Obamacare is working already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obamacare is working already!

My employer just informed us that our health insurance copay (the amount deducted from our paychecks to pay for health insurance) is going from $160/mo to $310/mo for a family of four. Thanks Obamcare! Somebody has to pay for the uninsured and guess who? Our company is doing us a favor by absorbing the cost push over until January 1. That is a $1,800/yr increase in our budget that is totally out of our control! Two more steps back without one step forward.
    Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Mine only increased by $286 a year, which is about the increase from the prior year before Health Care Reform was passed, the difference now is that I no longer have a co-pay for well visits like I did before health care reform passed. BTW, for my family of 3, that equals out to $146 in co-pays alone. Plus I no longer have to pay to have the tests done at the pediatricians office so that I didn't have to take more time off of work to go to an insurance approved lab.

Comment

Do you have any evidence that this was caused by the health care bill? I'm not saying it's not, but how do you know it is?

The firm I work for has informed us every year for at least the past 5 years of significant health insurance increases they've absorbed. Even without them passing the increases to us, my payroll deduction for 2 is twice your new deduction for 4 and has been for years. Health insurance premiums have been out of control for a long time.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
        Do you have any evidence that this was caused by the health care bill? I'm not saying it's not, but how do you know it is?

The firm I work for has informed us every year for at least the past 5 years of significant health insurance increases they've absorbed. Even without them passing the increases to us, my payroll deduction for 2 is twice your new deduction for 4 and has been for years. Health insurance premiums have been out of control for a long time.
        i agree, i wouldn't be so certain it's at the federal level...it's the insurance companies...squeezing us to death...and it's usually NOT on the federal level, but the state dept of insurance which allows the increases.

we have been extremely blessed ourselves with one of us taking an "early" state retirement which was designed by the state legislators to encourage early retirement. our medical insurance because of the bill pasts remains the same for the rest of our lives...so the federal government could not step and change that.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the huge increase was made in anticipation of Obozocare. With that said more and more companies will be looking to shift the premiums to the workforce. Then they will start to wonder why employee loyalty is in the crapper.

How is that change working out for everyone ??

Comment

My premium went up only $40 last year, but was told that it will go significantly higher next year due to insurance changes -- not employer changes. The health care bill did not stop the increase in costs... at all. I suspect that you'll see more cost increases in the next 2 years, above ordinary increases. My plan for four people is at $679/month.

At some point, I guess they'll consider mine a Cadillac plan since I never pay for office visits, wellness visits or any labs anyhow. I don't even want to see what that "tax" is going to be. And yes, I'm not happy.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              My premium went up only $40 last year, but was told that it will go significantly higher next year due to insurance changes -- not employer changes. The health care bill did not stop the increase in costs... at all. I suspect that you'll see more cost increases in the next 2 years, above ordinary increases. My plan for four people is at $679/month.

At some point, I guess they'll consider mine a Cadillac plan since I never pay for office visits, wellness visits or any labs anyhow. I don't even want to see what that "tax" is going to be. And yes, I'm not happy.

still....679 monthly is so high!

we do have to pay 10$ co pays for doctors visits...most of our meds are covered with a $10 co pay as well all tho a few meds are cheaper.

i know at my daughter's place of employment they told them all.......no more insurance... they gave each employee a "medical" allowance for the year in a "credit card" form...she has been with the company over 10 years. it's a non profit ...but that was so terrible. she had to put her children on a "state" plan...now she's in a great high ranking position makes ....good money...and still could not afford health care, even for her kids. her husband hasn't been covered for 5 years because (that's going to change since he FINALLY got a new job)...because they couldn't afford it.

companies...are trying to safe costs anyway they can.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the huge increase was made in anticipation of Obozocare. With that said more and more companies will be looking to shift the premiums to the workforce. Then they will start to wonder why employee loyalty is in the crapper.
              exactly...
              Last edited by tobee43; 09-04-2010, 12:55 PM.
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

You really shouldn't be blaming "Obamacare" for your premium increase. It is the private insurance companies (who also wrote most of the Obama's healthcare bill) that are raising rates only because they can, and it is the State legislatures that approve any insurance premium increase, not the Feds. State legislatures are easily bought off by the private insurance company lobbies.

The only provision that might affect the excessive profits of the insurance companies related to the new Health Care bill is the removal of the pre-existing condition FOR CHILDREN, beginning Sept. 23, 2010. Families with sick children should apparently just go bankrupt paying the medical bills for their children when the insurance companies refuse to insure them.

Pre-existing condition removal for adults does not go into effect until Jan. 1, 2014.

And in 2014, if the mandate survives, the insurance companies will have millions of healthy young adults paying premiums. This should decrease premiums for everyone as the healthy pool increases. Of course they will not decrease premiums without government regulation. And there is little in the bill that limits premiums. The Republicans made sure that was the case, including that turncoat Joe Lieberman.

The only way private insurance companies will limit premiums is if they have competition. But the public insurance option was killed in the bill. Thanks again, Republicans and Lieberman.

Health Insurance Companies Are Dramatically Increasing Premiums Due To The New Health Care Law And There Is Not Much We Can Do About It
                August 20, 2010
                http://inteldaily.com/2010/08/health...ance-premiums/
                “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

We needed healh care reform. Unfortunately, what was done wasn't enough. There should be no mandate without a public option. It's the only way to keep the insurance premiums from skyrocketing.

Comment

You really shouldn't be blaming "Obamacare" for your premium increase. It is the private insurance companies (who also wrote most of the Obama's healthcare bill) that are raising rates only because they can, and it is the State legislatures that approve any insurance premium increase, not the Feds. State legislatures are easily bought off by the private insurance company lobbies.
                    be still MY heart...you mean we actually agree on something!!! LOL!!!!!!

Comment

Heath Care Bill = New Way/Reason to make money for Insurance Company. They ignored Obama Law, or simply they don't care .. bill is passed or not passed!

As always, their business motto is to MAKE MORE MONEY$$ for past decades...and they don't care who can afford, who will die, or who will not, what law is it, who is new president, what party is it, etc... simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by BKOnce View Post
                        Heath Care Bill = New Way/Reason to make money for Insurance Company. They ignored Obama Law, or simply they don't care .. bill is passed or not passed!

As always, their business motto is to MAKE MORE MONEY$$ for past decades...and they don't care who can afford, who will die, or who will not, what law is it, who is new president, what party is it, etc... simple as that.
                        That is true and what is more these people are like any one of us..what about what if such things as you mentioned hit right at these people's "backyards"? We all ought to work together as an united front and stop being greedy
                        Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
                        Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

Spouse has medicare. Now the hospital and doctor are requiring payment of 20% upfront or reschedule appointments/treatment. Used to be able to apply for indigent fund (based on income)at the hospital(for help paying the 20%)-now only the uninsured can apply for fund. Dr. refused treatment until 20% is paid in advance-will only reschedule appointment when he has the money. This is ObamaCare!

Comment

Originally posted by buffy View Post
                            Spouse has medicare. Now the hospital and doctor are requiring payment of 20% upfront or reschedule appointments/treatment. Used to be able to apply for indigent fund (based on income)at the hospital(for help paying the 20%)-now only the uninsured can apply for fund. Dr. refused treatment until 20% is paid in advance-will only reschedule appointment when he has the money. This is ObamaCare!
                            No, it's not Obamacare. It's the doctor and hospital more concerned with their bottom line than with the patient.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                              No, it's not Obamacare. It's the doctor and hospital more concerned with their bottom line than with the patient.
                              Actually, it's both. Hospitals have always been concerned with their bottom line.
                              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X