top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't win~just filed and got another debt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't win~just filed and got another debt!

OK, I guess I will have to contact my attorney in the morning. We just filed a Chapter 7 last Wed.
    Now CableOne is claiming that we did not turn in a piece of equipment last Dec when we shut off their service and after 3 months they want $250 for it.
    I turned it all in the end of Dec and just threw the receipt away for all of it by serial number last week.
    I can't win as they say.
    It's a mistake on the cable company's part but how can I prove it? Without warning I get a past due with 15 days to pay or they will proceed to collections.
    Funny that I had no bills whatsoever from them for 3 months. What crooks!
    Now I wonder how much it would cost me to add them to the Chapter 7.
    It appears either way I will be out more money!

Do you remember the day of the week and when you turned the items in at the end of December? Or Approximately? Serial numbers would be on your original paperwork for the service of the equipment or they would have them on file and they would be able to find the items turned in for that month by scanning their records especially if dropped off in person. If you turned it in at one of their offices, video survellance cameras would put you right at the scene. I would have them doubly check records first and then bring the matter up to your attorney

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Yes, I do.
      In fact it was December 29th, between 1200 and 2 PM when I took the box with the cables, modem and 3 receivers to their offices locally after switching services.
      Like I said, I had to receipt until just before filing the BK.
      I am hoping this is a simple mistake on thier part and they will correct it.
      But knowing what shape many companies are in today it could be another way to get money too.
      I think I could beat this however if I had too. Why did I not get a bill for 3 months and then all of the sudden a 15 day notice and threat? OK, my word against theirs.
      But if I had this bill all along why would I not have included it with the recent Chapter 7?
      Makes sense to me if it had to go to court.
      Unfortunately I know that utility companies like to take care of one another. I have no personal experiences but I know others who could not get utilities connected when they moved in the past when they owed other companies money. You had to pay that bill off or pay an even bigger deposit to the new company.
      And I am not sure about video surveillance either, this was nearly 3 months ago.
      I suspect that someone in the company perhaps stole the HD DVR receiver that I had and the last person they show with it was me so they are charging me for it?? I don't know, it just makes me mad.

Comment

Since they are charging you, just BK the debt. List them as a creditor.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Cable/Satellite companies are stupid when it comes to returned equipment.
          Go back to the office you brought it to. When you initially turned it in. They initially had to to log it into the computer via serial number when you first walked up to the counter.
          What they do with it after point of acceptance isn't your problem. (Aisle 4 or 6, someone doesn't know) Force a serial number search through management, not the yoyo on the front desk.

Also, if you had online access, your serial numbers should be listed if not ion the bill itself, but in the equipment/service info area. Although you should not need it. It's not like you switched the units and turned it in.

Good luck, I had the same thing happen, and I shipped it UPS and had tracking they received it!

Comment

If you bk them, I wonder if they'll cut your cable service? You could always switch to dish or something else.

Comment

Hi Ken same thing happened to me with my cable co. I had moved and brought the equip into the center gave it to them. I had them come out and hook me up at my new place. Then all of a sudden got these notices and I threw all my stuff away also.. But my place wanted alot more than 250. Anyway after logging in 15 hours by phone and writting letters and calling supervisors I got them off my back. I really dont think they ever found it. They can be dummies for sure
              It'll be ok just a big fat pain in the buttski. I would go down there and talk to them and maybe a supervisor. Keep us posted this is way more usual than most think. Now? I keep the reciepts like forever and grill the person I'm talking to about logging it in right in front of me.
              Also AT & T also tried to charge me for a modem that wouldnt work..lol....I sent that back. How old are these people anyway?? Like 5? Stupid

Comment

Note that I am no longer with this company and our Chapter 7 was filed 3 days before I got this bill.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshirley View Post
                  Note that I am no longer with this company and our Chapter 7 was filed 3 days before I got this bill.
                  What's going on Ken?

Would be interesting to know if you can BK them. The bill is probably dated prior to the BK (or on the same day). I wonder if that would matter. (I am interested because I have some old cable equipment.)
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Like I said, I just got this bill yesterday. It's the first I have known of it. The last bill I had from CableOne was the last I paid in early Dec. This all seems a little strange.
                    I have heard people hear talk of amending their filings so I will assume it can be done but at what costs? I guess I will find out if it comes down to it.
                    The bottom line is like many our credit is shot. So even if I don't pay it and tell them to get lost and it's a mistake what difference will it make on our credit report? Not much as the Chapter 7 will show longer than the debt can.

Comment

Yes, but you "leased" the equipment prior to the BK, correct, and turned it in prior to filing.

BK the debt, they probably aren't going to fight you on a 250.00 bill in BK court.

Get nasty with them and tell them you will subpeona their records and their inventory and when they find it , they will be stuck with the bill and headache of the inventory search.

Or... they can just accept that you turned it in and they made a mistake.

I hate cable companies, they suck, they are overpriced and well, they suck....

Comment

Yes, the equipment all belonged to them. I only had service with them for two months before I got rid of CableOne. Lousy programming here, few HD channels in the lineup and lousy CS both in the local office and from the website they maintain as well.
                        And yes, this was in December I turned it all in. I did not file the chapter 7 until 3/11. That is why I was so shocked to get a bill after 3 months
                        I thought about the subpoena routine but if they are really crooks they have removed the records that show I turned it in.
                        I would rather approach this as a mistake on their part in the morning. The threats can come later if the need be.
                        I am betting that to file an amendment on the 7 will cost nearly what they want but it's the principal of it now. I don't owe them anything and I am convinced they are pulling a fast one. I know that a lot of jobs and people have left this area looking for work and they must have lost customers.
                        If I only had that receipt for the equipment!
                        I had satellite service for nearly 14 years. This is my first cable experience in that time, and you are right, they suck!

Comment

I believe the fee for an ammendment is 26.00
                          But if you are no asset, it doesn't really matter, since they can't file a proof of claim anyway.

Comment

Hey, if you are correct about that amount of money I will just have the attorney do it and add the debt.
                            I would almost rather walk into their office, tell them I consider what they are doing is fraud and then walk out.
                            Then wait until they try to collect and get notice of the BK!

Comment

An amendment to your schedules costs $26.00. If you have anything else you need to put on there, go ahead and use this opportunity.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X