adventure pushing their smallness for extra money?

what about the cojoined twins who are in the media? should they stay out of the media so they dont get too much attention? or use the media to make a living?

That or I am not following your point, since you clarified it is not about their size, & yet it IS about there size in numbers because if they only had two kids then they would be a normal family & not different from 99.9% of the population.

where in there did I state that people should not have children?
                                I never said you said that. I asked you a bunch of other questions though but if you choose to see them as a puppy farm business adventure (yes?), then I guess that is all you will get out of it.

You know they make their own music right? should they not be allowed to sell their music because of why? the limelight?

here is another one in the media with 12 kids that would have no problem having 17 as well.
                                Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

so what

On the flip side of all that, Mr & Mrs Dugger needs to get a clue because all those kids are not coming just from his god. they are coming from Mr Dugger putting his noodle inside of Mama & it aint just to make a baby, because they first started out with her on the pill!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X