top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should seat belts be required in my state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should seat belts be required in my state?

There is no seat belt law in my state if you're over 18. Should that change?

I remember when seat belts were required in California back when I was in college. At the time I thought it was wrong. I now believe it is a good idea.

The other night there was a car crash in my area. All 20ish year olds. 1 dead, 1 badly injured and 1 alive with minor injuries. Only 1 of these people had their seat belts on---guess who?

My thought are when you're 18 you're invincible like I thought I was when I was that age. Requiring someone to put their seat belt on takes that invincibility out of the equation and saves lives.

I wonder what the dead person would say?---or the severely injured person? Plus, who knows if that severely injured person even has health care so that means that you and I are flipping the bill.

This accident truly shows that I live in the Live Free or Die state. Or in the case of seat belts---Live Free and Die!!!

Logan

wow.........my car rolled over a ditch and tumbled 3 times...without a seat beat i would have been dead....it was the law in our state. i remember the er ...police...kept asking me where the driver was since the entire van was smashed...i kept telling them i was alone and they didn't believe me.....i crawled out of one of the smashed windows...i felt that seat beat hold me in during the entire rolling experience....if it wasn't for me having it buckled up...i'd be a goner.

i vote for seat belts law or not..
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

My husband was also in a roll over crash, and had he had his seat belt on he would not be here. The entire drivers seat was crushed. He ended up in the passenger seat, with nothing more than bruises.

It depends on the crash.

Personally, I typically wear my belt and my husband never does and I understand why.
      8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
      11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
        It depends on the crash.
        Absolutely.

I got hit and rolled over twice this past September, had my seat belt on and walked out with cuts and bruises...

Then again, twenty-something years ago I was thrown out of a car rolling downhill, and survived...had I worn my seat belt, I would've drowned for sure...

Some time ago, a moderator on one of the other forums that I participate in, a man with tremendous knowledge of vehicles and off-road driving, got killed when he was thrown out of his truck that rolled on a highway...no seat belt...nice guy...three kids...we were all heartbroken...

Good luck to us all...
        No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

it should be a personal decision.
          it is enough already with the nanny state mentality.
          stopped paying 5/16/2010
          filed 8/2/2010
          341 8/31/2010
          Report of no Distribution 9/1/2010 expected discharge 10/31/2010

Comment

Yes. Statistically it saves lives and prevents injuries. There is always the rare exception, however for the most part it is a very simple act that saves.

As to the freedom aspect I don't care what anyone else does if it cannot effect me. If you drive without a seat belt and become a quad because of your injuries I will be paying for that -- that is not fair to me simply because you don't care about yourself -- or others.

Now if someone wants to start an insurance company for people who don't like seat belts (or helmets on motorcycles) that will cover all of their medical costs for life then I say go for it.

Comment

I moderate on a forum that has hundreds (literally) of stories regarding the end result of seat belt use/non-use. My eyes were certainly opened. I was the mom that wouldn't start the car until everyone in the vehicle had their seat belt on - I am still that mom even though my kids are grown and gone.

My ex-husband (father of my children) retired as a police officer in a college town and the vast majority of fatal motor vehicle accidents that he responded to were due to lack of restraint or lack of a helmet. I will always vote for legislation to require both as I don't want to 'tote the note' as a taxpayer for those that feel their freedom is being infringed upon and wind up as a paraplegic or a quadriplegic due to this.

[/end rant]
              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by sepiid View Post
                I am completely in favor of seat belts. I always wear mine and think everyone else should too. BUT, I agree completely with your comment.

All of the rules and "laws" have gotten out of hand as the years have gone on. All rules made "for our own good" and to "protect us from ourselves".

Comment

Originally posted by sepiid View Post
                  The personal decision to not wear a seat belt affects more than just you. If you make a decision not to wear a seat belt, I hit you and you die or are severly inujured in an accident that would have caused a few cuts and bruises had you worn your seatbelt, I would be held responsible for the consequences of your personal decision. Even if you are at fault and you have insurance to cover your severe injuiries, everybody's insurance premiums are affected.

I suppose an alternative to a law requiring people to wear seat belts would be a law that prohbits insurance coverage for any injury incurred by somebody who is not wearing a seat belt, regardless of who caused the accident.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X