Has anyone else noticed, or am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else noticed, or am I crazy?

Maybe I'm over-analyzing the plummeting economy, but I've noticed a couple things lately.

I've seen less and less pregnant women around, at least where I live. I've seen fewer and fewer infants also.

A couple years ago, there seemed to be a bit of a minor baby boom. I knew of about 5-6 ladies who were pregnant all around the same time..and a lot of people who had just had a baby, and this was just in a small circle of friends and coworkers.

Are people holding off or deciding not to have children because of the economy? I know we absolutely cannot afford another child, and we only have one.

I know a lot of people have moral/religious views on childbearing. And I'm not talking about people having abortions. I am talking about people carefully and consiously practicing birth control more and more because they are in debt or fear going into debt.

Another thing I've noticed-- a lot of people are walking around sick (with illnesses like the flu or cough) that linger on for months. Sometimes in conversation they will say they can't afford to go the doctor, or get meds, or whatever, even if they have insurance it is too expensive.

Any one else observe this or am I just seeing things?
    Last edited by Footprints1973; 08-20-2008, 11:54 AM.

I can send you some from here, because I see way to many everyday.
    Last edited by Cali; 06-14-2008, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I was wondering about this too. The trend lately has been to have larger families. We have 4 children and I wonder if we had waited any longer if we would have had so many. We never based our decision to add another due to just money- as we would of never had any- but having a prospering economy didnt lead us to doubt our ability to provide for them in the future. Babies are cheap, teenagers are expensive.

Had the kids at Hershey Park today- lots of little ones but not alot of preggos. I always notice it too. Interesting.
      Filed: 3/12/08
      341 Meeting: 4/11/08
      Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

I've not really noticed a downturn in pregnancies, but then again I'm Mormon and in my circles most folks have large families.

As for health problems. The main problem is that companies today are far less forgiving on absences. Many make no distinction between a day you just blow off to go to the beach or when you are sick. As such most people cannot take the time off from work necessary to get well because of fear of losing their jobs. Thus even those with insurance are not always seeking care and even when sought do not always follow the advice of the physician. A National Health Care system will not change that part of the equation and indeed it could get much worse.

As a nation we have sadly drifted from caring about our neighbors, co workers, friends etc on a level that our grandparents generation did. It is the most dangerous rift in our nation and the cause of many of our problems. It is not something that is going to be fixed easily and not without pain.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Not entirely true though, it depends on culture, peer & family tradition pressures, & country origin. China has a long history of population booming even as a third country before.. very poor, farmers, homeless, debt, low wages, etc... but they still lay many eggs like crazy until a new "birth control" law went into effects (one child per family now)...

Now China is proud to be first nation with billions of people, followed by India, etc.

Comment

Whatever it is has not hit in my office cause there are at least 3 pregnant right now! Or maybe it's something in our water! :-) Anyway, I think it all depends on where you live and how close you are to cities, more rural, etc. I'm sure the economy has stopped people from doing a lot of things besides not eating out as much and less spending; that could go to curtailing family size and going to the doctor less (as the OP mentions less pregnancies and more sick people in her posting). Some people go to the Dr. at the sign of a first sniffle; those higher copayments or not wanting to take the time off work to go now could keep that person sniffling in the office or in public for days. Sometimes too we are just more noticable of things due to certain circumstances as this economy. Our paper had an article about a major NASCAR event in our area which is usually sold out and this year there were many empty seats - noticed due to the economy. Restaurants are closing right and left and when you do go out for dinner at the ones open, you are treated like royalty cause they want your business and want you to return.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I've never wanted a big family. I have 2 and that is a lot to me. Thank goodness I have a boy and a girl.

Comment

I work in an inner city hospital in Labor and Delivery and I can say for this area the babies are everwhere!! Now for myself, I'm 37 and have no children because I've never been in a place in my life where I've felt I can afford to have a baby. Call me selfish, whatever, but I do not feel people should have children they cannot afford. Now I'm on the edge of my childbearing years and feel that if I don't make a decision in the next 3-4 years I may just be out of luck.

I think it depends on the person and the circumstance. I do think that the lower the socioeconomic situation a person is in the less they base their decisions about having children on whether they can afford it. Thats how I see it.
                Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by CindyLou View Post
                  Now for myself, I'm 37 and have no children because I've never been in a place in my life where I've felt I can afford to have a baby. Call me selfish, whatever, but I do not feel people should have children they cannot afford.
                  I agree with you and I don't think you are selfish. I'm the same way, only I'm 44. It wasn't only money for us, though. We were just never sure we could put somebody else's needs ahead of our own 100% of the time and didn't want to have a kid that wouldn't get our full attention. We have God kids and nieces and nephews that we adore and spend lots of time with so we feel we have the best of both worlds.

Comment

My wife and myself were both married before. She has kids and I have one, and she is always talking about having another kid. Right now she thinks she is pregnant but I doubt it.
                    As for health insurance; we can't afford it. Mine comes with my social security disability and unfortunately, she doesn't have any. I have had so much terrible luck with doctors and hospitals that I don't think I will go to either one unless I am dying.
                    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

The term "affording children" is thrown around quite a bit and I wonder what does that actually mean? Is it that you take care of them on your own? without government aid? parental aid? etc.... Honestly, I am just curious as to where the parameters lie. Is is the welfare moms having more kids to get more government support who cant afford them or a 2 parent household that both work crazy hours while their kids are in daycare that cant afford them? How about people putting basic neccessities on their credit cards so their kids can have food and medical care? Can they afford them?

For those of us that do have children: Do you think you would have had to file for BK if you never had any? or had one or two less?

If you really boil it down- there are probably only a few people who are financially qualified to reproduce. Very few individuals are secure enough in their 20's-30's to handle lifes blows as they come. Those of us here are well aware that financially stable can turn into financially unstable in the blink of an eye.
                      Filed: 3/12/08
                      341 Meeting: 4/11/08
                      Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

For me affording children means I can afford to pay for their care without Government assistance and without charging up my credit cards to do it. That being said, these are my beliefs and I have never expected other people to have the same beliefs nor harshly judged those who don't. Financial issues were only part of the reason we chose not to have kids.

Along with not being sure we could devote 100% of our time to our kids, I have always been over weight and I wasn't sure I had the energy to devote to them either. I'm finally getting healthier now that I am in my 40's and our financial situation has improved greatly, but I still don't want kids and I am happy with my decision.

Comment

If you have children even if you think you couldn't afford them, many folks find ways to afford them by doing without things they previously thought they could never do without.
                          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Meet the Dugger Family.
                            I think they have 17 kids now. I have enormous respect for that family & the values they teach their kids.
                            The house is awesome & the family is too. Kind of like a modern Waltons.

I think she pops one out about every 10 months! so they can stop any time & get over the blessing of the lord for awhile...talk about fertile lower parts of the earth- good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Footprints1973 View Post
                              Another thing I've noticed-- a lot of people are walking around sick (with illnesses like the flu or cough) that linger on for months. Sometimes in conversation they will say they can't afford to go the doctor, or get meds, or whatever, even if they have insurance it is too expensive.

Any one else observe this or am I just seeing things?

Thanks,
                              Laura
                              That I see a lot of. If the job goes, the insurance goes.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X